Trusted Contributor

Thanksgiving Dinner Left Me Saddened

Won't go into a long story........ my brother hardly ever sees his 2 sons.  One lives in the same state as my brother (about 20 miles away) the other lives in another state.  A divorce was involved and the two boys "sided" with their mom.   She brainwashed the boys against my brother.  My brother is a good man.

During the Thanksgiving dinner, a friend they invited, asked him if he's heard from the two boys.  He got very upset and raised his voice (almost yelling) and said he did not want to talk about it, etc.  I know it hurts him that the boys do not stay in touch with him, but I think it really bothers him during the holiday.

We left his house just feeling very sad.  I think I'll just give him a call tonight (won't mention the "topic"), and thank him for the dinner, etc.

Holidays are not the best for everyone.

Honored Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner Left Me Saddened

With all the hoopla about Christmas and presents and family; it's easy to forget that the holidays are difficult for people in your brother's situation.  Many people dred this type of year because the pain they feel due to a loss or separation from someone they love heightened.  I think you are on the right track, I think your brother would appreciate a call from you.  Don't mention his sons, just reach out to him with love and support.  He'll get the message.  

Esteemed Contributor

@BunSnoop 

@BunSnoop wrote:

Won't go into a long story........ my brother hardly ever sees his 2 sons.  One lives in the same state as my brother (about 20 miles away) the other lives in another state.  A divorce was involved and the two boys "sided" with their mom.   She brainwashed the boys against my brother.  My brother is a good man.

During the Thanksgiving dinner, a friend they invited, asked him if he's heard from the two boys.  He got very upset and raised his voice (almost yelling) and said he did not want to talk about it, etc.  I know it hurts him that the boys do not stay in touch with him, but I think it really bothers him during the holiday.

We left his house just feeling very sad.  I think I'll just give him a call tonight (won't mention the "topic"), and thank him for the dinner, etc.

Holidays are not the best for everyone.

They can be very sad for those of us that spend it alone.  Im, in good standing with my son,s, but my daughter and I don,t speak.  She now gives all the holiday dinners, big home and can afford it.  I am in my 80,A and spend the holidays alone , but with my best friend, my dog.

Everyone goes to her home.  I have grandkids that I really did a lot for money, recently shelter, and when they were young, took to Disney land, etc.  Last year, one was going to put his dog to sleep, but had me watch it for two weeks while they, (his wife, daughter) went to Hawaii.  I brought it to vet. Got everything it needed to live again, hand fed it, meds, and it started walking again, became healthy.  That,s my daughter,s son, so she doesn,t talk to me, now neither does he.  The other grandson, my oldest son,(60),came to stay with me when he was forced to leave his house.  I don,t hear from him either.  My daughter is the matriarch of the family and no one wants to get on her bad side, so I am left alone most of the time on holidays.

I have a busy life otherwise and healthy and go and do many thing. Volunteer, teach Seniors exercise.  Take care of my home and garden, so I don,t mope around with a sad face.  It,s just holiday,s are hard and the lack of love and respect for a Grandma and Great Grandma that cared so much through the years.  Only one son called and wished me HT.  He lives40 miles  away.  The. Daughter and other son, one mile.  Ha, the wives also have gotten a lot of QVC stuff from me.  Even recently.  I,m told by friends, forget them.  Really?  It,s very hard at the holidays at my age.  Get they can forget about me.  I miss my family that are all deceased noe.  Our big holiday dinners, sitting around the table, then playing games.  Going back, eating dessert, playing more games, talking to one another,  no devices or TV on, just enjoying one another.

So yes Holiday,s are rough with no family that cares for you.

Esteemed Contributor

We have two things like this going in my family.  

First, kids are not stupid and by the time they are adults they know the truth and can act on it.

Second, I would question exactly type of father your brother was.

Third, although the friend was wrong to bring the topic up, your brother's response was over the top.  When that happens, it is usually about something else.

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition, please keep on enjoying living your life. You know you have done your best and been a kind, caring, and generous mother and grandmother. People don't change and I suspect you will always be left out but someday they may have to live with a lot of guilt and shame.

Trusted Contributor

@Still Raining  wrote:

Hutchhill:  No, there is no question "what type of father"he was  - he was a great father.    Won't go in to full detail, but x-wife cheated on him with another woman.   He stayed and supported her financially, after that for about 9 years, as he wanted to be there with the family until the kids were grown.  She loved it as she went out did her own thing, and he kept bringing in the money.  So much more I could tell, but won't .   Believe me, he was a good father!!

\

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop how sad the ex wife brainwashed your nephews. Maybe when you talk to your brother, he'll elaborate on what caused his outburst. Sometimes we have to tread carefully during the holidays.

Esteemed Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

@Still Raining  wrote:

Hutchhill:  No, there is no question "what type of father"he was  - he was a great father.    Won't go in to full detail, but x-wife cheated on him with another woman.   He stayed and supported her financially, after that for about 9 years, as he wanted to be there with the family until the kids were grown.  She loved it as she went out did her own thing, and he kept bringing in the money.  So much more I could tell, but won't .   Believe me, he was a good father!!

\

I don't think a great father would hang around in a bad situation and be used for 9 years.  What kind of example is a doormat?  Could it be that the sons resent him for putting them in the middle?

Honored Contributor

I don't think the friend should have asked the question..  Surely he knew it was a sensitive topic, if he was indeed a "friend." 

I guess he won't bring it up again.  So maybe something was accomplished after all.

Trusted Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

We have two things like this going in my family.  

First, kids are not stupid and by the time they are adults they know the truth and can act on it.

Third, although the friend was wrong to bring the topic up, your brother's response was over the top.  When that happens, it is usually about something else.

Sounds like you are responding to your own family issues.  Hard to put back a broken child's relationship if it was severed my a vindictive ex-spouse.