Valued Contributor

Re: The emailing family member.....

No, not really, this was meant in response to 15149 or whatever his her number is.......

quOTE.....

We are only getting one side of the story here. I can think of a hundred various stories that could be going on, and either side , or both could be in the wrong. But we will never know because we are only hearing a very carefully worded version of one side.

Honored Contributor

It is very clear that the OP here is unable to see any POV but her own, which could have a lot to do with why someone doesn't wish to communicate with her in person.

Respected Contributor

@blankette wrote:

No, not really, this was meant in response to 15149 or whatever his her number is.......

It doesn't matter who or what you were responding to.   Your rude comment warrants an apology. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

What difference does it make  ............  at least she is staying in contact!!!   I do not like talking on the phone for long periods of time, just not my thing!  A friend of mine threw away a 35 yr friendship over me not liking to talk on the phone, it is her loss, IMO!  

Valued Contributor

So if a close family member, maybe a father or mother or sister or brother, would only communicate with you by email you wouldnt mind? Never a personal call or in face visit, just emailing on the PC.....boy times are changing. NEVER anything but email and you are good?

Super Contributor

I prefer emailing or text over phone conversation myself.  After my stroke I am not much of a conversationalist and feel uncomfortable on the phone.  Through a text or email, the receiver can reply at his/her convenience as well.

Respected Contributor

Blankette, you began this thread with, "...Still family is not to be tossed but boy I sure feel like it,  I honestly hate , hate having to keep this pretentious "relationship" going. I guess I am enabling by responding? Normally when I talk to this person they have allot of impatience and attitude, I just hate this, I really do! Any suggestions."

In my estimation, you would complain about this person regardless how they chose to communicate with you.  If you sincerely want to cut the pretention, stop pretending you want more contact from this family member. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Most of my communication with my brothers is through texting. One brother lives across the road from me, and works night shift, so he tries to sleep the entire day while his wife is at work. The other brother lives about 7 miles away, and has a farm to attend. Texting is a convenient option for all of us. Mom lives directly across the road from me too. I haven't seen her for 2 weeks due to my kitchen remodel, but have checked on her by phone several times and waived at her from my porch.
Regular Contributor

I would tell her exactly what you feel about this and say it exactly as you wrote it and tell her that you would like something more than an email and ask her point blank if she would be interested in a visit or a call and if not, than tell her family or not, that it is too hurtful to continue emails with her but if she changes her mind, a call/visit would be welcome.  If you get a snarky response then stick to what you feel and just not comminicate with her further.  The ball is in her court but I bet she doesn't respond.

"You never know when the last time is the last time."

"You never know when the last time is the
last time."
Honored Contributor

@blankette wrote:

So if a close family member, maybe a father or mother or sister or brother, would only communicate with you by email you wouldnt mind? Never a personal call or in face visit, just emailing on the PC.....boy times are changing. NEVER anything but email and you are good?

I ended a 25 year friendship because of an email only relationship. My friend finally got a PC years ago and after that only wanted to communicate with me via email. I think she loved showing me how skilled she was at operating her computer, you know sending me pictures and links,etc.I remember inviting her over one day for tea and she said she'd rather just talk via email . I thought well I'm not intersted in that kind of relationship. I also have a sister who I only see maybe once or twice a year who would rather email me than pick up the phone. We all have are perceived hurts and slights, but a psychologist told me that if a relationship is bad for you, end it.