Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,120
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: The Bee Hive -- December 2021 Edition


@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

This is a few days late, just like my brain...

 

07FFABD7-DCDA-40D7-8E61-287A2938826C.jpeg


@geezerette 

 

I saw one of those online slideshows: Dog Breeds That Senior Citizens Should Avoid At All Costs!

 

The Rottweiler was one.  But they were all breeds I like!  Even Greyhounds were on the list.

 

Disqualifiers were things like size, energy level and ability to shed whole dogs in a day.  I guess Greyhounds are prolific shedders.


@just bee 

 

I agree with that one, for sure.  In fact, it's a breed that most people should avoid.  Period.  But it's amazing how many people would like one.  Or say they would.

 

But I can't believe a Greyhound would shed more than my monster.  Geez, Greyhounds hardly have any fur to begin with.

 

Speaking of shedding, has WGD been shedding more than usual this winter?  Carla and the cats have.  They stopped as usual when the weather started to cool, then they all began shedding like it's summer again.  The long-haired cat has hairballs again, which he doesn't have during a normal cold winter.  I bathed Carla and brushed her and still couldn't get all the loose hair off.  My friend said her dogs are back to shedding a lot too.  We just assumed it was our warmer than normal weather.


@geezerette - So I typed out my last post before I read this one. Yes! My dogs are shedding like crazy and it's cold here. I've never had so much hair in my house. I don't know what is going on, I simply can't keep up. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,120
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: The Bee Hive -- December 2021 Edition

@aprilskies - Thank you. It was about an hour and a half from where we live, but only 35 miles from where hubby teaches, and in the same county. The whole county actually closed school Friday because there are so many threats floating around out there, they aren't sure which ones are credible or not. 

 

My kids school and other local schools were also subject to pranks and lock downs too. It guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I continue to be amazed about what a downward spiral our world has taken. No morals, no sense of right and wrong, no punishment for doing wrong. I cannot believe what we have become on so many levels. 

 

I can't even hardly look at pictures of the kids that died. One boy died trying to disarm the shooter. There was a football video of him posted on facebook, I couldn't even watch it because I knew I'd bust out crying. He was the same age as my older son. I can't even imagine sending him to school and having him shot and killed there. Absolutely breaks my heart. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,120
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: The Bee Hive -- December 2021 Edition


@aprilskies wrote:

Do you know what I noticed lately? So, you know how you are followed on whatever device you may be on. So, I usually use different devices for different things, well not perfect but I try, and I just recently noticed that it doesnt even matter.  So, I was on youtube on my ipad and when that died I switched to my computer and whatever I was watching on my ipad came up in my queue on my computer.  I realize this was a duh moment because you are tracked by email, I guess or something, but I find that so disturbing. Am I the only one that gets sicked of being tracked?  It makes me want to toss it all. 


@aprilskies - Yep, scary huh?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 35,037
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: The Bee Hive -- December 2021 Edition

@rnmom 

 

All we hear is that there's a terrible nursing shortage.  Don't have to tell me -- I'm working with more travelers than ever before.

 

So now our governor has mandated boosters by mid-January or those in healthcare who do not comply will be fired.

 

The same people who worked with COVID patients without PPE.  Who were told to wear the same mask because there just wasn't enough of them.

 

If you can keep working from home, do it.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,086
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: The Bee Hive -- December 2021 Edition


@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Brisky wrote:
Not much fun over there...🤐 normal enough.
Ok, I will try to start to lift weights at beginning of year.Starting small with new video. I need to firm up gently. Arms and legs first. .... need to keep strong when I make my journey to the caves! Yes, I used to work out about ten years ago. I do leg work outs still with my own body weight. But... I think I need a program I like and Stick to it...My new year...build it back up Brisk.....Do better and get a DOG.
I miss my friends. People don't get me...except you all!❤❤

@Brisky 

 

I really need to get back into Classical Stretch. 

 

Maybe next year. Woman Embarassed


@just bee 

 

A coincidence you should mention this.  I just got her Aging Backwards book the other day.

