Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

So true! 🤣

Respected Contributor

Also, wasn't the dress attire when flying more classier than today's get up and go look?

Respected Contributor

@SoCal Bred wrote:

Also, wasn't the dress attire when flying more classier than today's get up and go look?

Indeed! Flying was a most enjoyable event. People in general dressed with more class and were more put together than today.

Honored Contributor

@SoCal Bred wrote:

@SoCal Bred 

Wasn't the dress EVERYWHERE better than today's "I'm going to be comfortable" look???

Honored Contributor

Yup....and I'm not so sure about the ice in the coke!  

Respected Contributor

I flew in October.  From Southeast to Northeast.  Almost 2 hours.  I got a very small bag of pretzels and a handi-wipe from the stewardess when I came onto the plane.  No beverages offered and this was first class.

Honored Contributor
Omg. Funny but true. People dressed in their best clothes to fly and it was an upscale experience. Being a flight attendant, called stewardess back then, was glamorous like being a model or an actress. Now they are waitresses or waiters in ugly polyester uniforms.
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree. I can remember in High School  in the early 70s thinking about the glamour with good looking men to date "Coffee,Tea, or Me" was a book we read. Movies also depicted Stews that were attractive and glamous.

I sat next to a retired Flight Attendant in her 80s on a trip a few years ago. She told me when she was working she had to sign a contract that allowed her to work  only until age 25. Many  female teachers were let go as soon as married in those days also. 

Respected Contributor

Re: The Good Times

[ Edited ]

@Gorgf wrote:

@chrystaltree. I can remember in High School  in the early 70s thinking about the glamour with good looking men to date "Coffee,Tea, or Me" was a book we read. Movies also depicted Stews that were attractive and glamous.

I sat next to a retired Flight Attendant in her 80s on a trip a few years ago. She told me when she was working she had to sign a contract that allowed her to work  only until age 25. Many  female teachers were let go as soon as married in those days also. 

My first teaching job began in January back in the '60's. I replaced a teacher who was pregnant. The policy dictated that a teacher had to leave at the end of the semester in which she became pregnant.

i remember when a stewardess had to maintain a certain weight. If they became too heavy they could face dismissal if they did not lose the weight.