Honored Contributor

Re: The Bee Hive -- June 2022 Edition

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm 

Do you or your vet express the cat's glands manually?  And if so, is the excretion normal?  Are the glands impacted, or infected?  Has the vet said to try a different diet?

As for the spanking, I found this on a cat website:   

Cats like getting spanked or tapped on their tail areas because it is believed that the pressure releases hormones that relax and destress the cat. This is because cats have a bundle of nerves at the base of their tail, and they cannot reach this spot well on their own.

ETA:  Do a search on cat ****** gland problems.  There are loads of sites with information.  The very last solution is surgical removal since the cat may have a certain loss of bowel control.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Lucky Charm 

Do you or your vet express the cat's glands manually?  And if so, is the excretion normal?  Are the glands impacted, or infected?  Has the vet said to try a different diet?

As for the spanking, I found this on a cat website:   

Cats like getting spanked or tapped on their tail areas because it is believed that the pressure releases hormones that relax and destress the cat. This is because cats have a bundle of nerves at the base of their tail, and they cannot reach this spot well on their own.

ETA:  Do a search on cat ****** gland problems.  There are loads of sites with information.  The very last solution is surgical removal since the cat may have a certain loss of bowel control.

@geezerette 

Good information! Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Quote of the day...

It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you place the blame.

-- Oscar Wilde

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

It's that time of the year again...

BAF1BB47-C3F4-474E-8E0A-9E40B45F4462.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Today our "mini-autumn" ended.  Going back to heat and humidity.  But it sure was nice while it lasted.

The dog enjoyed her extra walks too.

CDDB689A-2FE2-44AD-8314-0610996C8004.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

It's that time of the year again...

BAF1BB47-C3F4-474E-8E0A-9E40B45F4462.jpeg

@geezerette 

This might be a better holiday now that WGD is going deaf...

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Today our "mini-autumn" ended.  Going back to heat and humidity.  But it sure was nice while it lasted.

The dog enjoyed her extra walks too.

CDDB689A-2FE2-44AD-8314-0610996C8004.jpeg

@geezerette 

The rain and perfect temperatures subsided yesterday and it was hot and dry again.  Should be 90+ today.

So disappointing.  And so it (summer) begins. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

Sad news this week about actress Mary Mara, age 61, who drowned in the St. Lawrence River.

I remembered her from ER and, ironically, as I was watching this morning's reruns, there she was in her first episode in 1995.

Pemeran Loretta Sweet Dalam Serial "ER" Meninggal Akibat Tenggelam

Honored Contributor

Geez...I just realized tomorrow is July.  😳

Honored Contributor

About my lil cat's backside.  She goes once a month and gets expressed manually.  No infection, not impacted, first time was a large amount (about 6years ago) when I noticed her scooting.  

Now we have no carpeting. I buy 2.5' x 8' (?) rugs from places like Christmas Tree Shops and after she gets *spanked*, she goes up and scoots.

She scoots after the vet visits now, although in the beginning she didn't.  For like a whole week she would be fine. 

It is rare for a cat to have this problem.

Sorry to be talking about her so much!  She has my heart.

My daughter took her to the vet at about 8:30 this morning and she's getting her teeth/gums cleaned.  There was an issue that was noticed (swelling) during her physical 3 weeks ago.  She was given a shot of antibiotic and my husband took her back last week to see if the swelling went down.  It did, but gum was still red.  This vet doesn't do xrays, but she said during an exam/cleaning she would be able to tell if there was a bigger problem with the tooth (or any teeth).

Today was supposed to be the mother cat's physical w/bloodwork, dental cleaning, nails trimmed, but I wanted the little girl taken care of first.  This is her 3rd visit in 3 weeks!  Never had a problem with a cat before.

Well, except her Mama, who is overweight and I have no idea why.  That'll be next Thursday.....