Respected Contributor

Re: The emailing family member.....

I agree '151949'.
Trusted Contributor

I know I'm guilty of texting vs. actually talking on the phone with people. Quite frankly, I hate answering the phone anymore.
Valued Contributor

Thank you all, I guess I did not give much detail, I just want to respect this persons privacy" even though it's just a forum where nobody knows anyone in real life. Well, it is a sibling, there are relatives with money that this person has always sought in a desperate way to impress, it's a very odd dynamic, so to not be in touch with me makes he/she look bad in terms of not getting along.

The problem is this person really doesnt give a you know what when it gets down to the nitty critty and that has been shown to me a number of times. I feel being untrue to myself by allowing this to continue. Over a period of ten years, can not pick up a phone and call and have a normal chat or visit us either.However I constantly get these ridiculous emails expressing little humorisms and nature pictures, but if I bring up a subject with any weight at all.......it goes silent. I am so feed up with this. I know I just needto confront, but the denial skills and arguements that would be launched back are like well stored grade A missiles. I had suggested some get togethers, that went silent, it is almost as if he/she is holding out for one of to just die, lol. Tired of thegames, you know you get to a point you get tired and sometimes you want or need to discuss things without rose colored glasses.

Valued Contributor

Re: how to get rid of the emailing family member.....

that would be on about the same level............

Valued Contributor

Well clearly, it is my post, what do you expect, if the person wont communicate with me, do you think they are going to come post to you, you honeslty your surmissing makes little sense. 151949

Trusted Contributor

I don't see any real need to "confront" this individual.  You find him annoying, but I don't see that he is doing anything really wrong by sending  you emails.  If you don't want to carry on an email interaction, just don't read or respond to his messages.  He will probably get the message and stop sending them soon enough.

Valued Contributor

Well clearly, I could figure that out myself, to just not answer is always rude and in no uncertain terms would discourage further emails. This is something I knew before I posted. When people are looking to uncover layers and figure out complicated relationships, it just kills me when people offer advice like yours. It essentially is worthless but thanks anyway. whereas another person would have a deeper reaction, but anytime you come to a forum like this, its a sure thing whats going to happen.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
I love emails. As a true introvert for as long as I can remember, I do not enjoy going to visit family and friends. Meeting for breakfast or lunch is tolerable, since I figure I can tolerate 1 1/2 hr visit where the conversation is usually light and pleasant. The reason I feel the way I do about visiting my family, is that someone always winds up resurrecting an old family topic, and I'm just really tired of hearing about all that stuff. I have cousins who are now talking about the same topics their parents talked to death when they were alive. We weren't there to know exactly what happened, and the people in the stories are long dead, so LET IT GO ALREADY! I love my cousins, but I absolutely do not enjoy being with them. An email, or a handwritten note at Christmas is my preferred contact. An email doesn't bore me near as much as a face to face meeting with someone I'd rather not see to begin with.
Respected Contributor

@blankette wrote:

Well clearly, I could figure that out myself, to just not answer is always rude and in no uncertain terms would discourage further emails. This is something I knew before I posted. When people are looking to uncover layers and figure out complicated relationships, it just kills me when people offer advice like yours. It essentially is worthless but thanks anyway. whereas another person would have a deeper reaction, but anytime you come to a forum like this, its a sure thing whats going to happen.

You asked for help with unwanted Emails, and owe an apology for your caustic response to those who tried to assist you with it.   My advice to "...uncover layers and figure out complicated relationships" is to get professional counselling.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Re: how to get rid of the emailing family member.....

@lolakimono wrote:

@blankette wrote:

I feel very unsettled that a very close family member ONLY communicates by email. Will never call, or visit, just absolutely evades genuine contact. I feel the tone of the emails are always very frivilous and lack depth, in fact I feel that this person is just keeping their foot in the door with me so they wont look like a failure in the eyes of other relatives that said person is trying to impress.

Start sending them forwards, jokes, and chain letters.  

Cat LOL

Forwarded email would make me want tp block that person.  I detest chain letters and do not bother to read forwarded jokes.