Honored Contributor

Re: The Bee Hive -- May 2022 Edition

@bikerbabe 

I have no idea how these kids today can learn to read without phonics.  Oh wait,  many of them can't--by the time they hit graduate school!  But we have computers for that now...

One of my nieces skipped a grade in elementary school.  The school pushed to have her skip more, but my sister declined, feeling it wouldn't be good for her emotionally.  Obviously this was before the advanced classes they offer nowadays.

I need to focus laser-like on my weight too--actually, more on my overall health, which should be including more exercise.  I've turned into a professional slug.  Even small portions of proper foods won't help this eyesore of a body I've let myself degrade into.

Honored Contributor

I asked my friend who kept a hive last summer how it went and if she is planning on doing it anymore.  This was last week.

I can't remember for the life of me what her answer was!

And we were drinking.....water.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bikerbabe wrote:
Many of the problems in the education system originate in the home. I also think there is too much testing and teaching to a test. I was always self motivated and did A LOT more and faster than required but I know I was the exception to most. I was reading long before kindergarten. I’m also a believer in phonics. If I had a child I’d be tempted to homeschool. Not for religious reasons but so he could progress as fast as he wanted. I remember I had the option to skip a bunch of grades but Mom declined. From a social development standpoint, she made the right choice. I was soooooooo shy. Still am, at times. From an educational perspective, I was held back even with GATE enrollment.

I won’t get into what’s right and wrong in the world. I know @just bee that we will disagree on a lot of things, and that’s ok. 😁

Loving the weather the past few days. Low 70s. Upper 90s by the weekend. 🤨 Working on the yard this week and laser-focused on losing weight. 🎯

👋

@bikerbabe 

Ah, but we also agree on a lot of things.  I was reading and writing before kindergarten, thanks to my mother and sisters.  My mother grew up on radio dramas -- she even wrote a few and won a contest when she was younger.  She didn't have to read to me because she would tell me great stories that she remembered from her radio days. 

My sisters read to me and taught me to read and write before I trotted off to elementary school where we sat in a circle on the floor.  Hated kindergarten.  If I had had children they would have either been homeschooled or sent to private school.  But that would have required a certain income.  An income I did not have.

I never hear anything positive about phonics which baffles me.  That's how we learned and it seemed to me to be a pretty effective system.

Sound it out!

When schools talk about discontinuing their advanced placement programs my head just about explodes.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@bikerbabe 

I have no idea how these kids today can learn to read without phonics.  Oh wait,  many of them can't--by the time they hit graduate school!  But we have computers for that now...

One of my nieces skipped a grade in elementary school.  The school pushed to have her skip more, but my sister declined, feeling it wouldn't be good for her emotionally.  Obviously this was before the advanced classes they offer nowadays.

I need to focus laser-like on my weight too--actually, more on my overall health, which should be including more exercise.  I've turned into a professional slug.  Even small portions of proper foods won't help this eyesore of a body I've let myself degrade into.

@geezerette 

Another vote for phonics!

We also had a reading system in elementary school -- and I'll probably remember the name of it around 3:00 in the morning.  But that was helpful, too.

What was really helpful was that set of encyclopedias my mother bought when I was little.  I played with the World Book Cyclo-teacher all the time.

1961 World Book Encyclopedia Cyclo-teacher learning aid cycles | remembering | Pinterest | 1960s ...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Eeeek!  I gotta start my shower...

Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

@bikerbabe 

Got it!

The reading system in our Chicago elementary school was SRA.  Science Research Associates.

Honored Contributor

I seemed to have a built in ability to know how to pronounce and spell, even English where nothing is regular. I attribute it largely to nonstop reading from a very young age. With regard to grammar, I could just tell what sounded and looked right. Of course, I’m sloppy now. 😂

I ventured over to the fashion forum to read. 😳🤣🤡

I desperately need a few new clothing pieces but not asking anyone here for advice. 🤣
Honored Contributor

HEy all

super duper busy day will check in later when I have more time.

Honored Contributor

Daily Art of the Day, Thursday March 06, 2014 Bee in Snap Dragon - by Bill Gillingham

Honored Contributor

Friday the 13th
Mercury in retrograde
Lunar eclipse during a super flower blood moon

I have no clue what all that means but it doesn’t sound good.

Working Fri Sat Sun Mon.
Yeah, me!🥴🤡