Esteemed Contributor
Hi @lolakimono    The mods closed the grammar thread because it's old and was BTT.

I thought of you today when I hit the trifecta of pedantic moments.  (BTW, I prefer "logophile." Smiley Wink)

This morning, I was waiting at a red light and the license plate in front of me read: ECT576 (not the actual numbers).  Can you guess what flashed through my mind?  I swear I didn't dwell on it or think to start a revolt (hehehe).  It was just one of those fleeting, pedantic thoughts that I can't seem to help.  Granted, I sounded a little shrill yelling, "It's ETCetera, not ECTetera!!"  But, hey.

Later, I was reading a book in which the two main characters are brothers living in France.  The elder brother introduces his younger brother as "mon petit frere."  Since I knew the characters, it was easy to translate. (I hate it when an author uses another language and doesn't even give you a clue as to what it means!)  I translated it as "my younger brother" because I'm a logophile, and that is the proper way to phrase it.  But, hmmmm, something wasn't right because petit refers to size.  Light bulb moment!  My little brother!  Phew, I could relax and get on with my reading!  Smiley Very Happy

After dinner, Handsome and I were watching Death Valley Days (we love it)...season 3, episode 7, "Sequoia."  For those who don't know, Sequoya created a

"...Cherokee syllabary, making reading and writing in Cherokee possible...one of the very few times in recorded history that a member of a pre-literate people created an original, effective writing system...particularly noteworthy as he could not previously read any script....(source: Wiki) 

He endured years of ridicule for his effort, but was ultimately honored.  I had tears of joy in my eyes at the end of the show.  Handsome looked at me like I was crazy.  I tried to explain it to him, but it went right over his head.  Only word nerds, logophiles, and pedants will understand.

Anyway, I thought of you (and the cartoon you posted on the other thread, copied below) and had to log in and say hello.  I don't get over here very often any more, but, when I do, I enjoy reading your posts/threads.  Every now and then, I feel an urge to do an updated "closet" thread; it's been a year since I last posted about the closet purge and fine-tuning of my wardrobe.  I'm just not sure I have the time, motivation or energy!

I hope you are well and happy, Lola!

Hello to all.  See the source image

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF  When I was in the forums the other day, for some reason I thought of you and wondered where you have been.  Always enjoyed your posts.  I am either not reading where you are posting or you haven't posted for awhile.  Anyway, was glad to see your post.

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF. In Oklahoma, it's spelled "Sequoyah" and many school childen and others visit Sequoyah's cabin, which still stands in Sequoyah County.  

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF

I'm sorry to hear that the grammar thread met an early demise.

My notes of the week are from my AVID training.

We had to read the first three paragraphs of this:

https://www.poemuseum.org/the-masque-of-the-red-death

A colleague of mine, who just finished an M.Ed. said, "I don't even understand this."  We got into small groups and ours was with the Language Arts teachers.  One started to explain to him what it was about, and then mentioned that the poem was part of the eighth grade (co-taught) curriculum.  Cat Embarassed

We had to create our own "vanity" plates to introduce ourselves.  I saw some examples:

MOM4LIF

LAXMOM

XFITBUF

Then I saw this one on a desk:

GOTLVR

I was thinking to myself this was highly inappropriate, for a teacher to flaunt that she has taken a "lover."Cat Embarassed

I pointed to my colleague, ready to guffaw, and he schooled me that it was "Game of Thrones lover."  Phew!  I guess that means that you can be a grammar nerd without being an actual nerd! Cat Tongue

Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF:  It is so nice to see you here.  I have missed you and hope all is well with you.

Honored Contributor

Your posts are always such a treat, @MacDUFF!   Glad to have spotted this, and hope to see more in future!

Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF when I  saw this post with you as the OP I assumed it was an old thread, since I haven't seen you post in a long time.

So glad to see you posting again. I've missed your wit and humor. Welcome back. 😊

Respected Contributor

Re: The Pedants' Revolt...

[ Edited ]

Btw, I can totally relate, vis a vis those pedantic moments. It drives me crazy when I  read "less calories" or "view less options" (like on Ulta's website). *sigh*

Maybe we need to start another grammar thread. Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Re: The Pedants' Revolt...

[ Edited ]

And although she may have studied with an expert di'lectician and grammarian,

I can tell that she was born Hungarian!

Not only Hungarian, but of royal blood,

she is a princess!

Welcome back, @MacDUFF, I really missed you!

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@MacDUFF

I'm sorry to hear that the grammar thread met an early demise.

My notes of the week are from my AVID training.

We had to read the first three paragraphs of this:

https://www.poemuseum.org/the-masque-of-the-red-death

A colleague of mine, who just finished an M.Ed. said, "I don't even understand this."  We got into small groups and ours was with the Language Arts teachers.  One started to explain to him what it was about, and then mentioned that the poem was part of the eighth grade (co-taught) curriculum.  Cat Embarassed

We had to create our own "vanity" plates to introduce ourselves.  I saw some examples:

MOM4LIF

LAXMOM

XFITBUF

Then I saw this one on a desk:

GOTLVR

I was thinking to myself this was highly inappropriate, for a teacher to flaunt that she has taken a "lover."Cat Embarassed

I pointed to my colleague, ready to guffaw, and he schooled me that it was "Game of Thrones lover."  Phew!  I guess that means that you can be a grammar nerd without being an actual nerd! Cat Tongue

I thought it stood for “Got liver.”