Honored Contributor

I'm out of bird food and we have a cold snap coming, so I figured I could stop by Lowes on my way home from singing practice for Sunday to get some.  We met early today, so I could miss at least most of rush hour traffic even though we ran late.  I went into Lowes and got my bird food.  Would've also picked up some suet even though I still have 2 cakes left, but they were out.  As I finished up paying, the cashier said "Thank you my love."  Don't think I have ever had anybody call me My Love before.

As I was leaving the Lowes parking lot I figured I might as well pop over to the adjoining town and pick up some suet from Lowes.  The next town you say?  Yes, I take a left out of Lowes parking lot and then a right that goes behind the Publix/Staples shopping center and come out at the road that divides the two towns and Home Depot is on the other side of the road, which is also the road that I would take to go home.  I actually passed by HD on my way to Lowes, but I would prefer the tax dollars go to my own town whenever possible.  

Respected Contributor

The famous model and widow of David Bowie, IMAN, also calls everybody "My love."  It seems that certain people develop that affectionate address and feel comfortable using it.  I do call all my kitties "little loves," but would not feel comfortable using the term with a stranger.

Thanks for caring for all our wild bird companions!

Respected Contributor

Re: Thank You My Love

[ Edited ]

I don't know where you live but in the south that type thing is common. Maybe not that phrase exactly but people say things like that to strangers. I find myself saying Thank you dear to women often. 

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

The famous model and widow of David Bowie, IMAN, also calls everybody "My love."  It seems that certain people develop that affectionate address and feel comfortable using it.  I do call all my kitties "little loves," but would not feel comfortable using the term with a stranger.

Thanks for caring for all our wild bird companions!

@FancyPhillyshopper  @Icegoddess 

I think it is a very British thing.  My two British friends say it, as if we would "Sweetie" or "Honey."

Esteemed Contributor

I hate it when any stranger calls me hon/honey, sweetie, dear etc., especially men.  There was a local jackazz that called women doll. I wanted to slap him stupid when he did it, instead I did tell him to knock it off.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't mind being called my love, honey, miss, ma'am, doll, sweetie, or similar.  I just don't like it when a grown man calls me "kiddo", and I'm older then he is. 

I don't want to embarrass him or make it a big deal, so I just overlook it.  Everyone has their quirks, and I chalk it up to how they were raised and that it didn't mean any harm.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

I'm in a call center Customer Service Rep

Believe me I've been called way worse!  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I'm in a call center Customer Service Rep

Believe me I've been called way worse!  LOL

@Mary Bailey Me too, and on these boards.  HaHa.  Actually, I just chuckled about it, wasn't the least bit offended, just surprised.  

BTW, it was a lady.  

Regular Contributor

The cashier at my local Aldi grocery store is British. She refers to every customer as "My Love" in the most sincere uplifting tone. It sounds wonderful and I never tire of hearing it.

Honored Contributor

My Love isn't that bad, but I draw the line when men at gas stations or checkout lines use "Dearie" or "Hon". 

My SIL calls my DD "Babe". That makes the hair on my neck stand up. Somehow it seems demeaning to me.