Honored Contributor

The aches and pains of aging have taken me by surprise.

[ Edited ]

Have the aches and pains of aging taken you by surprise?  I remember my mom talking about it, but of course I was young then and didn't think it would happen to me.. well, I was wrong. Here I am at 64, in "good health" according to my recent medical tests, but every day brings a new inexplicable pain. In fact, the pains can come and go several times in a day.

For instance... I'm walking from my car to school one morning and suddenly I have a pain in my foot that is so intense it causes me to limp into the building.  An hour later I notice it's gone, only to realize later in the day that I can't lift my arm above my head because it hurts so badly. The next day that's gone and my back hurts... another day it's my knee and the list goes on and on.

I understand that there are people, like my husband, who are in pain all day every day with conditions they did not deserve.  I have tremendous empathy for him and others, but those are not the pains I'm talking about here.... it's the mysterious, seemingly random pains that come with aging. Every day is a new adventure, for which I was not prepared.

Am I alone?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: The aches and pains of aging have taken me by surprise.

WELL.... I am 75 and was doing pretty well until about 4 months ago ..

The joint aches have come on me all of a sudden ....knees got bad

almost overnight ....my thumbs joints are bad ....but as you said ..

what hurts one day doesn't hurt the next ....

So I guess its just age ....

Honored Contributor

You aren't alone. I'm several years older than you and can relate. It really wasn't until last summer that I noticed a change in stamina. 

I act like I'm 30 sometimes but my body knows it's much older. I am active, exercise, and walk almost every day. 

Last year, I built a stone wall and tore my rotator cuff and bicep. I won't be doing that again. 

Yesterday, I dug up the top 2" of lousy soil along one side of my house, dug a deep hole for a new bush, and put down some good soil.  I had to sit down halfway through all this. I still have one more bush to plant but it'll wait a day or two.

After I was done yesterday, I walked into the end of a 2" diameter branch that was exactly the height of my recent knee surgery. I'm still limping today.  

I held my 60 yr old brother while he died last week. He suffered a 3+ year long and very painful death. I can take some aches and pains.

Trusted Contributor

@CalminHeart 

So sorry for your loss.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a year older than you.  I know exactly what you are talking about and I hate it.  I too am in basically good health per my doctor.  I've got sleep issues - hate that, digestive system issues that are more than an annoyance- can be painful at times for days.  I get muscular aches similar to fibromyalgia that do come and go, sometimes off and on in a short time period.  I have a skin autoimmune since childhood and just a few months ago developed a second one that turned me into a red burning itching lobster.  Thank goodness for dermatology.  My derm got it under control, for now.  I am grateful that none of this is life threatening. I do my best to eat well and I take a long walk every day for exercise. It sucks getting older.  Yeah I know, it is better than the alternative.

@house_cat 

Have a great day and keep looking for the positive.  We can be tough!

Honored Contributor

Acetominophen is my best friend.  Im 78 and have fibromyalgia and the Acetominophen keeps it in check.  I also have other aches and pains such as arthritis.

Yes I deal with mild to moderate pain daily.  So no you are not alone.  I just keep moving slowly and deal with it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I'm terribly sorry this has happened to you. 

Right now I have a sore neck because I slept wrong two days ago.

Honored Contributor

I have arthritis is some of my fingers and can be painful at times.

I have total hearing loss in my right ear in which a hearing aid will not be helpful. Only a transplant.

My knees hurt when I first stand up.

We just returned from a bus trip to Albuquerque and Sant Fe so that's a lot of sitting. Now my right hip has some pain that wasn't there before as well as my lower back.  Ibuprofen and Voltron's cream will help.

I'd better get in better shape before our NYC trip this summer.

So yes, different aches and pains at different times.

DH and I turn 70 this year 🥳

Esteemed Contributor

No you are not alone.   I am only 62 and have noticed a change in my stamina also.  Though luckily I can still do circles around some of my friends and my younger sister.

That being said I am at this time in fairly good health.  Just a little cholesterol to monitor and cancer free now for eight years.  After having an illness like that you will never hear me complain.  I do however suffer with bursitis in my left hip and sciatic but I think sometimes we just ignore it and keep going, LOL!   I also have arthritis in my tailbone and yes I get unexplained pains in my feet!   I refuse to alter my lifestyle..........we work out consistently and eat a pretty good diet so we do our best to keep the moving parts moving!!  

@CalminHeart My sympathies for your loss.

Trusted Contributor

Recently both my shoulder joints started bothering me, my left side more, hard to sleep on that side with the throbbing pain and not to mention can't do alot of things with my arms like I used to, family and friends recommended creams, sprays, patches, etc., you name it, nothing worked with my other arthritic pains.

I went to CVS to pick up meds and passed the aisle that had Aspercreme Roll-On w/Lidocaine on sale, figured what the heck I'll try this roll-on.  It numbed the pain almost immediately, I use it per instructions, it's been over a month now and the pain and stiffness has subsided some, never had faith in these OTC arthritis medications, but I think I'll stock up on this roll-on going forward.