Honored Contributor

Summer's Flying By at the Back Fence - August 2018

Welcome friends and visitors to the Back Fence where we gather to talk about this or that.  All are welcome to stop and chat.

Image result for late summer country scene with fence

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Summer's Flying By at the Back Fence - August 2018

I know pigeons can fly long distances and the two I saw this week might live far away however.....I saw an adult with a green band on it's leg on my garage roof on Monday and a young one with a red band on it's leg on my garage roof yesterday.

The young one also came today with a crew of 7 other pigeons.  The young one is not totally wild as it doesn't fly off quickly when the other birds scatter.  Also when I talk to it it looks like it wants to come near me.

On the one hand I'm glad it found a little group to pal around with.  On the other hand, it's easy picking for the neighborhood hawk.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're right Bird @Bird mama summer is flying by... And while part of it is probably where my head is at, part of it is this awful weather year we're having, but I don't even feel like we've had summer... I could count on my fingers and toes the number of reasonably nice summer days we've had... This pattern of rain and clouds and clouds and rain and on and on and on has really made this summer pretty much a non-event and almost a complete wash-out...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama, and everyone,

Looking forward to Fall,

http://www.goodlightscraps.com/content/fall-comments/fall-season-32.gif

Trusted Contributor

thanks for the new post Bernie. I'm not to thrilled for August to be here,being its our hottest month.

what a pain in the "whatever" trying to get my dental appts set. Dentist would not send oral surgeon X rays and referel cause he said they lose them if there sent too ahead of my visit. Oral surgeon would not give me an appointment till he received the X-rays and referel.give me a break guys!!!! My dentist was to call the surgeon to get me a earlier appt.,otherwise it would be Sept. 7 before I could even get a consult.they really have you over a barrel.

Bernie.my hubby never named his cars.i have only know women to do so,Ha!

Respected Contributor

Thanks Bernie for getting us moving again - always helps. Going to be another miserably sticky day. Yikes!!! And last night was another sweaty night.  Yesterday was the BD of my first born granddaughter - yikes, she was 49 as of yesterday. And that is a grand people - been telling you I am ancient. LOL. My cousin Barbara jean also had a BD yesterday. We have stayed close thru the years although we never lived real close except when she moved  to California and was here at least 10 years - that was good - then she up and moved with her Texas Momma back to Texas. Her Dad was the 27 year old Army pilot who lost his life in 1943 so while i remember him quite well, she does not. How sad. I was still a young one but I have strong memories of those WWII days.

Still muggy out here - wish it would  go away and to think August is also normally our hottest time of the year. Three years ago when we had that terrible heat wave during the drought we lost so many of our beloved four legged critters. People do not always use their heads when it comes to taking good care of their four legged buddies.

Stay cool everyone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl  I can't get close enough to either pigeon, even with binoculars to see any numbers on the band.

Between the pigeons and that pretty cat Oliver that I mentioned on the other thread I have dingbats to the left of me and dingbats to the right of me Woman Mad

The one consolation about the pigeons is that like their streetwise counterparts, they have a knack for finding my house so at least I know they are drinking and eating good.

Respected Contributor

Another grueling hot sticky day on tap. Not looking forward to it. These days are record setting days  - unusual for early August. Been a miserable summer so far. June was heavenly to be honest and perhaps the first week of July - that is about it. So very difficult to breathe in this sticky stuff. Not good for sitting out by the Fence which is unusual through the years. Darn it anyway. Even neighbors - well most of them - are not seen much in this weather. My next door neighbor however, last weekend drove me insane with their outside gatherings - Friday, Saturday and Sunday night - and they were noisy Saturday night up until about 2 a.m. That is stupid. His neighbor on the other side always joins him so I guess that is how he gets by as the noise curfew blows it's whistle at 10 p.m. Use to be 9 and that makes more sense. 10 is just too late quite frankly. Oh well.

Hope all stay cool. I do have some ice tea and all are welcome to partake of that. Have a good day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We were supposed to get rain all week.  I think it spritzed a little at the beginning of the week and that was it.  It felt humid to me and was much warmer than I expected as the week progressed so I didn't do much in my backyard.  I'll probably enjoy the outside once fall rolls in.  

I've got some impaired wildlife in the yard this year and I admire them for overcoming their disabilities.  There is a young black squirrel that is blind on it's left eye.  There is a male sparrow that I swore was holding up his right foot so as not to bear weight on it earlier in the season.  Well that little bird is missing the foot now - the stump healed and he's getting by.  

One of Grayson's pigeon buddies has a normal left foot (3 front toes and one back toe).  It's right foot has a normal middle toe and little stubs on either side and the back toe is short too.  I think that was a birth defect and not an injury.  When it comes to eat it gets around pretty good and wants to see Grayson so I will sit in the chair on the patio and supervise a visit.  Because I don't many any fast moves many of the birds will come by and eat while I am out there.

I think Grayson is my ambassador to the wild birds.  I guess when they see him come to me they figure I can't be all that bad :-)