Honored Contributor

Re: The aches and pains of aging have taken me by surprise.

@house_cat I've gotten a lot of similar minor aches and pains.  I call them minor because even if they are intense they are usually gone within hours or by the next day.

One weird thing that happened to me last June....I was stretching (sometimes weird things happen when I am stretching a bit to much) my feet when all of a sudden my left foot hurt a lot.  I think I must have stretched it too much. 

Well for a few days (which lasted longer than usual with various pains) my foot at the big toe joint got red and a bit swollen.  When the swelling went down I suddenly had a bunion which I never did before.  Almost a year later it's still there....weird!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I've found that my teeth have gotten brittle.  A couple of months ago I chipped a front tooth, don't know how.  And last night I broke off half of a back molar.  That's a major anxiety for me cause I hate the dentist (bad experiences as a child) and the major expense it will be.

@Scooby Doo I have a filling that I think fell out and my dentist appointment is for the middle of June.  I just know it's going to be another root canal.  

Though I like my dentist....the person....I hate going to the dentist!...the torture and expense!

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Sorry everyone seems to be falling apart. Just a tip what worked for me.  Several years ago my dh and I decided to start walking. We power walk now every day about 6 miles. I've lost 70 lbs and have kept it off through my walking regime. I have no aches or pains. When my mom was my age (69) she was already planning her first hip replacement. I'm a firm believer that you just can't be complacent. Making myself get out and move has done wonders with my health and body. Give it a try ladies. I'm sure your doctors would agree that my lifestyle prevents unnecessary problems later in life. JMO

@ID2 Thanks for the positive and uplifting post!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I am fortunate that the only pain I had was my right knee and leg. It was awful and I could hardly walk.  Some nights I had to sleep on the couch in the family room because I couldn't do stairs.

I had to stop shopping for groceries because I couldn't  get in or out of the car and couldn't manage walking at all.

Finally, I had a total knee replacement.  I feel wonderful, no more pain.  I also was diagnosed with extremely low Vitamin D levels which can cause bone pain...and it did.

Between the knee surgery and taking Vitamin D, my pain is gone.  I just turned 69 this week.

i wasn't surprised by my knee pain.  They started to hurt about 30 yers ago.  

The only thing I don't like about aging is how I am treated as being old by medical providers.

I have even have had to remind a few of them that my cogntive skills were intact and my memory is probably better than theirs.  My hearing has always been exceptional and it still is.

I am amazed at the thought of once you reach 65, you can't remember, can't hear, need glasses to read and need help understanding how to fill out paperwork and the medical portals.

@Carmie Sorry for all of your aches & pains.  I make sure my Vit D levels are good and take supplements religiously.

Happy belated birthday!  I also turned 69 this past week!

Honored Contributor

@haddon9   Happy Birthday.  May you celebrate in good health.

Esteemed Contributor

I am seventy nine and no replacement parts including teeth! I take Vitamin D daily and that has noticeably helped. Everything is as it always was but I do have less energy.
Respected Contributor

@IMW wrote:

You're not alone. I've had terrible pains ---arthritis mainly for years since my mid 50's. First time I saw rheumatologist for my back I was 44. I told him I was too young for arthritis and he said no you're not.

''I'm 71 now and take gabapentan,naproxen and medical marijuana, muscle relaxers.

The marijuana over time has helped enormously. I can't walk more than 1/2 a block, but am ok in the house.

I'm very grateful I'm not writhing in pain like I used to be.

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis this year, just changed meds BUT I was amazed at how pain free I was after taking a marijuana chewy. Just a teeny bit to try and WOW. So when I have a bad day, I know it's there, legal here so I can get anytime. 

Respected Contributor

Yes.  I've noticed.  BEST thing for that is exercise.  I began riding bike and now I dor four miles a day and light weight work for upper body.  My muscles are developing AND I have more strength and endurance.  I get some aches but they've diminished since I started my regimen.  A nice plus is that I lost over 20lbs. too. 

Respected Contributor

My mother had what you have.  I'm sorry.  I watched my mother suffer terribly.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie Thank you! Smiley Happy