Respected Contributor

Re: Temporary goodbye at the airport this morning

@jeanlake 

You’re a great mom! You focused on your daughter and helped her to embrace this opportunity without dragging her down. My parents were like you. So much so that I only learned in much later in adulthood that Mother had cried and cried when I left for college and for a long time afterward.  She said it was only one of two times that she saw my stepfather cry, too. They were such cheerleaders of mine and such great actors that I never saw their loss. I honestly thought, as only a kid can, that life was totally the same back home and that I was the one missing them. I see now how naive that was. 

You’ve given your daughter such a gift—of flying free for awhile with the joy of knowing you’re waiting for her back home. Hugs to you.

Respected Contributor

Oh this makes me think of my granddaughter. She went to Africa for three months to help underprivileged children. We worried and prayed all the time. She loved working with the children. We felt better when she sent a picture of her in the ocean with the children. She is now in Boston doing the same thing. Her goal is to become a human rights lawyer.
Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful words and I'm touched by your sweet spirits. Thank you for making today easier. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@Catiele your granddaughter sounds lovely 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I went through the same thing when my son left our home for the first time.He moved to college out of state. It didn't really hit me til the evening. Then the tears were rolling. We talk on the phone a lot. It's pretty tough.😢
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You will be ok and I wish your daughter all the best on her new adventure.Smiley Happy

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@jeanlake  I just want to send you a big hug.  Hope each day you feel better!

Honored Contributor

I totally understand and I'm so very grateful that both of my adult kids live in the city only an hour away.  Several of my friends' kids and my nephews live either across the country or many hours away.  

Seeing your kids a few times a year isn't the same as being able to spontaneously get together when the occasion should arise.  Your daughter will be back before you know it!

Esteemed Contributor

Monday morning and today is much better. I just needed an emotional release yesterday until my reality and your kind words soaked in. Sometimes, when we know we're having a 'moment,' its easier to share with people who aren't family, don't work with and aren't closest friends. We are so used to giving to others -- we don't want loved ones to needlessly worry about us. Thank you again for your non-judgemental blessings. I will certainly try to return the favor.   

Trusted Contributor

I understand completely. Our children are the world to us and just having her away for even a short time is hard. But just remember how fast time goes and since it's a wonderful opportunity for her, you will feel better and better each day. But you are not alone, I miss any of my kids even when they go away for a short vacation!