Honored Contributor

Re: Switching providers for medicare

@ladyann45 wrote:

Be careful doing that because if you have special doctors, make sure you can continue to go to them. People have learned the hard way on that. 

@ladyann45   On the website you are prompted to add your doctors as well as any medication.  That information weeds out many plans.

Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Carmie ...we do have a phone meeting later this month.  He has his insurance thru the State of Ohio ...he was employed by the state for many years.

We always get a letter telling us to go to their website to compare plans and then they would discuss any changes during that meeting.

Our biggest issue is his drug plan - he never knows (like everyone else) what a prescription will cost - this month eliquis was almost $100.00 more than 3 months ago.

thanks.

I only found out recently that you can appeal a drug price with your script plan..DH's2nd appeal is pending...there is no generic for Eliquis.That is why he appealed it a second time.

One script company wanted him to try 2 other  cheaper meds before they "might" give him a lower price on Eliquis..We won't mess with what has been helping him.

Honored Contributor

@judianne wrote:

Why would you have to do underwriting ?  l thought you can switch insurance during Medicare Open Enrollment ?  l was told you only need to answer medical questions if you want to go from an Advantage plan to a regular supplement . l also would figure it would be really hard to get through any medical underwriting since by the time people get Medicare most will have medical issues that would exclude them .

@judianne - only I'm a few states can you switch from one supplement plan to another without going through underwriting.  I'm in Georgia and have plan G through Anthem. If I wanted to keep Plan G and just switch carriers, I would have to go through underwriting. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Plan N is plan N no matter who sells it.  The coverage is exactly the same.

The prices listed for supplements are normally for those new to Medicare within their open enrollment period.  

It doesn't sounds like your DH is within his 6 month open enrollment period.  After that, it is almost impossible to just change insurance companies.  Most charge a higher price and have underwriting guidelines.

Mostly, it is not allowed. You cannot shop for a different supplement, but you can for Advntage Plans and RX coverages every year during the open enrollment period.

You should check to see if the new insurance company will allow your DH to enroll.  My guess is that will not.

If he was a state employee...why would he want to seop is group coverage for another policy?  If they are dropping him, that would be diffeeent and he could pick up a plan with another,company.

@Carmie This time of year they PUSH retiress to their website to look at and compare plans and to make changes if warranted.  So confusing, but I have a list of questions when we talk with the licensed broker - I need to understand this better.  

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Plan N is plan N no matter who sells it.  The coverage is exactly the same.

The prices listed for supplements are normally for those new to Medicare within their open enrollment period.  

It doesn't sounds like your DH is within his 6 month open enrollment period.  After that, it is almost impossible to just change insurance companies.  Most charge a higher price and have underwriting guidelines.

Mostly, it is not allowed. You cannot shop for a different supplement, but you can for Advntage Plans and RX coverages every year during the open enrollment period.

You should check to see if the new insurance company will allow your DH to enroll.  My guess is that will not.

If he was a state employee...why would he want to seop is group coverage for another policy?  If they are dropping him, that would be diffeeent and he could pick up a plan with another,company.

@Carmie This time of year they PUSH retiress to their website to look at and compare plans and to make changes if warranted.  So confusing, but I have a list of questions when we talk with the licensed broker - I need to understand this better.  

It is very rare that a state insurance plan would be identical to a plan on the market. Be aware that Plan N DOES NOT cover RX drugs. You must purchase a separate RX plan to go with it.  That would add to the cost.

Often a group plan includes other benefits that the supplements on the market do not include.  Be sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  Yes I do understand about the drugs - he has a separate drug plan...Our phone meeting is not with a broker we found to help us it is with a licensed person thru the group that handles the retirees drug and health plans.

Regular Contributor

If the provider accepts traditional Medicare they must accept the supplemental. Since he already had a plan N his doctors must be accepting traditional Medicare. Supplemental plans do not have networks. 

Regular Contributor

@ladyann45 wrote:

Be careful doing that because if you have special doctors, make sure you can continue to go to them. People have learned the hard way on that. 

If the doctor accepts traditional Medicare they must accept the supplemental. Supplemental plans do not have networks. If he already has a supplemenatal plan it does not matter if he changes to a different supplemental plan. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Carmie  Yes I do understand about the drugs - he has a separate drug plan...Our phone meeting is not with a broker we found to help us it is with a licensed person thru the group that handles the retirees drug and health plans.

Oh, I get it now.

Group insurance is not available to the general public.  It is unique to the group only.

There is no way anyone would know about the " PLANS" offered to you except the people who are handling your insurance.

You will have to wait until they contact you and explain the plans. All group insurance is different and only the group representives will know anything about it.

Honored Contributor

I am a retired state employee.  We have the largest group, therefore, get the best rates.

I won't change.