Esteemed Contributor

Re: Talking to very unpleasant old people - like my Dad

"Some posters (yourself included I believe) have expressed that they believe children owe it to their parents to put up with whatever, because we're all supposed to love our parents and make sacrifices for them as they did for us. Which works IF you have had a parent or parents who gave you love, nurturing and support, and did sacrifice for you."

Sorry, I was not included in that statement not do I think that way all all.

I do not believe that anyone owes anyone else anything!

Good night and God bless you.  I am not judging your or anyone else who answered with a different opinion.  We all have our reasons for feeling like we do!

My whole point was to try not to internalize the negativity of the parent to make it easier to tolerate the negative conversations.  I stand by that!  If it helped one person deal with the situation, I am blessed!

Super Contributor

I could have written this two years ago, I am ashamed to say. My dad, 89, was just like that, and because I was the only one he lived close to, I was almost soley responsible. He was embarassing when we were in public, inappropriate most of the time, very argumentative, and he stressed me out beyond belief. But let me tell you, I would give anything, absolutely anything to have him back, grump or not. I think our elderly parents are tired..they lash out and I believe now in retrospect, they are trying so hard to remain in control, even though they know they are losing control day by day. So they get louder, they argue more, they nit pick more,  Just remember, he is staring mortality right in the face, so close he can taste it, he knows he can't stop it, he is scared.I know from experience how hard it is for you, how draining it leaves you and for that I am so sorry, but one day you will wake up and he will be gone. Trust me, you will think your going to be relieved, but you will miss him more than you can imagine. 

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

"Some posters (yourself included I believe) have expressed that they believe children owe it to their parents to put up with whatever, because we're all supposed to love our parents and make sacrifices for them as they did for us. Which works IF you have had a parent or parents who gave you love, nurturing and support, and did sacrifice for you."

Sorry, I was not included in that statement not do I think that way all all.

I do not believe that anyone owes anyone else anything!

Good night and God bless you.  I am not judging your or anyone else who answered with a different opinion.  We all have our reasons for feeling like we do!

My whole point was to try not to internalize the negativity of the parent to make it easier to tolerate the negative conversations.  I stand by that!  If it helped one person deal with the situation, I am blessed!

Fair enough, @Zhills. The conversations in this thread got a bit off the rails. 

You have a good night!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Zhills

Am I understanding correctly that your position is for adult children of abusive parents to care for those parents?  No, not taking care of.  Talking to or listening to.

If so, it is most certainly NOT wrong to avoid them later in life, in fact, most therapists will advise doing just that.   I did that!  But I listened many times and couldn't tell you a word she said!

For example, an adult child who has a history of rape or beatings from her father owes him nothing, in fact, it would be detrimental for her or him to be anywhere near a parent like that.  Agreed!  (Don't know how this got into the subject)

One must also take into consideration that such a relationship with an abusive parent would also damage that adult child's own children.

The thread was about "talking to" or "listening to" a negative older parent.

NOTHING MORE!  Don't put words there that were not said or even thought.  

Just do it your way.  Whatever works for you.  I am not your Judge!

You say you aren't their judge but you did judge @Zhills. Some children shouldn't even talk to or even listen to their parents. THey are verbally abusive and they should absolutely cut them out of their lives.

Just because a person brought someone into this world, does not mean they are a great, good or even a decent parent. The OP of this thread obviously IS there for her dad but everyone has a breaking point and how much is a person supposed to take when you are constantly bombarded with negativity and never any positivity or gratitude. 

I do understand that older people can go through a lot that will affect their personalities and pain and depression are just a few of the things that can affect it. 

There are some parents who were always miserable. My grandmother is an example. She was a stay at home mom to my mother and my grandfather worked one full time job and most of the time 2 part time jobs to make ends meet. She refused to work and never wanted to be a mother. She wasn't physically abusive but she was emotional abusive in that she just ignored her children. She was horrible to my grandfather who inexplicably loved her until the day she died. I can never remember one instance of my grandmother showing a loving bone in her body. She complained constantly and when she got older, that only worsened.  I honestly can't believe how lucky I got in that my mother didn't repeat her behavior. I still can't believe that my grandfather stayed with her because not only was she apathetic towards her children but also to my grandfather. I can't tell you how many family gatherings she ruined. When she died after a short illness, not one of her children were upset about her death at all, they were relieved. Now many can say oh how terrible that her children wouldn't even care but I feel how horrible it is to be a mother and not one of your children feels sadness at your death. Shame on her, not my mother and her siblings. It was her mothers fault that they ALL felt nothing. 

