Honored Contributor

Re: The aches and pains of aging have taken me by surprise.

I am fortunate that the only pain I had was my right knee and leg. It was awful and I could hardly walk.  Some nights I had to sleep on the couch in the family room because I couldn't do stairs.

I had to stop shopping for groceries because I couldn't  get in or out of the car and couldn't manage walking at all.

Finally, I had a total knee replacement.  I feel wonderful, no more pain.  I also was diagnosed with extremely low Vitamin D levels which can cause bone pain...and it did.

Between the knee surgery and taking Vitamin D, my pain is gone.  I just turned 69 this week.

i wasn't surprised by my knee pain.  They started to hurt about 30 yers ago.  

The only thing I don't like about aging is how I am treated as being old by medical providers.

I have even have had to remind a few of them that my cogntive skills were intact and my memory is probably better than theirs.  My hearing has always been exceptional and it still is.

I am amazed at the thought of once you reach 65, you can't remember, can't hear, need glasses to read and need help understanding how to fill out paperwork and the medical portals.

Esteemed Contributor

An exercise program for flexibliabilty can often work wonders as we age.  Takes some of the stiffness away.

Won't cure us, but will life easier.  I have taught beginner yoga and am always amazed that so many can't even touch their toes.

Esteemed Contributor

I am 87 and it just started.  My whole right side from foot to neck is in pain.  I just saw Dr. yesterday.  I had an xray for hip area and am having a CS for head.  Medication for foot.

I was fine up u,.ntil a couple of weeks ago, and I am still getting alone OK. 

I had to change my exercise routine.  Slower on the treadmill, and lower my weight training.  Exercise is what has kept me going all these years, but could also have done some damage, because I do alot.

Will see what the test show.  At least my BP is OK.

Just some minor adjustments.

Hope you all have some relief.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll be 67 in a few weeks & consider myself lucky. Yes, I do have aches & pains that suddenly appear & disappear.I never know from day to day what pain will surface. 

18 months ago I tore my rotator cuff lifting some heavy textbooks. I went through many months of PT.My shoulder is fine now. I had pain in my left knee on & off for years, that caused me to limp when it acted up. I started walking 30 minutes every day & the pain is basically gone.I have TMJ. When it acts up I take Advil & apply ice to my cheek. I'm very careful about chewing anything dense.

I'm not on any prescription medication & rarely go to the doctor.I have less energy than I used to. It takes longer for me to do things but I also have more time.

I push through & don't complain. Life is too short & I want to enjoy my time with my DH & kids. As life throws lemons at me, I do my best to turn them into lemonade.

Honored Contributor

I sometimes say to my husband,  "What hurts on you today."  That one answer that's good is my hair.  Hold up one strand.  LOL  You aren't alone.  Add to it, the snap, krackle, and pop of bones.  Used to describe a cereal, now it's an old body description.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat 

Are you alone? A very definitive no. Reasons vary, some because of inactivity/some genetic/some because of active lifestyle and injuries/others, who knows why?

From the young age that I started playing ice hockey, I have always had some type of pain. At first they seemed terrible, as time moved on, to me they were just a part of my regular days.

Starting at 30 years old I decided my body was my temple and proceeded to learn as much as possible about the human body, more specifically, my body.

If I had a health risk I could eliminate, I did so. If I had an injury and did know how to treat, I researched until I found an answer. These risks also included all my body joints and connective tissues. Found out the best ways to keep them functioning well, even when slightly injured.

As you know, there are degrees of pain. Anyone that has been in the hospital or ER has heard: from 1-10 what is your pain level? For me it has more to do with function than with pain.

With surgeries, when the doctor would tell me, "you can't injure it any further, but you will feel a lot if pain"!  I was ready to do what I always did, get back to doing it. Pain was just an annoyance.

If more people would learn about the functions of the human anatomy, it would be much clearer why they suffer from different types of pain. Take a microscopic look at your body/your job/your activities/your risks/your genetics.

No, my days are not an adventure, not the type you describe. My body aches and pains are just another part of the life I have chosen to live. When I have a pain, more than likely I know why, and do what's necessary.

Most times, that is to just ignore it. I can't even remember the last time I took any type of pain killer. Because of my Congestive Heart Failure(CHF) I have no longer been able to ice skate. Each skating session, 2 hours prior, I would take 1-500mg Tylenol, that's it.

Long enough. Moving on now!!!!!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Yes!   I will be 70 in  July.  I was so much better physically only 4 years ago.  Went on a 3 week trip to Europe and WALKED all over with no problem.  Since then I have had a hip replacement and foot surgery and I am not the same person.  Lots of arthritis has suddently kicked in.  Why so suddenly I am not sure.  Just crazy.  Surely NOT the "golden years"!  hahaha.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat   I have this often.  I call it Traveling Arthritis"  All of a sudden my wrist hurts for no reason, a couple days later it is totally just gone but maybe it is my ankle that hurts, that leaves then a finger locks up and on we go.  Somewhere different all the time.  Comes suddenly and leaves suddenly to travel elsewhere.

I do have constant back pain, but it does move to different areas.  Stays in upper left muscle all the time, but also shows up elsewhere in back without warning.  

Getting older is hard.  We are plucky people to get thru it with our humor intact and thankful it is not worse.

Trusted Contributor

I have been fortunate, without any major issues for most of my life but it seems that the past 3 or 4 years have been a real challenge. I just turned 70 on Monday and I really do feel it right now but I think part of it is due to the cold dampness that we have, I want sunshine! But 2 years ago I fell in our family room, I broke the humeral head of my shoulder, nothing could be done so it had to heal on its own. Long story short, my T2 diabetes went wild, I ended up in keto acidosis and was rushed to the hospital...we have had many set backs but all in all I did well and though I still have pain from time to time after the hospital stay and a few weeks in a rehab facility working with a physical therapy team I'm good. But I have to say, I never bounced back to my old self. Spending 5  or 6 months on a couch/bed and not working was hard on me, I was used to working 12+ hour days. It was a long haul getting back, including the need for seeing a therapist to regain my confidence and sense of self.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

@house_cat NO, you do not have a monopoly on aches and pains.  My momma always said  she was in her snapdragon years, what didn't snap was draggin!

With all my aches/pains I truly relate to your dilemma.   Keep your chin up and keep the feet in  motion.