Esteemed Contributor

Re: The aches and pains of aging have taken me by surprise.

@ID2

@haddon9 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Sorry everyone seems to be falling apart. Just a tip what worked for me.  Several years ago my dh and I decided to start walking. We power walk now every day about 6 miles. I've lost 70 lbs and have kept it off through my walking regime. I have no aches or pains. When my mom was my age (69) she was already planning her first hip replacement. I'm a firm believer that you just can't be complacent. Making myself get out and move has done wonders with my health and body. Give it a try ladies. I'm sure your doctors would agree that my lifestyle prevents unnecessary problems later in life. JMO

@ID2 Thanks for the positive and uplifting post!

@haddon9 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Sorry everyone seems to be falling apart. Just a tip what worked for me.  Several years ago my dh and I decided to start walking. We power walk now every day about 6 miles. I've lost 70 lbs and have kept it off through my walking regime. I have no aches or pains. When my mom was my age (69) she was already planning her first hip replacement. I'm a firm believer that you just can't be complacent. Making myself get out and move has done wonders with my health and body. Give it a try ladies. I'm sure your doctors would agree that my lifestyle prevents unnecessary problems later in life. JMO

@ID2 Thanks for the positive and uplifting post!

Yes, thank you.  I will be 87 in 11 days and still exercise. Have 4 years. I have aches and pains, but don't let that stop me.

I do something easy on those days, but walk everyday.

Good for you.

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 

Happy Birthday.  My sister just had her second knee replacement at 53.  She was quite heavy and I feel if she had lost weight, maybe could  have avoided it, by losing weight before, but she is happy and that is all that matters.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess at 87, I am pretty lucky, but have exercised and still for 65+ years and take all my vits. D a big one and B12.

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition Thank you! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcaddition 

Just adding that I will be 84 in 4 days. Unfortunately I had a big change in my life right after turning 83. It actually started a  month or so prior.

When ice skating I always wore my Chest Heart Rate Monitor(I have 2 exactly the same). I noticed my Heart Rate was not acting as it had the prior 5 years since I restarted skating, which was 3 days a week, 2 hours each session.

My first thought was it might be the Monitor. However, when I manually checked my heart rate, the monitor was not the problem. My heart rate was getting much higher, even when just casually skating. That, plus my recovery rate was much slower than in past years.

From there I chalked it off as "just 1 of those days", which are not uncommon when my body has not fully recovered from my previous maximal workouts. My next skate was 3 days later, and! Same thing, my heart rate was much higher, and my recovery rate much slower.

My first thought was my Heart's Ejection Fraction(EF) Numbers. These are read via an Ultrasound. I made an appointment to see my Cardiologist. He was on vacation so it was 6 weeks before I could see him. At my appointment I mentioned EF as my guess diagnosis. He agreed, thus he scheduled an Ultrasound.   

Sadly those numbers indicated CHF once again. He advised me to quit skating and to lower the intensity of my workouts at home. That was at the end of June 2022.

Long enough. Have a Happy June Birthday and may you continue to keep on doing what you are now doing to feel good and stay well.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn 

Sorry about what has been happening.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.  If I remember correctly,  your BD also in June.

I do need 2 slow down a little.  I do stop and smell the roses or sit during the day and take a rest.

I do have alot  to keep up with yards and home.  The difference now is, if I don't get to a certain chore, it will wait for tomorrow.

I put things to do on a list and scratch off as it gets done.  This way it gets out of my head and I don't think about it, just do it. If I don't,  mananna.

Super Contributor

This post reminds me of the poem:

Old Folks Are Worth A Fortune

Old folks are worth a fortune,
with silver in their hair,
gold in their teeth,
stones in their kidneys,
lead in their feet and
gas in their stomachs.

I have become a lot more social
with the passing of the years,
some might even call me a frivolous old gal.
I’m seeing five gentlemen every day!

As soon as I wake, Will Power
helps me get out of bed.
Then I go see John.
Then Charley Horse comes along,
and when he is here he takes a lot
of my time and attention!
When he leaves, Arthur Ritis shows
up and stays the rest of the day.
He doesn’t like to stay in one place very long,
so he takes me from joint to joint!
After such a busy day,
I’m really tired and glad to go to bed,
with Ben Gay!

P.S. The preacher came to call the other day.
He said that at my age I should be
thinking about the hear-after.
I told him I do, all the time.
No matter where I am,
in the kitchen or down in the basement,
I ask myself, “Now what am I here after?”

Respected Contributor

I've experienced a lot of aches and pains in the last 20 years or so. My usual attitude is, if I ignore it, it'll go away. But of course it doesn't so I just take some pain medicine and am glad it's availble to me.