Respected Contributor

Re: The day my best friend past away still haunts me!!

I lost my best friend 7 years ago. She was 67 when she died. I will always miss her. She died of cancer so it wasn't a shock. She suffered terrible. I always go back in my mind to the times when we were silly, sad and honestly just together. I do not have a sister and she became mine. We did everything together. We could spend all day together and talk on the phone at night. DH would say what could you possibly have to say. We would blast our favorite songs in the car and sing. We both loved to shop. She loved to dance. When she was very sick she said she was glad that she didn't  know the last time she danced. She was beautiful inside and out. I was so blessed and lucky to have her. She loved life and I loved her.

Frequent Contributor

@NicksmomESQ, my condolences to you. This thread is filled with wonderful support, information, and care. Your friendship sounds like it was a true blessing and though it's hard I hope you can concentrate on that. Live your life with joy as your dear friend would want. Take care.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nicksmom, please don't beat yourself up. I have a friendship similar to the one you described. We live a continent apart now but we are very close in every other way, so I can understand how tragic your friend's loss has been for you. There really was nothing you could have done to save her. Most people who complain of heartburn have heartburn and nothing more. If she had complained of a headache during that phone call, you wouldn't have told her to have a brain scan.

Your friend may have feared something serious was happening but she didn't tell you that. Remember, she didn't tell you about her previous heart issue so how could you begin to even guess what was happening? Years ago, one of my former student advisees called me. We had a very bad cell phone connection so we couldn't really have a good conversation. A week later he committed suicide. I tortured myself for a long time about what I could have and should have done to save him. Later, I learned that he had called every friend during the week before he died. He was saying good-bye to everyone who meant something to him. We had all been beating ourselves up for not realizing what was going to happen. Now I realize there was nothing I could have done during that conversation. I'm honored that I was one of the people he called.