Honored Contributor

Re: Summer is in Full Swing at the Bird's Nest - July 2019

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl  Hmmm, the only birds that I follow from parents romance until they fledge are sparrows and I have never seen them fledge at night. 

Once a bird is out of the egg and in the general population Woman Wink they develop remarkably fast.  I have photographs of my first two, courtesy of my late husband that showed feather development in the morning and feather development later in the same day and all I can say is wowsa.  I bet I would have been able to see the feathers grow out in front of my eyes if I hadn't worked full time and just watched the birds all day.

Their wings are probably ready, it's just the tail feather is a little short at this time.  Funny you should mention where do they go.  I've seen them jump up on limbs in my everygreen shrubs.

Mr Happy, the male fledgling sparrow that I met on Tuesday 7/2 happened to get startled out of the rehung bird's nest the morning of Wednesday July 3rd when I rolled the garage door up (on the patio part of the garage).  I went out that way that morning so that I could rinse and hose off the patio.  I had nuts for the squirrels and seeds for the birds and I knew my shoes would get wet and I didn't want to track anything in.

I saw Mr Happy running in the grass and hopping (above ground) so I picked him up, he screamed again and I put him in the house.  His wing feathers were fine - he need another day's growth on his tail feather.

About an hour later he fledged properly and I went out to look for him and it was like he disappeared.

They can move on foot pretty quickly and will hide among the plants and shrubs.  

@Bird mama   So happy Mr. Happy fledged. Smiley Happy

I have tons of plants to hide in but the shrubs are quite a distance from the deck.  they were so quiet last night before they were forced out.  I think they had just left the nest because I had heard them earlier during feeding.

I couldn't see legs last night, just looked like birds on the ground flapping wings.  They are very small birds, have seen Mom quite often.

Honored Contributor

Believe me I understand the concern about the fledglings @mousiegirl  Let's not forget that Oliver and Oscar (the cats) like to visit and/or sleep in my yard.  Oy, the anxiety.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl  I too canned and froze a lot years back but never froze fruits.  Thank you for letting me know how to properly freeze the strawberries.  We still have fresh strawberries in the fields so I may just try freezing them again but this time the correct way! 

Honored Contributor

After not seeing Gerry for nearly a month and then seeing him 2 days in a row, he's MIA again.  I saw the possum twice this week.  Last night around 9:30 I could still see some color in the sky from the setting sun.  The fireflies were sparking all over the back yard and there was the possum just poking around in the back yard.  Looked almost magical and otherworldly.

I have a young pigeon that is hanging around my patio.  It's not one of the banded ones from down the street.  They also visit.

This one likes to sit on my roof or likes to sit on  the stoop by the back door.  The pigeons won't drink out of the bowl or birdbath so I make sure there is a small pool of fresh water on the patio.  I have this one area that tends to pool a little and the pigeons come there for a drink.

The young pigeon is curious about me but won't get too close.  Hope the hawk doesn't get it.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Summer is in Full Swing at the Bird's Nest - July 2019

Because I wasn't there when he was born, we celebrate Grayson's birthday on the day he joined the flock.

Today is Grayson's 10th Heart

Have some cake

Image result for birthday cake grayson

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama  Ahhhhh..... Happy 10th birthday Grayson with many more to come!!!  Please give him some birthday kisses for me!!!  I am certain birdmama that you will make this a special day for him!!!  Thank you for the beautiful cake.   Yummy!!! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama   Grayson,

Related image

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama 

Happy 10th Birthday,   Grayson.    

Respected Contributor

Such a great picture of Conrad - Haven't been here in a couple days so am a tad late with comments. As everyone knows, I sure miss that sweetie.

Also want everyone to know I never felt a thing with either earthquake. That is super unusual for me as I can sense those things and then feel them. Something weird. Am not complaining however. but I do not like them at all. These - as strong as they were - were not real disasters at all compared to the past occurrences. Like I said, weird.

HOpe all are doing fine = did get the feeders all filed up. They seem to clean those feeders out and I never notice hordes of feathered friends doing it. They manage to sneak in I guess.

Hope all had a great day.