Trusted Contributor

The Justice System moves so Slowly

My ex-husband was killed about six months ago when his car was hit head on by an uninsured, unlicensed man who crossed the center line.   I am angry because the man who caused the accident is still out free, walking the streets, enjoying holidays, birthdays, etc., with his family and has only been charged with driving with a suspended license, driving without insurance, and crossing the midline. The state police have up to six months to file their reports (toxicology, reconstruction). It will be six months a week from today. It'll be interesting to see if he is charged with anything else.  I know life isn't fair, but this seems extremely unfair.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: The Justice System moves so Slowly

It is extremely unfair, please keep us updated on anything. God Bless You!

Trusted Contributor

I agree they move slowly.  The police told us that courts were still backed up due to closures during COVID.

From my recent experience - my son was in an accident which was his fault in September 2021.  We did not get a court date until February, the notice arrived 2 weeks before the pre trial date.  Now we are done with the process but it was stressful for us because we just wanted the entire thing over to know what his punishment would be. 

I can't imagine what it must be like grieving that entire time and the pain of waiting.  The only cases which move quickly are the high profile ones.  A death of involved so YES I expect more charges.  Hugs and prayers for you during this difficult process.

Trusted Contributor

@wismiss I am so sorry and I share your frustration with the justice system. I would bet this man has had prior DUIs and it took this tragedy to hopefully get him behind bars where he belongs. Although that will not bring back the life he took. 

Honored Contributor

It does take a long time and there's no guarantee at all that your family will get justice.  Much depends on the person's driving history.  If he had a good driving record and had never been cited for a dui before, he might get minimal jail time or none.  

Honored Contributor

@wismiss 

My nephew and his fiancé were instantly killed when a driver crossed the line and broadsided them at a rate of speed that caused them to be airborne and hit a palm tree -- killing both of them instantly.

Imagine the sorrow & pain of a lifetime as the other driver has never been caught ...the person who hit them was in a stolen car.

I hope you get trial soon to help ease "your pain in the loss of your ex spouse". 

Respected Contributor

@wismiss, are those charges against the driver pending or already filed and resolved? I'd be a little surprised if the driver had been charged with those minor traffic violations before the entire investigation was completed.

And I'd be concerned whether you live in a state where accepting and permitting the traffic violations be adjudicated could result in no additional charges technically being permitted to be filed. You may want to contact your local district attorney's office to see if they can provide some information.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This all depends on state law.  Here in Michigan I believe the penalty is 15 years.  I just re-read your post and you did not mention alcohol.  The 15 year penalty here is for drunk drivers.

Esteemed Contributor

I hope you have a Lawyer....

Super Contributor

So sorry about your situation.  How very sad.   You deserve to have this move forward.

Justice lately seems so hard to find.   So many innocent people are wrongfully accused or those that deserve to be accountable get away with their crimes.

I hope you find some peace and answers soon.