Respected Contributor

Re: The Bee Hive -- February 2022 Edition

Esteemed Contributor

Waiting for freezing rain and ice storm to hit.  These weather events just make me jumpy.

Honored Contributor

I'm still here!  Everything remained functional all night--whew!😅

I was awakened several times during the night from the racket against the window so I knew we had lucked out and gotten cold enough for sleet instead of freezing rain.  It's been coming down steadily since about midnight and there is about 1-2" of ice and slush on the ground.  But nothing is sticking to the power lines or bare trees, which was my main concern.  Hopefully it will stay this way until it's done, which isn't supposed to be until tonight or tomorrow morning.

Unfortunately, the people in the areas that did get freezing rain now are without power.  Roads are treacherous all over the state, with the road department, electric crews, and National Guard out.  These guys were preparing for this for the last several days and have been set up all over.

My birdies were out in force this morning and I gave them extra food.  Looks like they'll be getting a second helping later today since the ground is covered with icy slush.  At least I've found out why I haven't had many birds lately--the weather hasn't been nasty enough up north for them to need to migrate.  

I hope everyone else that may be in this huge storm somewhere is dry, warm, and safe.  

Respected Contributor

Good news! When you lose power you literally freeze🥶
Notice older homes had fire places? People with new homes have fake fire places. I seldom see wood fireplaces anymore. I wish I had one!

Hope all stay safe over there....
Going to get coffee......I need it.....
Honored Contributor

@Brisky 

@geezerette 

It looks like I won't be moving to Wyoming.

Took an hour and a half to get to work last night.  And then BH texted me: Our furnace died.

Had to be cold as ____ in here last night because my wine tastes like it's been refrigerated.

I don't like a cold red. Woman Mad

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
Notice older homes had fire places? People with new homes have fake fire places. I seldom see wood fireplaces anymore. I wish I had one!

@Brisky 

They cite "environmental reasons."  We wanted a wood-burning fireplace but we were bombarded with reasons why it wasn't a good idea because they'd all be banned at some point.

So we agreed to a gas fireplace.  Used it once and it jacked up our bill so much that we never used it again.

I lived in an artist's studio when I went to college and the only source of heat was a wood-burning stove.  I had to buy, haul and stack wood.  New to me.

But that place was toasty.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Brisky 

@geezerette 

Took an hour and a half to get to work last night.  And then BH texted me: Our furnace died.

Had to be cold as ____ in here last night because my wine tastes like it's been refrigerated.

@just bee 

Oh no!  I hope it's still under warranty.  Good luck getting a repairman in a timely manner.  And one that is competent.  What's your weather going to be like today--sunny?  Warmer?  

This is a massive storm.  It goes across most of the country and into Canada.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Brisky 

@geezerette 

@just bee 

Oh no!  I hope it's still under warranty.  Good luck getting a repairman in a timely manner.  And one that is competent.  What's your weather going to be like today--sunny?  Warmer?  

This is a massive storm.  It goes across most of the country and into Canada.

@geezerette 

Our plumber from the rebuild lives across the street -- conveniently.  He's here looking at it now.

What's inconvenient is this: He's moving to Texas.

We're scroo'd. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Brisky wrote:

@Brisky 

They cite "environmental reasons."  We wanted a wood-burning fireplace but we were bombarded with reasons why it wasn't a good idea because they'd all be banned at some point.

So we agreed to a gas fireplace.  Used it once and it jacked up our bill so much that we never used it again.

I lived in an artist's studio when I went to college and the only source of heat was a wood-burning stove.  I had to buy, haul and stack wood.  New to me.

But that place was toasty.

@just bee 

@Brisky 

Yep.  Flagstaff didn't allow any type of wood burning anything decades ago.  They did have a legitimate complaint because it used to be gaggy with smoke in the winter before they banned them.

I remember back in the '80s when we were in Missoula we were talking to some young residents commenting about how beautiful the place was.  Their response was, "Don't come here in the winter.  You can't breathe for all the wood smoke."  

I can notice it here too when it gets cold.  It just gets cold enough to be invigorating outside and I end up getting a headache from the wood smoke.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

The weather reports changed so many times.  It was supposed to snow all night and all morning.  Then it was going to be cloudy with a chance of flurries.

Got out of work and it was cold and sunny.  This should melt soon.

The drive home wasn't as bad as last night's adventure.

This storm was no surprise.  We knew it was coming and the city did nothing to prepare.  As usual.