Honored Contributor

Re: The Bee Hive -- September 2021 Edition

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Well, with the recent storm we just had and seeing people’s belongings just floating around like the titantic, in images, it just got me thinking - why do I keep shopping. It is a problem I have, yes, but I thought about this moment plenty of times but these types of storms never hit my area so never took it seriously.  I couldn’t save it all if I had to evacuate. So, it got me thinking what is most important to tackle. Paperwork came up first.  I have been avoiding this like the plague so I guess it is time to start addressing it.  It is a mess and a big job so I will break it down in pieces. 

I also need to find find a way to stop bringing more stuff in.  This is hard for me unfortunately.  It is my stress reliever.  This is hard for me as HEP seems to be. I cant get a handle on that either. 

This is one hit way to close too home. 

@aprilskies 

Me too.  Between watching all the storm damage and seeing the Ida victims from LA trying to shelter up here, and then the local death count, I keep thinking about why I have so much stuff.  If a tornado hit my house or I died, none of it would mean Jack____.  Yet just today I placed another order.  Although this time at least part of it was what I considered a need.  I realized the other night when someone drove up my driveway and I was already in my nightgown that I had no robe to slip into.  I have winter robes, but I donated all my lightweight robes thinking I wouldn't need them.  A good lesson to maybe keep one of some things you might need on occasion.  

But I digress.  Everything and everyone I see everywhere points to getting away from the consumption mentality.  I always thought that was the wrong thing to base your economy on anyway and that we never made the switch from being the big shot after WWII.  I think I'll stop with that or before I know it I'll be getting into *poof* territory.

Oh, speaking up HEP--I thought about you the other day when I was having  a Haagen Daz coffee ice cream.  Those little 'chunks'.  Definitely not as creamy and smooth as it used to be.  Almost like little chunks of ice.  The taste was the same, but it lessened the whole enjoyment of eating it.  I'm about done with ice cream anyway, so that just helps.

@geezerette, yup, me too, and I didnt need a thing I ordered yesterday, but that didnt stop me.  But a pat on the back for removing some things from my cart before hitting submit. At least that is something. Our whole economy sits on a house of cards that is being propped up right now. I agree, consumption should not be the base of our whole economy.  I still wonder how we got here.  The marketers are genius. But, then they kick us for overflowing our houses. Go figure. 

The whole buying thing tho lately is a bit worse for me because I dont want to struggle just to get something I need.  With the whole shortage scares, it is makes me feel uneasy.  I know some of this is just to create fear, but is is working. I am thinking about when I actually need to go back in to work, I have no shoes. So, I need to look for some work shoes.  I have either been getting rid of the ones I can no longer wear, stretched out, etc. but it doesnt leave me with much as far as work shoes. It is always something tho. I guess I need to start paying attention to the "needs."  I do realize these are not first world problems and things could be worse and are for some. 

I am glad you see it too about Haagen Daz. I thought it was just me.  And I tried them twice just to be sure the first time it wasnt a fluke. Why do they always have to ruin a great product. Talenti is the same way.  I will no longer buy that either. 

@aprilskies 

Speaking for myself, I think the first thing I have to get firmly implanted in my mind as the number one thing to remember is the difference between 'want' and 'need'.  I know that sounds like it's simple--or should be simple, but over the years, and especially the last few years, it's gotten more difficult.  Between the constant marketing, becoming more affluent, and having a partner that often encouraged self-indulgence, I fell into the trap that I could buy whatever I wanted.  And here's the kicker: it would all make me feel better somehow.  Either make me feel more accepted or remove any type of negative emotion I might have at the moment.  In other words, if I just bought 'stuff' my life would improve.

I know that all sounds dumb (and it is).  But the really dumb part is that while I was doing all that I knew that was all hype.  'Stuff' wasn't going to do any of that.  Oh, some material things do make your life easier--like microwaves, for instance.  I'm certainly not advocating using leaves instead of Charmin.😆

To be fair to myself though, as I now look over my past life I remember that there were a lot of instances way back when that I thought like I do now.  But up until recently I had a life partner that often felt differently, so there were always compromises.  But now I have no excuses.  Especially with all that's developed in the last few years.  

I'm trying to keep extras of the real necessities and continue to pare down the unnecessary extras.  So actually, if we can look at the current situation in the right light, it's helping those of us that do want to buy and have less.  It's doing it for us.  Let's start expending our purchasing and stockpiling energies on the necessities, and let go of at least some of our extras.

I think work shoes count as a necessity.  Unless your company allows fuzzy slippers in the office, that is.😉

Honored Contributor

6C45DBAE-067A-41BB-B60E-487457C266AC.jpeg

Honored Contributor

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
Honored Contributor

hey all

just a quick check in

dh did grocery shop, he was able to get in and out in record time.

just unpacked and put away all the grocery items

ok guys later

Honored Contributor

@viva923 

You should be all set for groceries now before the holiday weekend.  It's always crowded in the stores then.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@viva923 

You should be all set for groceries now before the holiday weekend.  It's always crowded in the stores then.

@geezerette 

BH and I were in line at the grocery store the other day.  Busy.  BH caught the attention of one of the guys who's worked in that store about as long as we've been shopping there (25+ years) and joked: "What is this -- a holiday or something?"

Guy said: "Yeah!  Memorial Day weekend!"

I said (under my breath): "No.  That's in May." 

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

hey all

just a quick check in

dh did grocery shop, he was able to get in and out in record time.

just unpacked and put away all the grocery items

ok guys later

@viva923 

BH does most of the shopping because he goes in, grabs what he needs, then does self-checkout.  Done in minutes.

I go into a store and I have to analyze everything.  I might as well pack an overnight bag.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

6C45DBAE-067A-41BB-B60E-487457C266AC.jpeg

@geezerette 

Can I get this framed?

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@viva923 

@geezerette 

BH and I were in line at the grocery store the other day.  Busy.  BH caught the attention of one of the guys who's worked in that store about as long as we've been shopping there (25+ years) and joked: "What is this -- a holiday or something?"

Guy said: "Yeah!  Memorial Day weekend!"

I said (under my breath): "No.  That's in May." 

@just bee 

Bet he was a college grad.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I am glad you see it too about Haagen Daz. I thought it was just me.  And I tried them twice just to be sure the first time it wasnt a fluke. Why do they always have to ruin a great product. Talenti is the same way.  I will no longer buy that either. 

@aprilskies 

Uh-oh.  What did they do to Talenti?