Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:
Hi @lolakimono    The mods closed the grammar thread because it's old and was BTT.

I thought of you today when I hit the trifecta of pedantic moments.  (BTW, I prefer "logophile." Smiley Wink)

This morning, I was waiting at a red light and the license plate in front of me read: ECT576 (not the actual numbers).  Can you guess what flashed through my mind?  I swear I didn't dwell on it or think to start a revolt (hehehe).  It was just one of those fleeting, pedantic thoughts that I can't seem to help.  Granted, I sounded a little shrill yelling, "It's ETCetera, not ECTetera!!"  But, hey.

Later, I was reading a book in which the two main characters are brothers living in France.  The elder brother introduces his younger brother as "mon petit frere."  Since I knew the characters, it was easy to translate. (I hate it when an author uses another language and doesn't even give you a clue as to what it means!)  I translated it as "my younger brother" because I'm a logophile, and that is the proper way to phrase it.  But, hmmmm, something wasn't right because petit refers to size.  Light bulb moment!  My little brother!  Phew, I could relax and get on with my reading!  Smiley Very Happy

After dinner, Handsome and I were watching Death Valley Days (we love it)...season 3, episode 7, "Sequoia."  For those who don't know, Sequoya created a

"...Cherokee syllabary, making reading and writing in Cherokee possible...one of the very few times in recorded history that a member of a pre-literate people created an original, effective writing system...particularly noteworthy as he could not previously read any script....(source: Wiki) 

He endured years of ridicule for his effort, but was ultimately honored.  I had tears of joy in my eyes at the end of the show.  Handsome looked at me like I was crazy.  I tried to explain it to him, but it went right over his head.  Only word nerds, logophiles, and pedants will understand.

Anyway, I thought of you (and the cartoon you posted on the other thread, copied below) and had to log in and say hello.  I don't get over here very often any more, but, when I do, I enjoy reading your posts/threads.  Every now and then, I feel an urge to do an updated "closet" thread; it's been a year since I last posted about the closet purge and fine-tuning of my wardrobe.  I'm just not sure I have the time, motivation or energy!

I hope you are well and happy, Lola!

Hello to all.  See the source image

Is anymore one word or two? It depends on how you’re using it. A

Any more and anymore have related meanings, but they’re not interchangeable. Whether you make anymore one word or two depends on how you’re using it. Any more refers to quantities (Would you like any more tea?). Anymore is an adverb that refers to time (I don’t like tea anymore.).

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyM23

@Hoovermom

@Oznell

@Texasmouse

Hi, and thank you for your kind words.  I've posted here only once in almost a year!  I made a conscious effort to limit my social media activities after coming to the conclusion that I was spending too much time on the computer doing pretty much nothing!  My reading, my time with Handsome, and my real life (so to speak) friendships (to name a few) were being neglected!  I hope you are all well and happy!  Heart

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@MacDUFF. In Oklahoma, it's spelled "Sequoyah" and many school childen and others visit Sequoyah's cabin, which still stands in Sequoyah County.  

Hi @Sooner

In my research, I noticed three ways of spelling his name: Sequoia, Sequoya, and Sequoyah.  According to Wiki, he spelled it SSiquoya!  Who can keep up??  LOL  The Death Valley Days episode mentioned that the Sequoia gigantea was named after him, but there has been some question about that recently.  Do you have any info on that issue?  I'll have to put a visit to your beautiful state to see his cabin on my bucket list.  Also on that list is a visit to Cherokee, NC, headquarters for the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation (about a three hour drive).  Hope you're having a great evening, Sooner!

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono

How is it even possible that I've never read The Masque of the Red Death?!?  Aside from his penchant toward the macabre, I remember enjoying many of his works...The Tell-Tale Heart, The Fall of the House of Usher, The Raven (of course), the poem, Annabel Lee (love!).   He could turn a phrase, I tell ya!  Thanks for the link (I'll be reading some other works I seem to have missed).

Got lover = LOL!  Game of Thrones would not have even crossed my mind.  But, "got lover" wouldn't surprise me.  The things some people will flaunt!  I had a casual friend (married) tell me, out of the blue, that she had a boyfriend...a much younger boyfriend that she'd had for 30 years.  TMI!  TMI!  She must have assumed we were closer friends than we actually were, otherwise, I cannot figure why she told me, except that she might have thought I'd be okay with sitting around schmoozing about their "relationship."  Nope!

But I digress.  As for me, I can't separate my grammar nerdiness from my actual nerdiness.  I'm a nerd through and through!  Smiley LOL

"Create your vanity plate" might be a fun thread, Lola!

Esteemed Contributor

@Justice4all

Ah, fair lady, let us not forget pronunciation and enunciation (by George)!!  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Is anymore one word or two? It depends on how you’re using it. A

Any more and anymore have related meanings, but they’re not interchangeable. Whether you make anymore one word or two depends on how you’re using it. Any more refers to quantities (Would you like any more tea?). Anymore is an adverb that refers to time (I don’t like tea anymore.).

Hi @Mindy D

I learned something new!  Thanks!  (I filed that in the rolodex of my pedantic mind LOL.)  

Esteemed Contributor

And, now, to prove once and for all that I'm a nerd through and through, I'd like to make this edit (in my post to Sooner)...

"I'll have to put on my bucket list a visit to your beautiful state to see his cabin. on my bucket list."

Thank you.  Carry on!  Smiley TongueSmiley LOL

Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Justice4all

Ah, fair lady, let us not forget pronunciation and enunciation (by George)!!  Smiley Wink

By George, she's got it!  I don't know how she did it, but indeed she did!

Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

@MacDUFF

I'm sorry to hear that the grammar thread met an early demise.

My notes of the week are from my AVID training.

We had to read the first three paragraphs of this:

https://www.poemuseum.org/the-masque-of-the-red-death

A colleague of mine, who just finished an M.Ed. said, "I don't even understand this."  We got into small groups and ours was with the Language Arts teachers.  One started to explain to him what it was about, and then mentioned that the poem was part of the eighth grade (co-taught) curriculum.  Cat Embarassed

We had to create our own "vanity" plates to introduce ourselves.  I saw some examples:

MOM4LIF

LAXMOM

XFITBUF

Then I saw this one on a desk:

GOTLVR

I was thinking to myself this was highly inappropriate, for a teacher to flaunt that she has taken a "lover."Cat Embarassed

I pointed to my colleague, ready to guffaw, and he schooled me that it was "Game of Thrones lover."  Phew!  I guess that means that you can be a grammar nerd without being an actual nerd! Cat Tongue

I thought it stood for “Got liver.”

Lol!