Honored Contributor

Re: The Kindness Of Strangers

Last week there was an old man parked along the side of the road holding a sign. The sign said he needed money for food and gas. We slowed down and I noticed he must have been living in his van because there was a pillow and a blanket just inside the the back seat. I told my husband to pull over and I gave him money and he said,"God bless you lady". As we pulled away my husband said,"you know he's probably ripping you off". I said, "well, but for the grace of God go I, and who knows when we will need a kindness and so what if he is". I'm just so grateful that I have money to give to someone in need, I think it takes a pretty desperate person to ask strangers for help.

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21

What a beautiful story, brought tears to my eyes. If my mom was alive, that is something we would have done together. Your mom is a lucky lady to have a daughter like you. I can tell that you appreciate having her. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love your story, thank you so much for reminding me to smile more and give more compliments  .... You never know when someone really really needs it (Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Any thread here on the board about Walmart always brings a bunch of snarky remarks about the store, it's policies and its customers.  

For years now, I've done most of my grocery shopping there as it's very close.  I have mobility issues and always use an electric cart.   I couldn't tell you how many times someone has offered to reach something on a top shelf for me, has offered to load my things on the conveyor or have their kids do it, help me unload the bags into the car or lift something unusually heavy.  "The People of Walmart" are extremely kind and helpful.  I can't say I've had that happen in any other store. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624

Kachina, I've had people help me out at Costco --- I used to go there more often. I'm only 4'10", older, and shaky (due to chemo 11 yrs ago). Sometimes I get upset that I'm shaky and slower than I used to be --- but people's kindness makes me realize how nice people are. I, also, can't reach things on the higher shelves, and there's always someone that comes over to offer help. Both men and women. 

Spoiler
Woman LOL
Honored Contributor

@kiva  Yes, I've had men and women also.  I often tell them I can manage but thank them profusely.  It's much appreciated. 

Honored Contributor

I make a point to say something positive/compliment my coworkers (dress, hair etc.), even though they are not nice.

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

I make a point to say something positive/compliment my coworkers (dress, hair etc.), even though they are not nice.

@missy1  I've heard it said that people won't remember what you did; they'll remember how you made them feel.  Your positive comments probably give them a bit of a glow. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

blackhole99, you uttered the words I always say when someone thinks I've been ripped off when I've given money to someone begging.

Las Vegas is a town that I prepare to visit by having many $1 bills at the ready.  So many people begging. So many hands out looking for help along Las Vegas Blvd.  I just walk along and drop my dollars.

As for complimenting others, I enjoy doing that.  In fact, because I find it hard to curb my enthusiasm , I often comment on someone's beautiful outfit or presentation of self.  I am always careful to acknowledge women older than myself when I see that they've put together an outstanding outfit or simply look especially radiant.

Honored Contributor

Image result for kindness of strangers word images