Honored Contributor

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR LOVE

[ Edited ]

There’s no way to address each one of you for your love, support and prayers during this difficult time since my Mom passed away on March 22nd. It’s still difficult to comprehend and even though the tears and sadness have not ceased, I checked here and was overwhelmed by the outpouring of love by my friends. 

I am trying slowly to get back to some type of normal routine, but find it difficult when out of nowhere just begin to cry. When looking for greeting cards, I pass by the Mother’s Day cards. It’s not far away and unfortunately too soon.

I’m not sure how I’ll make it through, but my granddaughters said that although they know I’m sad, I’m their Daddy’s Mom and he’d like to have a cookout with  me. They said, “Grandma, we’ll understand if you cry”. Wow, out of the mouths of babes...10 and 7. The 10 yr. old is crocheting me a scarf in shades of turquoise silky ribbons. My Mom taught her how to do it last year from her hospital bed...(oh no, tears and typing)...the 7 yr. old is doing a watercolor painting of her greatgrandma from a photo for me...I’ve been working and teaching her, my budding artist. 

So, as my Rabbi said at the service, life does go on honoring the ones we’ve lost by being an example to the next generation...showing them how to laugh and cry, remembering those we’ve loved and continuing to tell them stories to repeat to their children so my Mom lives on forever in their hearts.

Thank you all so much for your kindness.

With love,

Shanus

Honored Contributor

Re: THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR LOVE

@Shanus @Of course you need to cry until you can’t anymore and then you can begin to heal.You have a wonderful family who wants to love you and help you get through it all so you have lost greatly but you still have fortune....take very gentle care of yourself and hug the stuffing out of those beautiful grandchildren.

Honored Contributor

I agree the best way to honor the dead is to live an ethical life, knowing they would want us to be role models to the next generation in the family. Your granddaughters are precious and wise.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  Those beautiful and thoughtful grandchildren are living proof that your Mom is still here.  What a wonderful legacy for them to have your Mom show them how to love and care for others, especially during this difficult time for everyone.

Hold them close and shower them with love and attention. 

I'm so sorry for your loss of your dear Mom.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

@Shanus : Your tears and grief are a measure of how much you love your mom.

And what beautiful loving granddaughters who want to honor you and your mother.

How lovely that these girls are old enough to always remember her. 

Your mother was well loved.

Esteemed Contributor

What a beautiful tribute to your mom, and what a wonderful gift she passed on to your granddaughter, teaching her how to crochet. It sounds like your granddaughters are sweet, wise girls, the love you get from them will help you get through. Its ok to cry. I still get teary when I see the Grandparent's day cards. I miss my grandma so much, I'm just grateful for the memories I have of her.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  Your mom will forever live in the hearts of those who loved her. You will see your mom in your son & your grandchildren.Continue to talk about your mom to the little ones.They will feel her presence & be comforted.

My son was 6 when my mom passed. He’s now 27 & has very vivid memories of Grandma. We speak of her often.I always tell him how proud Grandma is of him. When I’m gone someday I know he will still remember her.The way I still remember my Grandma.Love never fades!!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus- You and your family, your son and granddaughters, are the very best way to honor your mother's legacy of a life well-lived.  They understand your sadness and grief.  Let them shower you with love and they'll help you get through this.  (((Blessings)))

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  What those beautiful granddaughters are doing for you with their crocheting and painting is really part of their own grieving process.  You are helping them grieve in that way, just as they are helping you.

Blessings to you all........your mother is still near.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  Your mom will live on in your hearts, thoughts and memories. At times, you may find yourself in laughter and tears at the same time! It happens. Smile and share the memory if you are with family or close friends; no apologies are ever necessary.

Unfortunately, holidays are very difficult. Especially the first year or two. We still have not returned to a new normal kind of holiday celebration for our family. Religious holidays are done on the correct days, but Mother's Day is done a week early to avoid the crowds. We have also been out of town during Thanksgiving and Christmas the past two years. Hope this year we'll be ready to celebrate the holidays with all of our family traditions! It's been a rough road.

On the plus side, I have had new landscaping done. Removed many of the shrubs which required a lot of trimming and care; had the yard leveled and sod put in. It's easier for the lawn crew and simplifies my life. I had the landscapers move many of mom's favorite plants (which I had taken to her often during the years in Assisted Liviing and Skilled Care). Her absolute favorites were my grandmothers peonies and my own deep purple iris. Those have been with me for over 30 years and shall live on at my son & DIL's home as well. Life is a cycle.

I hope you are able to feel your mom as you move through the grieving process and into your routine of life. My mom is with me in spirit in many ways. Often I'll find myself thinking, "Mom would love this program (or event, or play, or concert, or sunset, etc.)." It makes me smile. I know she's with me at those times.

You'll find so much inner peace through the love and joy of your grandchildren. They have so much wisdom! Keeping you in my thoughts as you and your family walk this path. It seems strange to be the matriach of the family. Our mother's have taught us everything in life. Unfortunately, our mom's didn't teach us how to live without them. <sigh> 

Sincere condolences on your loss. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.