Esteemed Contributor

Re: Temporary goodbye at the airport this morning

I still remember when my daughters embarked on their first jobs after college. At first they went to NYC, about 4+ hours away. Then they went further afield and I was crushed. And when they married and had children whom I could see only a few times a year, that too was tough. I suppose I’m more used to it now but it’s not easy.

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake 

And so by now are you feeling better?💗

Our DD has been a joy also. Hearing your story makes me realize I will never be immune to this lump in my throat and holding back tears.

Life is fraught with ups and downs, smiles and tears! 

Objectively speaking (when it’s possible) I realize I spent my whole life preparing her for independence. Then I see daughters who never left their hometown or home state and they are happy and doing just fine!

Sometimes I wish I could have a “do-over” in this regard!

Then when sanity returns, I think I could never have crushed her spirit like that. 

She is a strong young woman and manages her life just fine...and I guess know I wouldn’t have it any other way!💗

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for your continued kind words. I'm doing much better as days go on. Acceptance is key for me as the job interview, then move, happened quickly. DDs boyfriend is being supportive but he's sad, wondering about their relationship now. Time will tell. He owns his business and is doing what he loves so he wants her to be fulfilled in her career, too. Happy for my daughter's opportunity to work for a good company, doing what she really wants to do. So thankful for technology. I think about my mom who moved from Asheville, NC to Kansas City, MO as a young wife and mother because of my dad's VA job training. Mom could only afford to call her mother once a week and when money was tight, called collect. More options, more stress -- but many more conveniences in our modern world. Thanks again. Enjoy your weekend.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake 

I would certainly hope no one would be cruel enough to respond with snarky comments to your post. It was heartfelt; it makes me think that was how my mama must have felt when I got on a plane in TX to leave for my new job in HI.  I’m sure you’re proud of your daughter & I’m sure she loves her mama. Thank you for sharing your story.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.