Honored Contributor

Re: The Bee Hive -- April 2023 Edition

@AuntG wrote:

Just one comment. That first bee hive had me awestruck. Was that an actual hairdo or some kind of computer imagery? You'd need a neck brace to wear it and you'd never fit into a car.

@AuntG 

I remember my History of Costume class in college when we studied the elaborate hairstyles of the 18th Century.

18th Century Woman's Hairstyles A collection of... | THE VINTAGE THIMBLE

Blah Since I Know: On the European Hair of the 18th Century

14+ 18th Century Hairstyle You've Gotta See Trending Now

They built those styles with straw and bear grease.

Rodents and other critters often nested inside them.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Opening day today for track and field.   Got there at one and it wasn't over till about 5 almost. 

Had to run to Macy's  to pick up an order. 

Of course I got snagged by the motorcade.  15 mins. at least.....

Long day.  Busy weekend.

Honored Contributor

I think they hid snacks in their hair.
Rancid bear grease must have smelled lovely.
I’ve read about hygiene practices and well, it’s amazing procreation even happened. 🥴🤣

Is it just me or does that total eclipse path go through the new tornado alley? 👀

Anthony Rendon is an idiot. He’ll probably get a lengthy suspension.

….I wonder what it would be like to have a 🐿️ living in my hair?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bikerbabe wrote:
I think they hid snacks in their hair.
Rancid bear grease must have smelled lovely.
I’ve read about hygiene practices and well, it’s amazing procreation even happened. 🥴🤣

Is it just me or does that total eclipse path go through the new tornado alley? 👀

Anthony Rendon is an idiot. He’ll probably get a lengthy suspension.

….I wonder what it would be like to have a 🐿️ living in my hair?

@bikerbabe 

There was a perfumed bear grease but I can't say that would have helped the situation.  Bear grease is bear grease.  It's going to smell.

The study of human history is fascinating.  Sometimes when I think that we are living in the worst of times I only have to remind myself of just about any other time in history that was even more awful.

Early medical treatment and surgery.  Eek.  The odds were against us yet, apparently, procreation was never an issue.  We managed.  A lot.

And Rendon's behavior was disgraceful.  Some role model.  The kids in Little League have more class.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Beeing. #mondays #bees #priscillaburrisart | Illustration, Bee, Snoopy

Respected Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette @just bee 

Thanks for asking about me and my health on the March thread.  I didnt mean to drop and run.   Last year my white blood cell count was really high and I wasnt fighting a cold or infection, at least it wasnt apparent.  My doctor waited some to see if it would correct itself as the body sometimes does, and it was the same. So, she sent me off to oncology. My oncologist thought it was odd, did the testing and didnt find anything of note, white count still high. So, now it is just monitoring, however, I am not keeping up with it. I just cannot add another doc to the mix. I go to my primary regularly because I take meds that need refilling and I will monitor things that way. 

However, I know that I have to get on a schedule with testing as I should. You are right @just bee, caretakers do suffer a bit in their own health. Over 10 years ago, I was faced with possible layoffs. To the credit of my company they gave a very generous leeway. I figured I would at least go for my tests and get them done for the year. Well, I never made it. Between everyone's elses doc appts, work and stress, I just threw my hands up. But something broke in me. And now I only go for my primary and nothing else unless needed. Not good I know but the mental block is there. 

I could bore you all to tears by starting with my head down to my toes with medical issues that never seem to turn into much, thankfully, but still frustrating because it can be debilitating at times. 

Thanks for asking. Health definitely becomes important as one gets older. 

On a positive note, I lost 13 lbs. I reduced the quantity of junk food I was consuming. I still have it everyday but I am reasonable in how much I am consuming and knowing I will have bad days. The bad habits are sneaking back in, but I need to get a handle on them soon.  Although I will say, by reducing the amount of sugar I was having, I expected more energy and I havent found that to be the case. But having a little extra room in my "big" pants is refreshing. 

I hope you all enjoy this Sunday.  After the storm last night it is sunny but chilly. that is fine by me. 

@aprilskies - I wasn't aware that you were having health issues. I haven't been able to keep up on this thread the way I would like to. I thought I'd come over here and check it out for April seeing as how it's only the third day of the month and found 9 pages already! That's why I just can't keep up, but I miss everyone. I do hope that you take care of yourself and following up with your doctors as needed.