I get so tired when someone posts a post like the OP who obviously feels guilty over feeling aggravated with a parent who is such a burden to be around and so negative and they are told you should be feel lucky because you still have a parent. Toxic people are toxic people and no one wants to be around someone who can never display ANY positive emotions and only negative. They don't have to feel lucky they are still here. Sometimes when a parent dies and their child feels relief, it is the fault of the parent and if they hadn't been so miserable, negative and difficult they would have a child that missed their mom or dad.

Now for seniors who didn't have this personality or are suffering from depression, dementia or another illness that contributes to a negative personality, hopefully they will have children that recognize this and get them the help they need. Those are not the parents I am speaking about.

My mother turned 75 this Oct. She is still in good health but I do notice her getting a litte more blunt in her responses. I would do ANYTHING for this woman and I always will. She was a great mom and was there for me at every moment in my life. I go with her to every drs appt she has and take her most places I go. She tells me constantly how much she appreciates me and even though I don't need to hear that, it is nice to hear. In the past 20 yrs or so I have realized how truly lucky I am and I can't honestly say that even 1/4 of my friends have parents as good as I did. I know many people who had parents while not physically abusive were really horrible parents. Toxic people are toxic people and if I had a parent like that, I would have no problem removing them from my life. Just because they are your parents or family member does not mean they have to be in your life.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

c'est la vie

exclamation

1. that's life; such is life.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@poppinfresh wrote:

I could have written this two years ago, I am ashamed to say. My dad, 89, was just like that, and because I was the only one he lived close to, I was almost soley responsible. He was embarassing when we were in public, inappropriate most of the time, very argumentative, and he stressed me out beyond belief. But let me tell you, I would give anything, absolutely anything to have him back, grump or not. I think our elderly parents are tired..they lash out and I believe now in retrospect, they are trying so hard to remain in control, even though they know they are losing control day by day. So they get louder, they argue more, they nit pick more,  Just remember, he is staring mortality right in the face, so close he can taste it, he knows he can't stop it, he is scared.I know from experience how hard it is for you, how draining it leaves you and for that I am so sorry, but one day you will wake up and he will be gone. Trust me, you will think your going to be relieved, but you will miss him more than you can imagine. 

Thank you for this very thought filled post.  You obviously have been there, as I have, along with many others.  Although the selfishness of some people prevents them from any positive thoughts of caring for an elderly parent or person, the fact is that when the elderly are gone, they will have lost any and all chances to make things right - or at least better.  

You did a beautiful job of summarizing the feelings of an older person.  I just lost my precious 97 year old husband, and I'm moving through the 80's as well.  You nailed his feelings, and those I am beginning to feel. You are indeed a wise woman.

Honored Contributor

It's kind of a oneupmanship by saying well, at least YOU still have your parent in your life whereas I don't.  I can see it is an attempt to put things in perspective but some of the time it's an attempt to negate this person's feeling while bringing attention to your own sorrow. 

Its very difficult when we don't feel like society thinks we should about an issue.  It makes it hard to talk about things with anybody. 

Trusted Contributor

I could have written this same post.  My mother-in-law lives with us and is VERY negative.  She thinks up things to gripe about and criticize that I couldn't think up in a million years.  I have tried everything. Trying to bring out the positive in whatever she is talking about, not responding much, etc... Nothing works. The thing is, she is a Christian and reads her bible every day. I don't understand how so much ugliness towards other people can come out of her heart.  She is 85 and not going to change, so I have to learn how to cope with it. My husband flat out told her she is negative, but it hasn't changed her except for dinner time. Every night she sat down for dinner she had something to criticize about my meal-and I'm a good cook.  Now that really bothered me because I put in a lot of time and effort to prepare dinner.  Bottom line is, I have to not let her bother me because she enjoys negativity and won't be changing her ways!

Valued Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for posting this.  My mother is 84 and became super negative after my Dad's death (she was in her early 60's when he died).  I miss my Mom and how she used to be.  I maintain contact but when it goes south, I need to take the dog out or the UPS man is delivering a package.  I know I can't change her so I just disengage from it the best that I can.  If I don't do that then I feel that it will effect me too much.  I know she won't be here forever so I maintain contact but I do it in a way that protects myself as well.