Trusted Contributor

My condolences on the loss of your niece, how terrible for her children.

Honored Contributor

Re: The demons of alcohol

[ Edited ]

My sister is an alcoholic so I do understand your point of view. I have had to distance myself some because her lies and abuse (of me). It is a disease, just like diabetes or cancer, and hard to overcome. I pray every day that she'll take recovery seriously but it hasn't happened yet.

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry. It is a family Disease that seems to run in families. I hope the children do learn and cope. I was sheltered from Alcohol abuse and married two. One recovered and thought I wish I knew what alcoholism was earlier in life. 

I am glad you feel comfortable to share here and know many of us can identify in one way or another. It is so hard near a festive time of year to cope with losses. God Bless you also. I again am so sorry for what you are going through.

Respected Contributor

Sorry for your loss.  Hard one to accept.  

Respected Contributor

so terribly sorry for your family. I am an alcoholic with 41 years sobriety. It can be done. AA was instrumental.

'Both of my children don't smoke, drink or use any drugs.

I take no credit----the grace of God.

There is hope for your nieces' kids----Al Anon

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

"It is a disease, just like diabetes or cancer, and hard to overcome:

@CalminHeart 

I disagree! Alcoholism is not like cancer or diabetes. It would be an option for me to say, "although my male DNA might classify me as having a genetic predisposition", it was/is something I can control. Easy? Of course not, as I explained in my other post.

Now my "maternal DNA for Coronary Artery  Disease ", I could/cannot 100% control. Made every change possible to change my physical fitness and put only food in my body with the lowest risk of possibly causing a Cardiovascular Event. Because it is a genetic predisposition, I still have had 2 Heart Attacks.

With a true disease I could not 100% control the outcome. With my Alcoholism, I could/can 100% control my outcome. Having a Predisposition from my Male donor making it a much more difficult life, it is under my control, unlike my Maternal Predisposition to Heart Disease which wasis not 100% under my control.

I will never consider my Alcoholism as comparable to my CAD, because it is not a 100% preventable, ". With Alcoholism a I had/have a choice, thus in my view, it is an Addiction Only. It should never be considered the same as Cancer or Diabetes.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn 

@CalmInTheHeart 

I disagree! Alcoholism is not like cancer or diabetes.

I totally agree with you John, I have had Type 2 diabetes for over 20 years and as long as I took my medication, I didn't follow strict guidelines on what I should eat. I don't drink or smoke so my only demon was food including chocolate. After my bout with a post knee replacement knee infection last year and having to have a 2nd knee replacement, I decided to make a drastic change. I am now off diabetes meds for over 1 year and my A1C is now down to 5.5. Diet change was huge in bringing diabetes under control. I have lost over 40 lbs and I feel so much better!   Glad you are able to control your alcohol consumption and keep doing what you can to control your CAD. Blessings to you and your family this Holiday season !   

Honored Contributor
I’m so sorry for your loss.

DH doesn’t drink and I drink almost never and I cannot be around anyone who is drunk - due to past family experiences.
Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

@hckynutjohn 

@CalmInTheHeart 

I disagree! Alcoholism is not like cancer or diabetes.

I totally agree with you John, I have had Type 2 diabetes for over 20 years and as long as I took my medication, I didn't follow strict guidelines on what I should eat. I don't drink or smoke so my only demon was food including chocolate. After my bout with a post knee replacement knee infection last year and having to have a 2nd knee replacement, I decided to make a drastic change. I am now off diabetes meds for over 1 year and my A1C is now down to 5.5. Diet change was huge in bringing diabetes under control. I have lost over 40 lbs and I feel so much better!   Glad you are able to control your alcohol consumption and keep doing what you can to control your CAD. Blessings to you and your family this Holiday season !   

I am happy for you but not all diabetics can go on a diet and suddenly they no longer are showing the disease. Type 1 diabetics aren't so lucky. I have heard it compared to alcoholism and having had many relatives with alcoholism, I am not so lucky that I can put down the 6 injections I take per day and live to talk about it. Just not a comparison, like John said in his post, that I think is valid.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes, I am sorry for the loss of your beloved niece. May she rest in peace and be with the angels....