Honored Contributor

TEXT BROUGHT ME TO TEARS

[ Edited ]

My DGD is in her 20's and we've always been very close. She lives in So. Cal. with DS and DDIL and younger brother, the place I'm originally from.

We text and talk a lot and last evening I got 2 texts from her. One told me that she cherishes the memories that we share. The one that made me cry said "You made my childhood so much fun".

She has a 2 years younger sister who died 14 years ago from cancer but I spent tons of time with the girls. After DGD #2 was gone, #1 and I spent even more time together. I've got these texts locked so I can keep them always.

Being a grandma is so wonderful!

Honored Contributor

Re: TEXT BROUGHT ME TO TEARS

@Love my grandkids   How wonderful.  You'd better print out those texts so you'll make sure to have them always. I have two grandsons and have no relationship with them.  Their mom and my son (deceased) were divorced and they always lived some distance away.  One is now in the Navy in Japan and the other lives and works in far South Texas.  I haven't seen them since 2006.  They do graciously accept my checks at Christmas. I never hear from either except a thank you. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

yes...being a grandma is wonderful....2 days ago my 18 year-old granddaughter got a positive covid test....her 16 year-old sister had a meltdown....and asked if she could quarantine with me....i'm fully vaccinated....she has a supportive family...but just needed to get out of her house for a few days.....can't tell you how wonderful that made me feel....and how wonderful it is to have her with me........and yes....it brought me to tears....

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 I"m so sorry. That is so sad. They don't know what they're missing not having a relationship with their grandmother.

Contributor

@Kachina624  So sorry to hear of your relationship with your grandsons. I do thik it's rotten that they accept your Christmas "gifts" but they can't even call you to see how you're doing. My heart goes out to you!

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids    Yes and I'm sure I've missed a lot too. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I think that, for a lot of us grandmas, not being able to be with our grandchildren is one of the hardest parts of this pandemic.

Yesterday DH and I saw our granddaughter since Christmas; it was a wonderful visit, especially when my little granddaughter told me she loved me and has missed us a lot. She also drew a picture especially for me and I helped her sign and date it. (I keep all of those things from her in a special file in my filing cabinet.)

Just to hold and hug and kiss those precious little ones--there's not much in life that's any better.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Love my grandkids   How wonderful.  You'd better print out those texts so you'll make sure to have them always. I have two grandsons and have no relationship with them.  Their mom and my son (deceased) were divorced and they always lived some distance away.  One is now in the Navy in Japan and the other lives and works in far South Texas.  I haven't seen them since 2006.  They do graciously accept my checks at Christmas. I never hear from either except a thank you. 

always read your posts....you sound like a wonderful person...it's definitely THEIR LOSS not to have a relationship with you.....hopefully someday they will reach out to you....

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids  She sounds like a real sweetheart.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

It is very different with male children and their male children.  It is extremely wonderful if daughters have daughters. That is my finding anyway.