Trusted Contributor

Swarm of Bees/Cicades in Back Yard

I had the most interesting thing happen today.  I was in my family room and I was just about to open the window.  I looked out and say a million bees or  cicadas flying in about 1/3 of my back yard and my neighboors about 50% of her yard.  I was like WHAT in the world.  Of course, I didnot open my window.

After second I said..they might not be cicades...they were quiet....so...I doubted it

I went in the dining room to the bay window to get a better view.  IT was millions of them flying.  I called my neighboor and told her don't open your window and don't go outside but look out.  DO you see insects flying???  She said about 1/2 her back yard was filled with bees.  I ran to my front window and while all the bees were in the back, no bees were in the front.

It was like an invasion or the 2020 African locust event.  I admit, I was scared.  But in like 10 minutes they all flew away. It was like they were in a group going to a new location. They flew out her yard and into another yard like they were traveling.  Have you ever seen this before? 

I know many of my QVC Friends live in various places and have seen many things.  I live in MD outside Washington DC and I swear I have lived in this house for 20 years and never seen such a thing,

I did google and interstingly Bees can swarm and move in a large group to a new location due to various reasons.  I was just outside about 30 minutes before the event, no bees.  I worked in the yard all day yesterday and no bees.  I had my roof replaced last year, no bee hive, I looked all around my house, no bees

Well that is my interesting event for today.  

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Swarm of Bees/Cicades in Back Yard

My goodness!  This is very interesting and I'm so glad everyone is safe.  I can't wait to see the responces.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Happiness Is Inside JOB,

Wow, that is interesting but must have been alarming too, like Alfred Hitchcock's the Bird's only with a swarm of insects.

I never had that happen but something similar and also so strange and unexplainable-

I was in our small house with my 3 year old daughter, the others in school. The house was normal and no windows open.

The next thing I knew there were

like you described "millions" (seemd like it!) flies! The air was covered with them. Where in the world did they come from all of a sudden.

We lived in a place that had maintenance very well established there. Everyone called them for everything. I called and a man came and told us to leave the house.

I don't know what he did and he had never seen anything like it either but when we went back in, he had gotten rid of them all. I guess he opened windows because there were no dead flies all over.I was so grateful he came!

My daughter was freaked out whenever she saw a fly for many years. Both of us will never forget it.

has anyone ever had something like this happen? I mean they were covering the air, the walls, the windows! So freaky!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

About 2 weeks ago, this story made the national news.  In Las Cruces, NM, a guy parks his car leaving some windows down and goes into a grocery store.  When he comes out a few minutes later, a swarm of bees had moved into the back seat of his car.  They had to get a bee keeper to remove them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

If OP is in MD there is a high likely hood that these are cicadas ( used to be 17 year cycle but per Washington Post may be as low as 13 year cycle).. I grew up in Silver Spring and remember the invasion of 1954 very well; they were suddenly everywhere and in a couple of weeks,nowhere.  Whether its cicadas or bees there ought to be carcuses around to be sure.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like honeybees to me.  In the spring, they often leave the old hive and swarm until a new location is decided upon.  The queen stays in the swarm, and various scout bees go out in search of a new home. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I dont know if they were bees and cicades....I did not hear any noise but I really don't know cause I didn't open the window.  It sounded quiet.  But I was scared.  

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

Do cicadas sting? Yikes.  I think I'd be pretty darned scared, too.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Do cicadas sting? Yikes.  I think I'd be pretty darned scared, too.

@Lucky Charm    No, absolutely harmless.  They just make an  annoying racket. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

About 2 weeks ago, this story made the national news.  In Las Cruces, NM, a guy parks his car leaving some windows down and goes into a grocery store.  When he comes out a few minutes later, a swarm of bees had moved into the back seat of his car.  They had to get a bee keeper to remove them. 

@Kachina624 

I just want you to know that I had nothing to do with that. Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~