Honored Contributor

I prefer texting when I have a short message.  I work all day and I relax in the evenings so I don't want to talk to people unless it's very important.  Everyone texts.  Even my laundry service prefers that we text our questions and comments instead of calling.  Texting is easier and you can answer at your leisure.  If I want a longer, real conversation with someone, we arrange a time that works for both of us via text.  6am this moring I got a text from my sister.  She's ok, just wants to chat, anytimg after 12noon tomorrow.  I texted back that I would call her aorund 1pm tomorrow.  It would be easier if both my sister would use Zoom, we could see each other and chat but they won't use it.  

Respected Contributor

I really like to text, but if it starts turning into a full conversation, I will call a friend right then 😁.

Super Contributor

well, I am still in the dark ages under my rock. I still have my original Nokia phone from over 10 years ago. It is my first and only phone purchase at $9.95.  I don't text, don't even know how to.  The only time the phone is on is when I am in my car in case something happens.  I still have a land line in my home.  I am 68 years old and have no desire to catch up with technology.  I see all these people missing out on life and everything around them because of a phone.  I don't think my grandkids could make it through a day without it. Everyone knows that when you come to my house, no phones on.

Honored Contributor

If dh's kids want to talk to him they call.  Sometimes one of the kids will email me with a question that can be answered quickly but if they want a conversation with their dad, they have to call.  

Rarely do they pick up but they always return his call.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Pretty simple for me. I can't think of 1 single reason I would text anyone. Can I? Of course. 

To each their own, unless! Texting and driving is probably responsible for more vehicle crashes(not an accident in my world). My belief is that this should fall into the same category as DUTI.

Makes no difference to me why someone needlessly crashes into another vehicle while distracted/drunk or high.The result is the same. Prove texting? Motor Vehicle Homicide if there is a death.

If anyone is with me or conversing with me and says "hold that thought" to do something on a phone? I am gone! 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut  We saw someone on a motorcycle on the thruway doing 70 or 80 texting!

Esteemed Contributor

I test alot with my daughter only because taht's how the younger generation do things and she tells me more thing is a text than a phone call....LOL

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@hckynut  We saw someone on a motorcycle on the thruway doing 70 or 80 texting!

@proudlyfromNJ 

Just when I think I have seen it all!  I always wonder just how important can anything be, that any person in or on a moving vehicle, cannot stop and take care of business(?)?

Said it many times. I am an electronic nutcase, but the invention of the cell phone? Doesn't even make my top 100 list of technological advancements. Used for the original intended purpose, talking, yes! Distraction and rudeness, nah!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I had a nokia flip phone for the longest time too and had no desire to get a smart phone even though my kids encouraged me to many times.

What changed was when they had children and sent pictures and group texts to each other and then its a whole different ballgame.

We all did facebook for awhile then stopped. I didn't really like it and neither did they.

Young children and then their children text a lot. I would miss out on a lot if I didn't text!

Like @Nataliesgramma , said, we tell each other many things through text.

But we also email, call and facetime too.

It's a whole different world when you have young adult children and grandchildren. If I want to "see" them and communicate in all the ways they do, I wanted to learn.

It took many calls and trips to the phone store and tears asking how do I do this or that before I got the hang of a smart phone.

I do believe though that when together in person, the phones should be put down and just enjoy each other's presence.

It really bothers me when some can't put their phones down, playing a game or looking on twitter or whatever. It's rude and also hurtful, like the people around you aren't important or interesting enough.

And drivers, put the phones down! I can always tell when someone is on their phone when driving. They will space out and go slooow, and then speed up, or veer over the line etc.

It really is a dangerous thing to do.

All my kids had cell phones before I ever did. My daughter got one in highschool so I could pick her up after school sports and also she could communicate where she was at all times.

I got one much later after threatened by a driver. It was scary. I was going the speed limit and he got angry that he was behind and couldn't go faster, I guess?! I pulled over and he rolled down his window and stopped and yelled at me. That's when I thought I need a cell phone too!

It is always what your comfort level is until you have no other option if you want to "see" your kids as much as possible in any way possible. Especially now!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: TEXTING VS. CALLING

[ Edited ]

I text with my kids almost everyday...usually quick & short messages.  It's a great way to keep in touch quickly.

We all Zoom Sunday afternoons (I have to make sure that we don't schedule while the football game is on!)