Esteemed Contributor

The Stones retire, then come back.  It's always about the MONEY.  If they were able to play on the moon it would be because they got a boatload to do so. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

Re: The Stones in Cuba"

[ Edited ]

@Frosted Cake wrote:

I think it is cool that they played there free.

I just don't understand why the Rolling Stones were chosen.   Perhaps it's a bit of Americana.   I think I feel this way because I don't think their music resonates with everyone.    You either like that kind of rock 'n roll or not.  I just was curious why they didn't choose a more middle of the road group.

I don't care that the Stones are older.  I applaud them that they can still be relevant and have music to share all these years later.

I think they were chosen to symbolize change and acceptance..  Up until very recently, Rock and roll was considered the plot of the enemy against communism.  What better group to represent the Rock and roll genre. They still put on a great show despite their age but OMG what an unattractive bunch they are!!

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

The Stones retire, then come back.  It's always about the MONEY.  If they were able to play on the moon it would be because they got a boatload to do so. 

@Puzzle Piece

Their concert in Cuba was free to all comers. Are you privy to where their money was made at/or during this concert? No speculating please, only factual based proof.

And you have a reason for them not to want to earn more money? Playing live concerts are not exactly a "stroll in the park" way of earning money. It is hard physical and mentally challenging work?

Pretty obvious from your post that you are/were not a Stone's fan, but to bring up their making money? Were I only to be so talented to "get(I'll choose the word earn)" a "boatload" of money.

Maybe I am missing the point of your above post.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I think the Rolling Stones and, in particular, Mick Jagger, have always been focused on the bottom line to some extent.  I believe that Jagger went to the London School of Economics and he has always been very business minded.

Having said that, does anyone really believe that the Rolling Stones need money?  I am sure that all of them have more money than they, or for that matter, any of their heirs will ever need.  I think they perfomed in Cuba because they get a kick out of the idea that they are one of the first bands to play in a new era for a country that has been stuck in the past.  And who can blame them?  Not a bad legacy ...

Honored Contributor

If they (Mick et al) aren't Americans, they could've gone there whenever they wanted, all along.  Right?

Is this the first time they've visited/performed in Cuba? 

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@Puzzle Piece

Their concert in Cuba was free to all comers. Are you privy to where their money was made at/or during this concert? No speculating please, only factual based proof.

And you have a reason for them not to want to earn more money? Playing live concerts are not exactly a "stroll in the park" way of earning money. It is hard physical and mentally challenging work?

Pretty obvious from your post that you are/were not a Stone's fan, but to bring up their making money? Were I only to be so talented to "get(I'll choose the word earn)" a "boatload" of money.

Maybe I am missing the point of your above post.

hckynut(john)

You are wrong John, I am a Stones fan.  Remember nothing is done without money being involved though the attendees may not have paid. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@hckynut  Again John, I totally agree with you.  It's a very tough life to be a musician travelling the country/world in fact to put on a show for hundreds/thousandsfor only 2-3 hours.  It takes days in fact just to set up everyting to get the band ready to perform. 

And it IS their way of life that musicians choose to make their money.  Not everybody can do this.  Not everyone makes it big either.  Musicians earn every cent they make and pay many people who work for them too.