Respected Contributor

Taxes: Are most peeps doing their own?

The man who's been doing my taxes for the last 10 years emailed me 2 weeks ago and told me his office had moved.  He used to be 10 minutes from my house.  Now he's 30 minutes away.

I couldn't find the new place b'cz the receptionist told me they were "next to Macy's".

Well, Macy's has THREE FLOORS .. I couldn't find the office and no one who worked in the mall knew where it was!

I was so t*cked off by the time I found the place, I just wanted to go somewhere else.

Apparently, they thought being in a "mall" would generate more business. 

But the new office was EMPTY ... just like the old office.

Are most people doing their own taxes these days?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Taxes: Are most peeps doing their own?

not us.

we have our own business so we have a CPA do our business and personal taxes.

we use him year round, not just this time of the year.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I MAIL my tax paperwork to my lawyer.   My late husband once made a GIGANTIC ERROR........and I got threatened with "Leavenworth" by the IRS. I'm sure they have a "flag" on my SS#, and I'm not taking any chances.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Nope.  CPA.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Absolutely not. Mine are fairly complicated. The money spent on a CPA is well worth it.

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

I think alot of people do their own taxes, using the on-line services (turbotax, etc.).  This year, though, seemed like not a good year to do it - so many changes for 2018.  I have my taxes done, because I LOATH doing it myself, even if I am capable.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

The man who's been doing my taxes for the last 10 years emailed me 2 weeks ago and told me his office had moved.  He used to be 10 minutes from my house.  Now he's 30 minutes away.

I couldn't find the new place b'cz the receptionist told me they were "next to Macy's".

Well, Macy's has THREE FLOORS .. I couldn't find the office and no one who worked in the mall knew where it was!

I was so t*cked off by the time I found the place, I just wanted to go somewhere else.

Apparently, they thought being in a "mall" would generate more business. 

But the new office was EMPTY ... just like the old office.

Are most people doing their own taxes these days?

================

The other thing that bothered me was the "receptionist". 

I gave her my stuff and asked her to give it to (tax guy).  SHE SAID, "may I see your ID please?".

I must've had a crazy look on my face, because she smiled and said, "Just so I can make sure you are who you say you are ..."

I turned around and walked OUT the door.

(and they were NOT ..  "next to Macy's" ... 

they were next door to a mexican restaurant!  SMH ...!!)

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

We’ve never done our own taxes. My parents always had a cpa, and so do we. 

Honored Contributor

Mine are more complex than I feel comfortable undertaking.  I have my accountant take care of them.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope this may help someone who needs help in filing their return.  For low to moderate income returns, please check out VITA ( Volunteer Income Tax Assistance).  It's absolutely free and they have locations open across the country until April15.

This is offered in conjunction with AARP and IRS, but you don't need to be a senior to use their service.  I was told they do most returns, but not ones with income properties (landlords).