 

I haven't been using my Pilates machine on a regular basis for a long time.  And when I would use it, it seemed to do more harm than good--which I'm sure is my fault entirely.  Long story short, I decided the machine was no longer a good option for me (for various reasons) but I still desperately need to do some sort of exercise.  Anything strenuous is out of the question, and I don't want to become dependent on another machine.

 

So Classical Stretch came to mind.  I need to start out much slower than the tv show, so I opted for a book.  I'm hoping the stretches will work out for me.

 

More to the point, I hope I actually do them long enough for them to work for me.


@geezerette 

 

When I was doing them I could definitely feel a difference.  I felt like I was taking ballet.

 

I haven't even done any qigong since my Santa Fe seminar in 2019.

 

I don't like that it's taking more effort to function.  Walking the dog and working 12-hour shifts isn't enough to keep me in shape.

 

I should do things like stretching, yoga and qigong because I need the benefits above the neck.


@just bee 

 

I need the benefits above and below the neck.  And the neck, too!😁

 

At least you have the excuse of working so long and hard.  I have no excuses, yet I manage to find them in my mind.

 

Apparently sitting is the new smoking.  And I've been very guilty of that for too long.  I know from first hand experience how long you can stave off illness and worse just by keeping moving.  Not hard back-breaking labor, just movement.  And I also know how quickly those protective benefits disappear once you stop moving.  And the pain starts.

 

Seems like lots of people are realizing how much we've let ourselves go.  Just this morning I was texting with a friend and we were both lamenting that we don't walk our dogs together anymore.  Then we confessed that neither of us could manage to walk to the other's house anymore in the first place.  

Definitely time to get serious with HEP and exercise.  Let's Move!🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,086
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: The Bee Hive -- December 2021 Edition


@just bee wrote:

Just finished some Benny Goodman but I was hoping for Glenn Miller.

 

And guess what?  Now it's What's The Matter With Me?

 

Duke Ellington now.

 

I actually have to remind myself to listen to music.  It's... therapeutic.

 

Ooh -- Woody Herman.

 

What are you listening to these days?


@just bee 

 

The Voice of Denial in my head.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 35,037
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: The Bee Hive -- December 2021 Edition


@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Just finished some Benny Goodman but I was hoping for Glenn Miller.

 

And guess what?  Now it's What's The Matter With Me?

 

Duke Ellington now.

 

I actually have to remind myself to listen to music.  It's... therapeutic.

 

Ooh -- Woody Herman.

 

What are you listening to these days?


@just bee 

 

The Voice of Denial in my head.


@geezerette 

 

Priceless. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,086
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: The Bee Hive -- December 2021 Edition


@just bee wrote:

Cab Calloway -- Are You Hep To The Jive?

 

We should say, Are You HEP To The Hive?

 

Daily Christmas Bee #13 : RealBeesFakeTopHats


@just bee 

 

I watched the bee show on PBS again.  About the English guy that photographed his backyard bees during lockdown.

 

I have to admit I cried again when his favorite bee (forgot her name) got old and let the predator bee get into one of her nests.  And then she flew away and didn't come back.😭

 

I need to stick to Hallmark movies.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,086
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: The Bee Hive -- December 2021 Edition


@rnmom wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

This is a few days late, just like my brain...

 

07FFABD7-DCDA-40D7-8E61-287A2938826C.jpeg


@geezerette 

 

I saw one of those online slideshows: Dog Breeds That Senior Citizens Should Avoid At All Costs!

 

The Rottweiler was one.  But they were all breeds I like!  Even Greyhounds were on the list.

 

Disqualifiers were things like size, energy level and ability to shed whole dogs in a day.  I guess Greyhounds are prolific shedders.


@just bee 

 

I agree with that one, for sure.  In fact, it's a breed that most people should avoid.  Period.  But it's amazing how many people would like one.  Or say they would.

 

But I can't believe a Greyhound would shed more than my monster.  Geez, Greyhounds hardly have any fur to begin with.

