Valued Contributor

Re: Taxes: Are most peeps doing their own?

My husband always does them and I said if he should no longer be here, I will go to a CPA.  In fact, my SIL is a CPA but we do not want him to know what we have. 

We really got screwed up when we moved from Md. to NJ and had to pay Md, NJ and my husband worked in NY taxes.  The CPA did not know what he was doing and we were audited.  Husband said he would never trust anyone again.  We have been good ever since.

Honored Contributor

Done by a family member for years.   

Frequent Contributor

I do my own taxes - have for years. The past few years I have used TaxAct.

Honored Contributor

I have a CPA do them.  

Honored Contributor

A CPA does mine. Including federal and two state returns, there are over 100 pages. Tax laws change every year, and I prefer to have a professional deal with this. I have used TurboTax in the past to file returns for my kids. It’s fine if your return isn’t very complicated.
Esteemed Contributor

Too hard. My deceased husband had his money invested in the stock market. In my name now so I have to have an accountant. No easy.

Respected Contributor

DH has been using TurboTax to do our taxes for years and we’ve never had a problem. This year was no exception. 

Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I know almost everyone I know does their own taxes.  It's so expensive to have someone do it for you and the secret is out now.  They use the exact same software to do taxes that we can use right from the comfort of our own homes.  But it's not even April yet, your guy might have more work than he can handle in a week or two.

Chrystaltree, My husband is a CPA and I GUARANTEE you, he does NOT use “the exact same software” you could use from the comfort of your home.   My husband spends thousands of dollars every year for new software with all the current updates.  THOUSANDS of dollars.....as in 5 digits.  The average person would of course never buy that kind of software.  And then there is the continuing education he must take throughout the year to stay current on all new tax laws and changes of regulations.  So please, don’t make a broad, general statement about how a CPA does your tax return.  And as far as it being expensive......as I’ve already stated....it’s expensive for him to stay current, and be prepared to serve you in the best way possible.  He works six long, pressured filled days from January to April 15th.  And then he gives you a well prepared, several page document that his employees have assembled.  Employees....not volunteers....so they too must get paid.  H & R Block would probably be cheaper....if you care to take that chance.  

Super Contributor

We are retired and have had our taxes done FREE by AARP Volenteers.  Check on line for where they are doing taxes in your immediate area.  We have gone to them for the last 14 years and have been pleased with their service.  Our return isn't complicated and not alot of deductions so it works well for us.  If you don't like how it turns out you can go to someone else.  Can't hurt to try them.  

Respected Contributor

Turbo DH does ours & DD for years. DD got all her refunds we owe will wait almost til the end to pay it