Esteemed Contributor

Temporary goodbye at the airport this morning

My youngest daughter left this morning for 7 wks training with a terrific company, which will place her in a hub city (not her hometown). Her dream job. I am so proud and excited for her but when I had a chance to sit down, realized how sad I'll be that we won't be living in the same town. She is a joy and such pleasant company. I've been so focused on her opportunity that I've pushed away my thoughts until she left town. Oldest daughter lives in Phoenix. Special Education teacher, married with sons. We visit 4 times a year and she visits her hometown once a year. My son and his young sons live close by. I am so grateful for my children. I'm close to all three, but whew - this child leaving hit me harder than I anticipated. 

Everything will be just fine. I am thankful. Just a melancholy day. No snark or scolding responses, please. Just wanted to read about your similar mom/dad/aunt/uncle/grandparent/sister/brother experiences. Go ahead and tell me everything will be great -- even better (Smiley Happy)

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Re: Temporary goodbye at the airport this morning

I understand completely.When my olny child left for college I cried for days.I came to realize at that moment he would never return home to live but would now be a visitor.It took me a long time to get okay with that.Now I am proud of the self reliant man he has become and look forward to his calls and visits without feeling emptiness after he leaves.

You are going to feel better as soon as your daughter settles in to her new job.This is the last one to leave and so I imagine it is more difficult to get used to.Her life sounds exciting and I am sure you are proud of her. 

Respected Contributor

I think in life we give our children roots and then we give them wings. The wings are the hardest thing to give them even though we want them to follow their hearts and dreams. It is just hard to let them move forward and out of our nest. I think the only way it gets easier is when we see them succeed and move forward in life. At least when that happens we can actually see that it was all worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for your kind words on my melancholy day. Re-focusing on family blessings and our new normal. Thank you for allowing me to express emotions in words. Husband just left for hardware store and to walk to the dog. I think he needs a little down time, too.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake   I have no particular story however I am an airport crybaby.  I don't care who you are - if I am taking you to the airport, when we get to the point where you as a passenger can move forward and I have to stay behind, I get choked up and weepy.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Everything will be great and you can start on plans for hers or your other daughter's visit next.  This is the road of life and it sounds like you've done a wonderful job on your children.  A little more "me" time.  It's OK.  It'll be natural and normal in no time at all.

Respected Contributor

@jeanlake 

It is the hardest thing in the world to realize that they are adults and have their own lives going on.  But, we have to do it, don’t we?  You never predict this feeling, so when it hits you, wham.  They are not your babies anymore.  I feel your pain.  Thanks for listening to mine.

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake -

I so understand!

I just wish all my children could live in the same state!

Is that too much to ask?!:Woman Sad

I often invision a lovely spot where we all have our own cottage, all the pets we love and we can all help take care of them and each other.

I do think that when I have been away from my children for awhile, we have become closer in more ways by sharing things over the phone that we often didn't even get the time to when living together and all on different schedules. And that has been wonderful.

I actually got to see my children that moved away it seemed more than I did when they were in high school at times, aside from games and things I'd watch them in.

But then when we would visit in person, I would miss them even more when they left.

Then get used to them not being there again and trying to be okay with that you know?

I try not to think of it as being sad we are not all together, because that reality is not going to change anytime soon, but to think how great it is when we do get to spend time.

I also sometimes do not even allow myself to say, "I miss them" cause then I'd be a blubery mess!

Hearts to all the moms and grandmoms and dad people too-to all of us and our childrenSmiley Happy 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We only have 1 child and all I can say is being an empty nester isn't all it was cracked up to be!

It was really hard, cried all the way home the first time we left her at college.

Started crying even before she turned the corner to move out of state because of a job promotion.

I couldn't and didn't let her see it, I did not want to be the mother that put her kid on a guilt trip.

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake 

I vividly remember taking my daughter to the airport when she left for an out-of-state college.  I can still see myself facing the window, watching the plane fly off, wishing I could see her face in the plane's window, and barely seeing much of anything through the tears. 

I'm making some nice hot tea.  Let's sit together and share tears of joy over the fabulousness of our daughters (and, of course, your son).

Image result for hot tea steaming

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.