 

Speaking of shedding, has WGD been shedding more than usual this winter?  Carla and the cats have.  They stopped as usual when the weather started to cool, then they all began shedding like it's summer again.  The long-haired cat has hairballs again, which he doesn't have during a normal cold winter.  I bathed Carla and brushed her and still couldn't get all the loose hair off.  My friend said her dogs are back to shedding a lot too.  We just assumed it was our warmer than normal weather.


@geezerette - So I typed out my last post before I read this one. Yes! My dogs are shedding like crazy and it's cold here. I've never had so much hair in my house. I don't know what is going on, I simply can't keep up. 


@rnmom 

 

I guess that shoots down my theory that it's because of unseasonably warm weather.

 

There are just so many weird things going on in the animal world now.  I hardly have any songbirds at my feeders anymore.  In fact, I reduced the number of feeders because they were remaining untouched.  I noticed only one small flock of geese migrating south this year, when we used to have the sky filled with them for weeks.  I suppose it's the dreaded climate change, but I also think it's environmental change too.  Some species are actually adapting well to our increased urbanization.

 

Too bad I'm not one of them.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 35,037
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: The Bee Hive -- December 2021 Edition


@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Brisky wrote:
Not much fun over there...🤐 normal enough.
Ok, I will try to start to lift weights at beginning of year.Starting small with new video. I need to firm up gently. Arms and legs first. .... need to keep strong when I make my journey to the caves! Yes, I used to work out about ten years ago. I do leg work outs still with my own body weight. But... I think I need a program I like and Stick to it...My new year...build it back up Brisk.....Do better and get a DOG.
I miss my friends. People don't get me...except you all!❤❤

@Brisky 

 

I really need to get back into Classical Stretch. 

 

Maybe next year. Woman Embarassed


@just bee 

 

A coincidence you should mention this.  I just got her Aging Backwards book the other day.

 

I haven't been using my Pilates machine on a regular basis for a long time.  And when I would use it, it seemed to do more harm than good--which I'm sure is my fault entirely.  Long story short, I decided the machine was no longer a good option for me (for various reasons) but I still desperately need to do some sort of exercise.  Anything strenuous is out of the question, and I don't want to become dependent on another machine.

 

So Classical Stretch came to mind.  I need to start out much slower than the tv show, so I opted for a book.  I'm hoping the stretches will work out for me.

 

More to the point, I hope I actually do them long enough for them to work for me.


@geezerette 

 

When I was doing them I could definitely feel a difference.  I felt like I was taking ballet.

 

I haven't even done any qigong since my Santa Fe seminar in 2019.

 

I don't like that it's taking more effort to function.  Walking the dog and working 12-hour shifts isn't enough to keep me in shape.

 

I should do things like stretching, yoga and qigong because I need the benefits above the neck.


@just bee 

 

I need the benefits above and below the neck.  And the neck, too!😁

 

At least you have the excuse of working so long and hard.  I have no excuses, yet I manage to find them in my mind.

 

Apparently sitting is the new smoking.  And I've been very guilty of that for too long.  I know from first hand experience how long you can stave off illness and worse just by keeping moving.  Not hard back-breaking labor, just movement.  And I also know how quickly those protective benefits disappear once you stop moving.  And the pain starts.

 

Seems like lots of people are realizing how much we've let ourselves go.  Just this morning I was texting with a friend and we were both lamenting that we don't walk our dogs together anymore.  Then we confessed that neither of us could manage to walk to the other's house anymore in the first place.  

Definitely time to get serious with HEP and exercise.  Let's Move!🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️


@geezerette 

 

One of the consequences of a lockdown.

 

I've noticed that many of my coworkers have packed on a lot of extra weight.  Clearly, buying new scrubs every few months is the new normal.

 

I refuse to spend the money.  My first scrubs lasted seven years.  I have no intention of buying bigger sizes.  Of course I always wear clothes that are slightly roomier than what I actually need.  So far that has worked for me.

 

I'm definitely an apple.  When I gain weight it's all above my hips.  The first place I notice it is in my bra.  I don't like the feeling of a constant bear hug so I'm all in for some increased movement.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~