Congratulations on your recent weight loss. I am sad to say, all the weight I lost in 2020 has all come back over the last 2 years.  Well, all but about 10 lbs of it. I got to the point where I just didn't care anymore. So now I'm back in my "fat" clothes and I feel like garbage. That is what I do, over and over, it's my cycle. Gaining or losing, I have an awful time just maintaining.

Now it seems like something is hurting all the time. I feel like I'm 20 years older than I am. Will I make it a point to start eating better and drop a few pounds again? I hope so, but I'm not making any great declarations because I just don't want to disappoint myself. If nothing else I do want to cut back on how much sugar I eat. I'm sure that's not helping with all the aches and pains for sure. 

Honored Contributor

Bee Easter egg for basket Easter egg with flowers Easter gift | Etsy

Honored Contributor

Bee Easter egg for basket Easter egg with flowers Easter gift | Etsy

Bee Easter Egg

Gisela Graham London Ceramic Egg Bee and Flowers Easter trinket pot | eBay

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette @just bee 

Thanks for asking about me and my health on the March thread.  I didnt mean to drop and run.   Last year my white blood cell count was really high and I wasnt fighting a cold or infection, at least it wasnt apparent.  My doctor waited some to see if it would correct itself as the body sometimes does, and it was the same. So, she sent me off to oncology. My oncologist thought it was odd, did the testing and didnt find anything of note, white count still high. So, now it is just monitoring, however, I am not keeping up with it. I just cannot add another doc to the mix. I go to my primary regularly because I take meds that need refilling and I will monitor things that way. 

However, I know that I have to get on a schedule with testing as I should. You are right @just bee, caretakers do suffer a bit in their own health. Over 10 years ago, I was faced with possible layoffs. To the credit of my company they gave a very generous leeway. I figured I would at least go for my tests and get them done for the year. Well, I never made it. Between everyone's elses doc appts, work and stress, I just threw my hands up. But something broke in me. And now I only go for my primary and nothing else unless needed. Not good I know but the mental block is there. 

I could bore you all to tears by starting with my head down to my toes with medical issues that never seem to turn into much, thankfully, but still frustrating because it can be debilitating at times. 

Thanks for asking. Health definitely becomes important as one gets older. 

On a positive note, I lost 13 lbs. I reduced the quantity of junk food I was consuming. I still have it everyday but I am reasonable in how much I am consuming and knowing I will have bad days. The bad habits are sneaking back in, but I need to get a handle on them soon.  Although I will say, by reducing the amount of sugar I was having, I expected more energy and I havent found that to be the case. But having a little extra room in my "big" pants is refreshing. 

I hope you all enjoy this Sunday.  After the storm last night it is sunny but chilly. that is fine by me. 

@aprilskies 

I was disappointed when the doctor who was getting ready to do my colonoscopy was alarmed about my weight loss.  Don't doctors encourage weight loss?

That's the one thing I feel great about.  That and the fact that my hair stopped falling out.  Of course that may happen again, but my tax person says that turbans and wigs are something I can claim on my taxes. Woman Wink

We just don't appreciate our good health while we have it.  I deal with several suicidal patients each night at work and many of them are in perfect physical health.  They're young and have a whole life ahead of them.  But they can't see that.

I met with my tax person today and, as it turns out, she has had cancer, too.  In her nose of all places.

We get sick.  The people we love get sick.  Our pets get sick.  It's inevitable.  It's how we deal with it that matters.

BH pointed out something to me earlier today.  When I was 40 I had my first mammogram.  They found a walnut-size lump.

It was removed and benign, but I was a little freaked out.

Now I have a mass and it's not benign and I'm not freaked out.

BH observed that age puts things in perspective.  It certainly does.

All we can do is appreciate the things we have in our lives and savor the good. Heart

@just bee - What do you mean you have a mass and it's NOT benign? 

Honored Contributor

@rnmom 

After my summer surgery, it was suggested that I get off the stick, get a PCP and catch up on all the annual exams I'd been avoiding for twenty years.

All my labs and exams were perfect except one.  I had my first colonoscopy last Monday and they found a large malignant mass.

The Cancer Center doctors are reviewing patient charts today so I should be hearing something from them this week. 

Don't know how long it's been there but it's large and they knew it was cancer even before the biopsy.