Super Contributor

Surrounding pain after having an old filling replaced...ugh

[ Edited ]
The tooth itself is not hurting, but the jaw sometimes hurts and up to the ear and sometimes the left side of my head. A lot of times experiencing a dull headache. This 'surrounding pain' (for lack of better wording) did not start until Friday, and has been happpening all weekend and now today (Monday). It will be one week tomorrow that the old filling was replaced. Had no issues the first few days. Only seemed to begin on Friday.... 

Backstory: This tooth chipped about 4 or 5 yeas ago, while eating a (soft) sandwich. I went to the dentist and just had the broken part smoothed down. This tooth had a very large amagram/silver very old filling. I was very diligent about keeping the tooth/teeth clean. Never caused me pain, but that dentist wanted me to get a crown or at least a replacement filling, and I said I wanted to 'wait and see' if I had any problems with that tooth.

Went to dentist #2 back in January, and she recommended the same thing. I was then thinking, okay, go see my family dentist for my next exam (which was last week). My family dentist has been my dentist for 30 years now, he knew my family before he became my dentist, so I trust him. Plus he is a perfectionist and very OCD about cleanliness (as any dentist should be). So, I figured he would know best.

He replaced the old amgaram filling with a composite. While he was 'drilling away' I heard him mention a few times (to the assistant?), 'we have to remove the old black stuff'..(I assumed he meant to old filling that kind of looked black, but after reading online, bacteria..?)

I did not notice this pain until Friday (I had it replaced Tuesday). This past weekend, I've had moderate headaches, again, some intermittent pain on the left side of my head, and the left side of my jaw up to my ear. Not horrific pain nor consistent, I would rate it on a scale of 1 to 10 level of pain at about 2 to 4 level of pain. So, not horrific, but definitely uncomfortable.

Been reading around and I see sometimes this can last for a couple weeks. Also been reading around and seeing a root canal and crown might be possible. My insurance does not cover all of that, and my family dentist does not accept my insurance, and I wish he explained this possibility to me before replacing the old filling, as this seems somewhat common. FWIW, I wish I never had the old filling replaced..it was not causing any pain or problem.

So very sadly I am thinking of having the tooth extracted..I've read a few places about root canals can also lead to health problems and it might be best if a tooth is bad to just extract it versus a root canal. The theory is not to save a 'dying tooth'. I guess the dentist can tell how bad it is, but again, I wish these possibilities were discussed before he replaced the old filling.

My family dentist has always said my oral hygiene is really great and that I take really good care of my teeth (never did as a child, unfortunately). I had braces so that is when I began to really become fanatical about taking care of my teeth.

So bummed..I can't afford a root canal and crown...Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

I hate bothering the dentist, as it looks like some online places say this is normal..but my gut tells me this should not be happening. I have not had any fillings in over 30 years, so I forget what it's like afterward, and I've never had old fillings replaced (and likely never will again, unless there is a problem)...

Sadly if there is some issue and a root canal discussion is the possibility, I will sadly likely just have the tooth removed..not a good thing, I know..but I can't afford the root canal and crown procedures...Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad 
Trusted Contributor

Re: Surrounding pain after having an old filling replaced...ugh

I would go with your gut.  I'm sorry you're having these problems.  I know what it's like after dental work and you have pain and other issues in your mouth that weren't there before.  It's very frustrating.  I don't know what to tell you.  I'm anxious to see what others here advise.  

Respected Contributor

Call your dentist and describe what’s happening. It’s possible that there are some high spots on the new filling that are causing the pain because your bite’s off. If so, your dentist can make a simple adjustment by smoothing the high spots with the drill. I know from personal experience that if your bite’s off, it could cause some of the symptoms you’ve described. Whatever’s causing your pain, you shouldn’t be self-diagnosing, much less determining that extraction’s the solution. I’d be very leery of a dentist who agreed to pull your tooth without discussing all of your options first. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

At the end of December I had what my dentist called a minor cavity filled.It was the second one I’ve ever had.The first was about 50 yrs ago!! It was found during my 6 month checkup.

The doctor filled it with composite material.It’s been 7 months & I still have sensitivity in the area.My dentist keeps reassuring me that nothing is wrong & that some people are more sensitive than others.She said it could last a year!!

If I had known that this was a possibility I would never have had it filled.I would have waited for it to bother me.

Did your dentist check to see if the filling re aligned your bite? Sometimes that could happen & cause the sensitivity.In which case he could file it down.This wasn’t the case with me,unfortunately.

I understand your discomfort.I’m in the same boat as you.In my case the tooth never bothered me before it was filled.Now it’s quite an annoyance. The area is extremely sensitive to cold & flossing.It also still hurts off & on & radiates.

I hope we both feel better soon!!

Valued Contributor

You hate bothering your dentist?  Seriously?  Call him!

Super Contributor

Nicksmom, I (luckily) do not seem to have cold and hot sensitivity. He asked me a few times to 'check my bite' and I told him it felt off a little bit, and he filed it down a couple times, each time placing some charcoal grey colored little piece of paper between the bite, having me bite down on the paper, I guess that is one way he checked to see the alignment..? Nothing seems too high when I bite down, but I guess it is worth asking about. I will definitely call, if nothing else for peace of mind...

Trusted Contributor

Do you think it could be pain in the joint on the side of your face from keeping your mouth open for a long time? I forgot what it's called. TMJ?

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

@Deree   I have TMJ.The experience definitely aggravated it!! 

Respected Contributor

If I'm reading your post right this last dentist was your third one.  It seems as though you like him so just stick with the one dentist.  Also, stop "reading around" and go back to the dentist.  I have had plenty of dental work done and if something hurts they want to know about it.

Like some said it could just need a small adjustment.

Respected Contributor

I agree with the others you need to contact your dentist.