Honored Contributor

The Curb Market Or Farmer's Market

Do you go to your Curb or Farmer's market?  We get a lot of wonderful vegies here as well as homemade jams, jellies, and local honey.  We have a lot of "Farm to Table" resturants here.  We get fresh cut Christmas trees there.  The gifts always offer color.

This is a recent posting:

No automatic alt text available.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Curb Market Or Farmer's Market

Yes, we have several Farmer's Markets in the surrounding towns in our area and many Farm Stands around our town. Cheaper than the super markets, but not cheap by any means, but the quality of the veggies and fruit is very good. There is one Farm to Table restaurant in the town not far from us, it's very expensive to dine there, not for the average Joe. We also have grocery stores owned by the Mennonite community in our area that offer many homebaked goods, jams and jellies at fairly reasonable prices.

Honored Contributor

Yes, we have Farmer's Markets all over the place.  We even have an indoor farmers market on Saturday mornings in the winter.  It's held at a huge function all and I love that one.  Our town has a nice one but we often go the ones in other towns.  I love discovering different varieties of fruits and vegetables and homemade baked goods and interesting crafts.  I'm going this Saturday because I'm looking for the mini pumpkins and mini gourds that I found last year.  I want to decorate with them, they were  small, smaller than any I have seen in the grocery store.  

Respected Contributor

They're everywhere but we rarely stop by anymore. There tends to be a lot of junky craft items and baked goods and not enough fresh food, which is what we want. And things often seem overpriced.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes we do.........especially a large Apple Farm. Best cider and apples...especially for pies...

Honored Contributor

Yes, each town around here has their outdoor farmers markets in the summer. They have fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, homemade cheese, honey etc. Apple picking in the fall. Many of those farms around here. Pick your own and buy some homemade cider and donuts. This is all the NY/NJ area. NJ is the Garden State.

Respected Contributor

From spring till Thanksgiving our HUGE commuter parking lot is turned into fruit and veggie covered open tents - its great.  This year I tried to grow container tomatoes - our HOA landscape guys use a Toro to blow grass off our patios and would knock down all the pots, so between that and  the birds swooping down to take bites out of the little cherry tomatoes I've decided - probably cheaper and definitely much easier to support the local farmers rather than try to grow my own.  

Our farmer's markets are mostly farmer's crops, baked goods, and every once in awhile you will see homemade furniture, etc.but that's rare.  We do have the obligatory kettle popcorn vats that I see at every farmer's market I've been!  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure what the photo represents? I line rural and farmers offer their crops locally. Our markets look nothing like the photo.

You can chat with local farmers, some organic growers. They will offer advice on how to cook, store, freeze or can. There's also an organic dairy farm that produces the freshest tasting milk I've had in years.

There is an apple orchard near me as well as a pumpkin patch. These are working farms. I also take advantage of 2 Mennonite bulk stores. 

Haven't set foot in a big box grocert store in a year.

Honored Contributor

Every summer, my parents stay at our house and we head up north.  My father maintains a beautiful organic garden here that supplies me up until the holidays.  I have a potting shed that I can transfer plants in to if the temps dip.

Lots of neighbors have gardens, some are year round and we share amongst each other.

I still pick up fruits at the grocery store or farmer's market.  I once grew pumpkins at our other home, but you need the space for that to happen, and I don't have that here.