Respected Contributor

Re: The "Good Wife's Guide" 1955

@ECBG wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

It has been on Facebook. I think it's just a farse.

@Silver Lining No, real, lol!!!

@ECBG 

Oh, no. Please say it ain't so. I'm a feminist.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG thanks for posting.

My favorite is last line "A Good Wife Knows Her Place"

Esteemed Contributor
Honored Contributor

#14 Don't complain if he stays out all night? What the hey?!

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

@ECBG 

@Silver Lining Research can't be definitive!  Think of June Cleaver! (Mother on "Leave It To Beaver). So much of her life mirrored the article.

Regular Contributor

Actually many parts of this are real.  I have a cook booklet that belonged to my grandmother.  The first page or two were advice, and stated the things about fixing yourself up, grooming the kids, making him a great dinner, making him a drink.  It did not have the parts about it being ok if he goes out all night and such.

But even what was there made me laugh.  The words about knowing your place were not written, but inferred.  My how times have changed,

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

@ECBG 

@Silver Lining Research can't be definitive!  Think of June Cleaver! (Mother on "Leave It To Beaver). So much of her life mirrored the article.

You mean you really think this manual is just a farse?

Well, I was there and I can tell you, "You are correct!"  It wasn't quite like that.  We both worked, etc.

Trusted Contributor

Not sure anyone but the Cleavers ever achieved this state, but it was an ideal that was pushed. Good grief. 

Didja notice that, although you didn't know for sure what time hubby would be home, in the final minutes before that you were supposed to organize the kids, spruce up the house, rest, get pretty, and make the dinner and drinks?

Esteemed Contributor

Regarding #18 -- they tell us everything else but forgot to tell us exactly where our place is. I'm literal. I need specifics.

So, this is why my mom was one of the few working moms on the block. We kids did more housework, but we also had better snacks, bicycles and went on a vacation every summer. Dad wanted mom to stay home because he could provide. Mom said -- I just can't. She was an inspection supervisor at a phone company. She was also valedictorian of her high school class. No college but I thought she was great at everything - even if she didn't know her place. Thanks - fun post. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Regarding #18 -- they tell us everything else but forgot to tell us exactly where our place is. I'm literal. I need specifics.

So, this is why my mom was one of the few working moms on the block. We kids did more housework, but we also had better snacks, bicycles and went on a vacation every summer. Dad wanted mom to stay home because he could provide. Mom said -- I just can't. She was an inspection supervisor at a phone company. She was also valedictorian of her high school class. No college but I thought she was great at everything - even if she didn't know her place. Thanks - fun post. 

@jeanlake Love your post!Smiley Happy