Honored Contributor

Re: The guilt and inconvenience of not recycling

@depglass wrote:

Stuff is piling up around here, bags and boxes full.  It is so hard to hit hours at St. Vincent's two local stores when they are accepting merchandise. The grocery stores still have the "one in the room at a time" rule to return cans.  People are lined up with full grocery carts full of cans.  The libraries have appointment only hours and are not accepting used books like normal. Every one is in the same boat as I am. The only thing with no backup is the local dump.  Many people are just giving up and tossing things.   

Our recycling is picked up every 2 weeks by the city.  Most charities here are not accepting donations.  However, I did find one that is...Catholic Worker House. They offer a lot of support to the poor and homeless.  I just donated to them (instead of to DAV, my usual choice).   

Esteemed Contributor

Our area has recycle trucks picking up every two weeks.  Problem they keep changing the rules on what can be recycled.  Example no paper towels. Huh!  Cannot keep up with changes over and over again.  I do try but...... 

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@BlueFinch wrote:

Haven't checked elsewhere, but my local Goodwill donation station is open and busy.  There are always cars in the drive through being unloaded. I'm preparing some items to deliver this week.  

You might want to check out charities online.  If I'm correct, Goodwill is not really a charity, but "pretends" to be one.  It's really a private business. I forgot the name of the site, but it rates various charities.  Imho I'd rather dumpt my stuff into the trash before giving it to them as, imo, they operate under false pretense @BlueFinch

@eddyandme 

I just looked up Goodwill on Charity Watch, and it is "top rated."   Also checked with Charity Navigator.   I generally donate my surplus stuff to Goodwill because it's nearby and convenient.  You had me a little worried, but I saw no evidence of a problem with Goodwill.

@shoesnbags wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@BlueFinch wrote:

Haven't checked elsewhere, but my local Goodwill donation station is open and busy.  There are always cars in the drive through being unloaded. I'm preparing some items to deliver this week.  

You might want to check out charities online.  If I'm correct, Goodwill is not really a charity, but "pretends" to be one.  It's really a private business. I forgot the name of the site, but it rates various charities.  Imho I'd rather dumpt my stuff into the trash before giving it to them as, imo, they operate under false pretense @BlueFinch

@eddyandme 

I just looked up Goodwill on Charity Watch, and it is "top rated."   Also checked with Charity Navigator.   I generally donate my surplus stuff to Goodwill because it's nearby and convenient.  You had me a little worried, but I saw no evidence of a problem with Goodwill.

Sorry, didn't mean to stress you out.  I went by a chart whicch I've deleted from my faves on laptop.  The chart did not highly rate Goodwill Industries stating that they sold the donations.  Also lowly rated Red Cross 'cause too much monies are spent on administrative staff.  Just searched Goodwill on CN and has separate ratings per area.  Perhaps that'san improved rating system.  Anyways, didn't mean to mislead or upset you.  

Esteemed Contributor

Several bins for clothing have been removed from my area.     There used to be several locations and now it’s down to one.  The monthly recycling for bottles, etc is still being collected.