Esteemed Contributor

Re: The doctor said those words today

Sorry for your situation.  Please inquire about the many avenues of treatment and or therapy for you husband. 

Was he injured in the past? 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

My husband has had every test recommended in the neurological literature. He is taking the recommended medication for someone at his stage of dementia. One of my daughters accepts what is happening. The other is in as much denial as my husband is, She wants him to go through all sorts of medical trials. I know she doesn't want to hear the truth. She has attacked me for not doing more, despite the fact that I have taken my husband to a board certified neurologist who specializes in my husband's illness. I have to be strong so that I can deal with what's ahead.

Honored Contributor

(((((((((( Vivian )))))))))))

Honored Contributor

Darn it, @Vivian 😫

Denial has never helped anyone or anything. You're doing all you can. That's all anyone can do. Just concentrate on DH and muddle through the best you can. At least you'll have one daughter you can talk to/vent to/get sympathy & understanding from.

You might suggest to your other daughter that SHE take the bull by the horns. She needs to spend time on the phone researching clinical trials, then more time on the phone getting him in and there on time, week after week. Of course, it goes without saying that she'd have your husband's full cooperation, right? 😈 And if not, why, SHE can just "force" him to do what SHE thinks is best for HIM. She needs to get right on it.  

{{HUGS}}

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian Florimond~

I am so very sorry.

NAES

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Vivian

Heart to you and your husband.

Esteemed Contributor

Vivian - I'm so very sorry!  My good friend's husband's has Alz. and I know what she's going thru.  Know that I'll be praying for you both.

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

My husband has had every test recommended in the neurological literature. He is taking the recommended medication for someone at his stage of dementia. One of my daughters accepts what is happening. The other is in as much denial as my husband is, She wants him to go through all sorts of medical trials. I know she doesn't want to hear the truth. She has attacked me for not doing more, despite the fact that I have taken my husband to a board certified neurologist who specializes in my husband's illness. I have to be strong so that I can deal with what's ahead.

Only you kow what will need to be done.  Don't be shy to ask for help and remember, take care of yourself as well. 

I don't know you personally, but my heart aches for you and your situation.  I couldn't even begin to imagine what I would feel like or be like if my husband..........................

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Maria Shriver was just talking about Alz on a show I watch.  I had no idea that 2 out of every 3 people diagnosed with Alz are women.  Scary.

I feel nothing but compassion for your daughter who's having a tough time accepting this.  It's not like she's being rude, trying to make trouble, right?

As far as your husband's denial, who knows what we would think if it were us?

Give in and give up easily?  If your head isn't clear, nothing is clear, maybe.

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I think that your daughter is scared. I don't know how close she is to her Dad, but to go from seeing a man who was smart like a whip, and could take on the world, to how is now, can be scary.  I think that she is scared of losing the man she remembers that he was.

Also, she might be mad at the disease. But since she can't yell at the disease, she takes it out on you.

There is a very good reason why they call Alzheimer's " the long good-bye".

My heart goes out to you.

You have your plate full.

Allow yourself to cry, get mad and scream.

I am sending you many, many hugs.