Honored Contributor

Have any of you had this happen. 

DH brings something in to grill.  During conversation, he's going to grill the item the next night.  Fine.

He starts grilling and you ask "What are you going to have WITH that?" and get an empty stare.

Never in 45 years has he ever had a one plate item.  If we do leftovers, I always say "where is your green vegetable????"  It never "takes"!

Am I the only one fighting this battle???

(Yes, I am thankful)

Thanks.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@ECBG  Nope you’re not the only one. My husband grills but he doesn’t have a clue what else to have with the dinner. And he says he likes to grill because it makes it easy for me, not if I have to fix the rest of the dinner.  Lol 

Esteemed Contributor

This year, hubs learned to toss corn on the cob on the grill along with protein. He also got the hang of using two plates for protein -- one for raw meat and the other for grilled meat. It's been a banner year at my house.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

It's in their DNA.  They cook meat, not meals.  Think Caveman.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  You got that right.  I’m probably going to get bashed for this

but sorry  men can’t multi task. When we were younger and had small children I could cook dinner, watch the kids and talk on phone at the same time. 

Honored Contributor

I'll be a lone wolf here and say my late DH would sometimes suggest a side dish but my sweet smart son is a very good cook and he and my DIL often plan meals together.

Sometimes my older DGD helps out and likes to cook.

So NO, not all men are like that.

I know many women who can't plan a decent meal.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids  suggestion and doing are two different things. My husband can suggest till the cows come.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Inner Frown

[ Edited ]

@ECBG 

I would be easy in that respect. I don't grille anything and my meals(?)are just that,  "nothing added". And my wife gave up asking me about what and how I eat decades ago. See how easy that is for her? 

=^..^=

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It's in their DNA.  They cook meat, not meals.  Think Caveman.

@Kachina624 

Uncontrollable laughter. | Lucky Otters Haven

Honored Contributor

Re: The Inner Frown

[ Edited ]

Often,  just a steak and crusty bread, hamburgers or hot dogs are all we want and having a green vegetable or sides is way to fussy and not appealing!  We don't eat greens with pasta dishes ever either.  We're still alive and healthy!