Contributor

Re: Taking forever to get over the flu!

My Dad who is 93, got sick the week before Christmas.  Major coughing and lots of pflegm.  He has no energy, very weak and is having trouble sleeping.  He has really been suffering.  He has been on an inhaler, antibiotics and prednisone.  

Fortunately I have not gotten sick but wow, this ****** is hanging on!!  I'm sorry for all those suffering, but I am glad to know that he's not the only one that has had it for a long time.  He's keeps saying that he hasn't been sick for 10 years, but this one is making up for all that time.

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361   So very sorry to learn of your battle with the flu. It's taking a toll in our area. My daughter had it last week with high temps and body aches and pain. After a couple of days she got in to see her doctor and got an IV, Tamiflu and cough syrup prescriptions. Was better and went to work two days later. Then her husband got it and it hit him hard and he got Tamiflu prescription. He was down about a week. They were both tested for RSV, Covid,strep and more but diagnosis same as you ~Type A.  They are both early 50's and very active and athletic. I think that had a lot to do with their recovery.

I sure hope the new year finds you totally recovered and very happy. Good luck!

Valued Contributor

@Goldengate8361 Many in my area have or have had that nasty flu. They all are having trouble getting over it. Many have had it for 2-4 weeks. Please take care of yourself and don't try to push it. Rest and feel better soon!
Respected Contributor

I hope to never get the flu again.  The main thing I remember about the flu as opposed to a bad cold is the painful body aches muscles especially.  I have said that even my hair hurts!  Those aches along with the coughing and sore throat and all that goes along with.

I used to get the flu just about yearly and had a bad reaction to an early version of the flu shot years ago so  didn't get flu shots -  until I developed septic pnemonia from the flu.  A week in ICU and almost died.  Now I get flu shots annually practically demanded by my PCP.  

Trusted Contributor

@On It wrote:

Is there a test for RSV? Four years ago, I had the worst respiratory infection I have ever had. It wasn't the flu. It was more like a horrible cold, but I was really sick for two weeks. I wonder if it was RSV?  With COVID, RSV, the flu, and colds out there, it is a mine field of illness.

For those of you who are sick, I wish you a speedy recovery. For those taking some time to return to normal, take your time. Do not risk a recurrence. For those who have avoided illness, stay safe.

There is a test for RSV- my Mom was given one in the hospital. Yes, all these illnesses are very similar and treated basically the same, unless of course it's very bad and you end up with pneumonia and in the hospital.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Valued Contributor

Just had a sister and niece both come down with a 24 hour bug. We were all around each other Christmas Day and they were the only two that got sick. They were relieved that it wasn’t the flu lasting all week!
Trusted Contributor

@jeepgrl wrote:

My Dad who is 93, got sick the week before Christmas.  Major coughing and lots of pflegm.  He has no energy, very weak and is having trouble sleeping.  He has really been suffering.  He has been on an inhaler, antibiotics and prednisone.  

Fortunately I have not gotten sick but wow, this ****** is hanging on!!  I'm sorry for all those suffering, but I am glad to know that he's not the only one that has had it for a long time.  He's keeps saying that he hasn't been sick for 10 years, but this one is making up for all that time.

I'm sorry to hear that-my 90 year old Mom was sick for 5 weeks.  She ended up having RSV and bronchitis. Treated with antibiotics, prednisone and an inhaler.  However, she ended up in the ER with chest pains-turned out it had nothing to do with the RSV, it was a different matter, but she was miserable.  She had to go back on a different antibiotic and another course of prednisone....she is finally feeling better. RSV in most is like a common cold, but in babies and the elderly it can be quite serious. Your Dad may need a different antibiotic if he continues to not feel better.  

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Trusted Contributor

Antibiotics are useless against any virus. Good for bacterial infections only. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361   @catmama 

Don't know which states  that you live, but here in Maryland  many have been ill with an upper Respiratory virus that  comes with a cough that last up to 3-4 weeks  with alot of phelgm.  They say some are getting Covid and R SV  , however many are testing negative for both these  virsus   .  My Doctor told me it's been  affecting children and adults with some  reqiring antibiotics as they develop bronchitis or upper Resp  & sinus infections with it . Doxycycline  is often  being prescribed .

Since testing for RSV  is not consistent  in adults and  no testing for mycoplasma  unless you're hospitalized , it's hard to say . In watching TV you  hear  so many TV  news people and TV shopping network hosts  coughing too.

Guess, this year's flu vaccine might have  not included  whatever virus is cauing so much illness across the country .

What are symptopms with Mycoplasma  virus :

" Typical symptoms include fever, cough, bronchitis, sore throat, headache and tiredness. A common result of mycoplasma infection is pneumonia (sometimes called "walking pneumonia" because it is usually mild and rarely requires hospitalization). Infections of the middle ear (otitis media) also can result. "

Esteemed Contributor

I get a flu shot; don't get the flu.  Simple as that.