Regular Contributor
Here is the truth.
When a human body is dependent on alcohol and stops the Intake that the body has become dependent on , the body revolts.
Blood pressure all around becomes erratic .
Blood sugars become erratic.
The heart becomes erratic.
The brain needs time to get used to the alcohol not being there.
Seizures happen from withdrawal.

I am tired of the stigma attached to the real physical truth.
Alcohol is a unregulated substance that is powerful.
May god bless any human being caught up in this dependency .

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Today was a sad day for my family. I lost a niece to the demons of alcohol.  She was only about 40 yrs old with 9 children of which the oldest is only 24. She had been in rehab several times but walked away and went back to her best friend the booze bottle. I'm writing this to say that this was not necessary and she had so much to live for. I guess I'm  just needing to express my feelings and this is my way of doing it.  She was the second child of one of my sisters (I have 3 of 4 left) and her mom which is the sister who died in 2017 was also a alcoholic and also died from  the same demon.  One would think my niece would have pushed hard to get away from the demon knowing how it took her mom but that was not the case. We all have something we are dealing with in this world and sometimes you think you will never be free of it but keep pressing forward and never let it take complete control of your precious life. God Bless  

@Goodie2shoes 

So sorry for your loss, but many hundreds of thousands of people are capable of drinking in moderation.  The problem is alcoholism, which is a disease (not a "demon") like cancer or heart disease.   It is often a hereditary disease, passed through the generations.  Again, sorry for your loss.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Demons of alvohol???  Are writing this from 1821?  My sympathy to you and your family but your niece had a disease.  Demons and moral failures had nothing to do with it.  Alcoholism is a disease like heart disease or pulmonary disease any other disease.  While some people have the support and treatment needed to overcome the addiction to alcohol; some are not as fortunate.  The ones like your niece.  Rather than throwing God Bless around like it's confetti.  You should have conversation with God about your lack of empathy and your lack of sympathy and compassion for your niece's struggle.  

@chrystaltree 

My reaction was the same as yours.   ITA with your comments.

Respected Contributor

Re: The demons of alcohol

[ Edited ]

@chiclets wrote:

Alcoholism is not a disease.

Alcoholism is an addiction.

Alcoholism is caused by an individual choice. A person can drink or not drink. It is a habit.

A person can drink, smoke, or do drugs which may lead to an addiction. This addiction may cause the individual's own body to progress into diseases of their own making within their body. Thus alcoholism is an addiction.

@Goodie2shoes...condolences to you and your family.

@chiclets 

Absolutely true. Drinking alcohol is a choice. There are various reasons why a person drinks which is okay as long as he/she controls how much and how often.

Alcoholism is not a disease. Drinking is a choice. It might become a habit which could become an addiction. That's up to the them. Heavy drinking can damage one's heart, liver, kidneys, pancreas, brain cells, etc. which could have been preventable.

Things like cancer are diseases. People who are sick from diseases can't just decide to get well. Alcoholics can if they want to stop drinking. They can do it on their own or with friends or family or AA, or a doctor or insurance if they have it. I don't know about Medicaid but If they are on Medicare they can get free services for alcoholism. 

Esteemed Contributor

@peggyhbsl wrote:
Here is the truth.
When a human body is dependent on alcohol and stops the Intake that the body has become dependent on , the body revolts.
Blood pressure all around becomes erratic .
Blood sugars become erratic.
The heart becomes erratic.
The brain needs time to get used to the alcohol not being there.
Seizures happen from withdrawal.

I am tired of the stigma attached to the real physical truth.
Alcohol is a unregulated substance that is powerful.
May god bless any human being caught up in this dependency .

@peggyhbsl 
I am a recovering alcoholic and have had 2 heart attacks. Never had high or erratic blood pressure. With my 2 heart attacks, both being caused by the exactly the same thing, my heart was never erratic, it just wasn't pumping blood to certain parts of my body.
I have never had erratic blood sugar readings, and I have had several hundred blood draws over the decades. Most I must admit, were for INR/ProTime readings, and also for my blood Ferritin readings.
I quit alcohol the same way I quit smoking/eating meat and gambling. All Cold Turkey. 
Withdrawal/Seizures? Not a trace. I expressed all my views and experiences with Maternal and Fraternal Predispositions for both. Heart disease I held off for over a decade, but beings it is an actual organ/muscle in my body? I had little choice of things I could quit. Booze? I had/have I choice and I took, and am still sticking with that choice over 2 decades later, 1 day at a time.
Alcoholism a disease like Cancer and CAD?  'Fraid not!
hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn 

John, what is "CAD"?

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@hckynutjohn 

John, what is "CAD"?

Coronary Artery Disease

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes ...first of all, I want to say that I am very sorry for your loss.

Secondly, I want to say that if you feel alcohol is a demon, then go ahead and feel what you feel. I agree with you. Don't let other posters inflict their negative feelings upon you. You have a right to feel the way you feel. Others have a right to express their opinion about the subject, but have no right to tell you that you are wrong about what you feel and think. 

I will be thinking about you and pray for you to get through this painful time you are going through.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

Alcoholism causes diseases like liver problems, but IMO is not a disease itself. People can argue that point forever, and no one will change their minds on what to call it: an addiction or disease. No point in belittling someone who feels differently (as I've seen certain posters do). If someone thinks alcoholism is a disease, so be it, even if I don't agree. 

But going with that mindset, maybe cigarette smoking could be a disease instead of an addiction.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@hckynutjohn 

John, what is "CAD"?

@Tinkrbl44 

Coronary Artery Disease

hckynut 

hckynut(john)