Trusted Contributor

Re: Taxes: Are most peeps doing their own?

I always do my taxes myself.  Ours aren't complicated at all, just the basic deductions so its not a big deal.  I actually found with all the tax law changes it was even easier to do them myself this year.   Not kidding - when I realized how large the standard deduction was, it didn't take long to figure out I wasn't going to be able to deduct enough to go over the standard.  Also saves me tons of money, time and hassle.  Online websites make it so easy.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@RinaRinaThat receptionist was doing you a favor unless she was someone who definitely knew who you are -  although they're more likely to work online, anyone can walk into a preparer's office, hand in false info, change your address and if that office accepts it and does "your" taxes, you've just been scammed so that when you go to do your taxes, they've already been done, refund collected, etc.

Yes, you can appeal, but that can take time, money, and aggravation.  I wouldn't be so quick to be offended.

I used to do taxes for AARP (you'd see us at libraries and senior centers) and unless you absolutely knew someone (neighbor) we always had to see someone's ID.  Also each year we'd have a handful of younger ppl come in with two or three sets of taxes to be done saying it was a relative who had mobility issues - we never allowed any of these - one set of taxes for one person in front of you and the IDs had to match the name on tax return. 

Even so we STILL used to get two or three bounced returns each year - always from newly divorced parents who both tried to claim the same dependent and whichever parent files first, the other one loses out and there are specific rules as to who can claim children and to settle the dispute, taxpayers had to get the IRS involved and that's never pretty.

Esteemed Contributor

I do ours, use turbo tax.

Respected Contributor

Always have done my (our) own taxes since 1970.  Some years was able to itemize and did the "long form" which is probably outdated terminology now.  I enjoyed doing them.  Way back then they didn't seem as complex.   

DH does our on line now.  Ours are not complicated.  If they were we probably would go thru the VITA program.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is the first year that I had to collect all the tax material. My husband has a PhD in accounting but now he has Alzheimer’s and can no longer deal with the detail of preparing taxes. He was able to collect the material for our CPA until this year. I feared I’d screw something up but I guess I watched him long enough to know what to do. One thing I will never do is prepare taxes myself. I value my freedom and don’t want to have any jail time because of my ignorance.

Honored Contributor

@Curlstotame    Please be assured that many of us appreciate the work your husband does.  My CPA works so hard,and sends out quarterly updates to all of her clients, so I know she’s always involved in educating herself in the constantly changing world of tax laws.  

Many of us have business interests in states other than the one where we reside, and she handles all of these other state tax returns without a glitch.  I could not do this, using an online tax program.  

Valued Contributor

I too contininue to use the CPA we had when we had a business.  While I really

don't think ours should be so complex with investments and rental real estate it just becomes too cumbersome to stay up with everything.  It is incredible, I added up my federal retrurn and it was 65 pages.  This is absurd.  Nothing is simple!

Also, the tax law is not simple.  When selling one of my rentals my accountant and I went back and forth and together went through tax code to find the best way to set up the sale.  We often disagree and he will send me tax cases and if I can tell him why I intrepret them different than him he says go with it I could defend that.

Trusted Contributor

We use a CPA - and I appreciate his services. 

Do the math.