Valued Contributor

Re: Taking forever to get over the flu!

I take the holistic approach. Hydrate, water, bone broth, oranges, steaming my sinuses, rinsing my sinuses. It also helps with a table top humidifier with the cough.

Contributor

@Karie2022 Thanks for the well wishes.  This is actually the 2nd antibiotic he is on.  The 1st one he took for about 3 days and had a reaction to it.  Very strange, it affected his calf muscles. He was having a horrible time walking.  I was worried about blood clots (I'm familiar - I survived a pulmonary embolism) but once the drug was changed, his calf muscle issue resolved itself.  The doctor is calling him Tuesday morning and I'm secretly wishing he will put him in the hospital.  He has COPD and a slight bit of mesothelioma so he had breathing issues already.  

One day he seems to feel better and the next day he feels horrible again.  Ugh!  I just want him to feel better.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Citrine1 wrote:

I get a flu shot; don't get the flu.  Simple as that.  

@Citrine1   Wanna bet!  DH and I both got our flu shots.  Now I wonder what it is we caught.  Not so simple and winter has just started.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

There are many different flu viruses that circulate every year. A flu vaccine is made to protect against the three or four flu viruses that research suggests will be most common. Unfortunately, some people can become infected with a flu virus a flu vaccine is designed to protect against, despite getting vaccinated.
Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

It's been well over 2 weeks that I came down with a bad case of the flu. I thought I'd fully recovered in about a week....but the coughing just hangs on! I haven't regained my full energy level either, but I'm grateful to be MUCH better. Anybody else have experience getting the flu and it lasting longer than you expected? If you've had the flu (type A in my case), how long did it take you to have a 100% recovery? 

@Goldengate8361 

Did you do a COVID test?

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

I get a flu shot; don't get the flu.  Simple as that.  

I never had a flu shot and never had the flu.

Flu vaccines are tricky. There are different types of influenza.  The CDC takes and educated guess on what stand will be popular in any given year.

Sometimes they are right and sometimes not. So,often the vaccine is not effective at all.

Some types, there isn't vaccine for.

It is better to wash your hands often and not touch your face and stay away from crowds....even a good mask helps with the flu, more so than with COVID.

It takes a combination of things to avoid getting the flu.  You can't count on the vaccine being 100% effective.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  I wondered about that too. The doctor told DH to come back after 6 days to be retested to be sure he is over Covid before he goes out again. 

Honored Contributor

Did you test for covid?  I thought I had a cold and flu but it turned out to be covid.

Trusted Contributor

@Citrine1   Wish it was that simple.  We've had all of shots but still have the flu.  We're on day 6 now.   Hope the easy peasy plan works out good for you.

Esteemed Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

@Citrine1   Wish it was that simple.  We've had all of shots but still have the flu.  We're on day 6 now.   Hope the easy peasy plan works out good for you.

I'm sorry you're suffering with this @Junebug54 .  I thought if you got the flu shot and ended up with the flu anyway, that you'd at least have very mild symptoms.  If you're on day 6, it sounds like you had a pretty good case of it.  

To be honest, I never used to get the shot and never got the flu, but started getting the shot a few years ago just to be safe.  I've been lucky when it comes to colds, flu, Covid, etc.