Honored Contributor

Re: The Bee Hive -- May 2024 Edition

@geezerette wrote:

Yet another close call last night.

Everything looked like it was going to be dry, right up until I was ready to try and go to sleep--naturally.  I saw lightning nearby and checked the weather app, and sure enough, a small storm had popped up right overhead.  The only one in the state, of course.  

In a matter of minutes that small storm ballooned into a radar-warned tornado.  Just about 3-5 miles from me.  Bottom line, while it doesn't look like that ever actually touched ground, it did do damage.  If it had done that a few minutes earlier, it would have gotten me.  As it was, I was only affected by heavy rain and lightning (again!) for a few minutes until it moved far enough away to not be worrisome.  

Dry today, so everyone can breathe and those that had their lives turned upside down the other day can try and sift through what they have left.  Rain starting again tomorrow night.  This *** just won't quit.

@geezerette 

And this is why we didn't move to Kansas or Missouri.  In a way, earthquakes in California were less stressful because there were no warnings, no close-calls, no weird green skies or alarms.

They just happened.

As much as I appreciate rain, I couldn't live with these storms.  I don't know how you do it.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

image.png

@geezerette 

This is the best one I've seen. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

Tucker is the sweetest thing, and he is getting better with his peeing. He just turned 5 months so I'm hopeful. Once he stops having accidents I have some throw rugs in the house that I want to just toss and replace. I just feel like the house is dirty and stinky. 

@rnmom 

Just remember how stinky the babies were.  That's why babies and puppies are made cute.  It helps you forget about the mess.

Sweet goes a long way.  I like sweet in a dog.

Available Puppies – Sweet Honey Poodles

This Tennessee breeder must feel the same way. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:
Happy Memorial Day!! My weekend has been quiet, today will be as well.

Wishing you all with bad weather to be safe with minimal damage. I can't imagine. However, I think this will find everyone eventually. A bad storm with hail is suppose to hit PA. Not close to me but its inching closer everyday. With my tin hat on, I am one that thinks this is by design. It is not going to stop any day soon.

I was looking at a house yesterday that was nestled right in the middle of gigantic and I mean gigantic trees, I was like no thanks. They looked solid though, but no. I love trees but they scared me. They were right on the house basically.

I hope everyone is hanging in there. Anyone cooking out today?

@aprilskies 

Good to hear from you!  Hope things are settling down so you can make some decisions without distractions. Heart

Honored Contributor

Last year, one of our doctors left and moved to the Four Corners area.  A few months later, he returned.

Must not have cared for it, I thought.

He worked with us Friday night and told us next month is his last.  He's returning to the Four Corners community.

He said he didn't think he'd like it, but he and his wife found so much to do.  They had everything they needed (Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart) and there were restaurants, movie theaters and plays at the local high school.

The patient population was entirely different.

What he described was appealing.  It sounded like the type of place I'd like to check out.

Did some research yesterday.  Climate is very good.  It's less than 200 miles from ABQ, and 400 miles from Denver, Phoenix and Salt Lake City.

There's a historical district with some really interesting buildings.  A vibrant theatre community.  A newish library.  Lots of sculptures.  Three rivers, several lakes.  A forested walking area in the city that is much like ABQ's bosque.

Hiking, biking, walking trails.  Not far from...

Photograph Guide for Bisti Badlands New Mexico | Photographers Trail Notes  — Photographers Trail Notes

Bisti Badlands - De-Na-Zin Wilderness - DesertUSA

... the Bisti Badlands.

Not far from @Brisky (218 miles).

Home to the Connie Mack World Series.

Local qualifying tournament to determine host team of Connie Mack series –  The Tri-City Record

And, like many of the small communities in New Mexico, it is politically conservative.

Large medical center with a cancer center.

Pinch me, I must be dreaming.

Problem is, I can't seem to find real estate there that's in my price range.

But this is the first time in a long time that I've seriously considered relocating.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

And this is why we didn't move to Kansas or Missouri.  In a way, earthquakes in California were less stressful because there were no warnings, no close-calls, no weird green skies or alarms.

They just happened.

As much as I appreciate rain, I couldn't live with these storms.  I don't know how you do it.

@just bee 

Oh, there was an earthquake while the worse storms were going on the night before last.

I've never been afraid of weather before, but I have to admit that I think this constant threat of severe weather the last few months has added to my emotional anxiety.  This is not like the news that can be ignored.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

image.png

@geezerette 

@just bee 

That was from our state's veterinary medical association.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

They just happened.

@just bee 

Oh, there was an earthquake while the worse storms were going on the night before last.

I've never been afraid of weather before, but I have to admit that I think this constant threat of severe weather the last few months has added to my emotional anxiety.  This is not like the news that can be ignored.

@geezerette 

That's not healthy.

Piano Drop - TV Tropes

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

image.png

@geezerette 

@just bee 

That was from our state's veterinary medical association.

@geezerette 

Impressive!

Honored Contributor

@just bee 

"Problem is, I can't seem to find real estate there that's in my price range."

And now you see one big reason why we ended up back here.  To do what the OG wanted, there was no way we could stay anywhere where the weather was nice.  And we started looking back in the 20th century.

I would have been satisfied with a tiny little place in a decent area, but just that was outrageous.  And it's not just the buy-in price.  Taxes were nuts in most of those places even back then so I can't imagine what they are now.

Even the young folks in my family up north have resorted to living with their parents because housing is just not doable.  Combine taxes, daycare for their kids (one special needs), insurance, etc. and it's tough even with a decent job.  My siblings and their kids that bought years ago are okay, but they can't sell and move because of the cost of repurchasing.  Another reason I didn't move back there.  It's now too expensive for me.  When I was growing up, that was one of the most affordable and best places to live in the country.  Of course, I have to remember how long ago that was!