Respected Contributor

Re: Summer is Heating up the Back Fence - July 2018

Epi, you never know about mice. About 25 or 30 years ago we had a massive invasion of mice. They ate the insulation in my oven, chewed THROUGH the walls and managed to cause a lot of harm.  You could NOT buy a mousetrap anywhere - everyone was suffering and they were ALL gone. I almost choked one time during this when I saw a HUGE rat going up the pipe on the gas water heater, right into the attic. they were everywhere and me, like everyone else, went insane until the problem finally cleared. Not sure n ow but think the problem lasted several months. It was horrible. I think what got to me more than anything else was opening a drawer in the kitchen where my kitchen towels were and they were black with droppings - cleaned everything, sanitized it and about two days later - same thing. It was horrible. Thhis was over and over and over again. Lot of work getting those drawers and what was in the drawers sanitized and very clean. Yuck.

Hot here today - like all the rest we have had. And it is still very early JUly - just not right.

Have a great day everyone.

Trusted Contributor

Winifred,I don't care about the dust bunnies,but I am making sure the kitchen is clean,even more than usual. My concern is if you see a mouse,how many more are there that you don't see. We keep putting traps out,even tho we only caught two so  far.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Once you see a mouse in the house you are not going to be right for weeks Woman LOL  I remember a couple of years ago (Anna was still alive) when she and I were talking.  It was one of our late night jabber sessions and I was sitting on the couch of the family room when I saw something move out the corner of my eye.  Mind you, this is like 10:30 or 11 pm.

I threw the kitchen light on - open floor plan between the dining area and the step down family room and there it was, a mouse.  I managed to get the outside door in the family room open and said, you gotta go - I know it's cold out there, but you gotta go or I will have no choice but to kill you.

The thing ran along the hearth, behind the tv on the tv stand and exited the door.  I don't know how it got in and I was not right for weeks.

It is true, when you see one, you gotta be on the lookout for a family.

Cleanliness has nothing to do with it either.  You can be spotless and get one.  Mice are kind of like roaches like that - I think they prefer clean places.  

I will say though between a mouse or a roach, psychologically I can take a mouse just a little better.

What Freddie describes reminds me of many years ago, there was a city in Macomb county that developed a mouse/rat problem.  It was almost like a plague - don't know what triggered it but residents were darn near outta their minds.  Then it was over Woman Surprised

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

The safe/freezer ordeal is over.  The guys from 1800 Got Junk came today and we all got a surprise.  The freezer had 2 compartments - the higher shelf that I saw when I cleaned the concrete out and the deeper compartment that the safe was sitting on.  There were 3 more layers of bricks covered with a thin layer of concrete, like a layer cake.  I honestly can say I was horrified.

No wonder it took me hours to shimmy it into the main room of the basement on Sunday!

The one guy used a sledgehammer and beat the safe out.  He then broke up the bricks and I worked right alongside side him to remove the bricks. 

They only charged me $247 for all of that work and believe me, they worked on it for over an hour. 

I only had $60 in cash on me so I tipped each guy $20.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Winifred

YES.  Yes indeed, Sunday night- a beautiful sunset with a clear big crescent moon and bright Venus! 

In memory of newziesuzie

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama   

Every time I look at that safe and fridge I cringe. Now the heap of concrete. UGH. You must have some good muscles. lol if not before, you surely do now. I am glad you will make some $$ after this fiasco. I wonder what Mr. B would think of this now? lol. poof, gone. I am glad this is done now. Try not to look for anything else to do for awhile. lol

@Bird mama wrote:

@Leeny  I emptied the safe before I started all of this.  It was his gun safe and yes I will make some pretty good money with what was stored in there.

Here's how much concrete I pulled out.  I included a snow shovel in the picture as a reference point. 

IMG_1700 (300x225).jpg

Trusted Contributor

Spoiler

A job well done Bernie👏.

another hot day here and I'm feeling awful.my fibromyalgia is acting up,I have a lot of pain.my dear hubby made chili for supper,he does a good job of it,this A.M.i made frozen lemonade pie for dessert.it really hit the spot after that hot meal.theres plenty left over if anyone wants a slice or two.

Honored Contributor

Well I am enjoying the third day in a row of nice weather.  I take advantage of fresh air while I can get it.  Today is the 15 anniversary of the day I walked down the aisle and married my husband.  It almost feels like it happened to somebody else.  

I did grocery shopping this morning because my fridge was bare.  Well there was a pitcher of water in it, some low sodium V8 juice and some soy milk.

I'm really trying to not waste food so by the time I go shopping, I need to go shopping Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

it was actually nice enough outside today to sit out on the deck.but I had to put the ceiling fan on.

monday I go to the dentist. He will have his treatment plan and the cost 💸💸💸. I have decided to go to a oral surgeon to do the extractions,as I have numerous upper teeth to remove,then get dentures. It will take about 6-8 weeks to have everything done.believe me,I would rather chew on razor blades than to do this,plus,this will put me In a major fibromyalgia flare up.

today I made some peanut butter cup fudge.i will try it tomorrow when my daughter comes over to take her share. We make fudge for Christmas,and this is a trial run as we have never had it before.anyone want a taste?

Honored Contributor

Any excess fudge can be sent my way @Epicurean  Thank you, ahead of time Woman Very Happy

When it comes to extractions, especially multiples, I agree that an oral surgeon is the way to go. 

My Ma had to get dentures at a young age - we're talking 19 or 20 years old.  She said it was pyorrhea and that enamel was eroding on her teeth.  Dentist took impressions, made the teeth, her originals were pulled and with very little time in between, dentures were put in (like a couple of days). 

My Ma swore if God told her she could have her real teeth back, she would say, oh no thank you very much, I'm good Woman Very Happy

My Father fought getting dentures until he was older.

I can tell you I am my mother's daughter.  I have respect for my teeth and I take care of them.  That said, I am aware that they have the potential to kill me.  Bad teeth or severe infection could blind me, give me heart disease and I don't know what else.  

Epi, you have to do what is best for your long term health.  My Ma had dentures from a young age.  My brother in law needed dentures around the age of 30, my eldest sister was in dentures before the age of 40.  

Not one of them would take their natural teeth back if given the chance.  Someone reading might think - what?????  

Until you go through some stuff with your teeth, a person wouldn't understand.