Honored Contributor

Re: Summer is Heating up the Back Fence - July 2018

Well, I feel like I work in a quarry.  I am not making the progress I hoped to make and am wondering if I should have rented a more robust demolition hammer or upgraded to a demolition breaker.  

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to control something more heavy duty, plus I am working with a real cooler that has freon or some kinda of coolant in it.  If this was just a simple metal box, I'd go for a demolition breaker and hang on for the ride Woman Very Happy

I'm exhausted and getting slap happy.  I'm also trying to maintain a sense of humor about the situation and that is really hard as I feel like I am choking on some serious resentment towards my husband at this time.

I've run into screws and hubby's versus of re-bar.  It was a flipping safe to hold his flippen handguns.  It's not like he was hiding information about aliens and area 51 Woman Tongue or the hope diamond.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Well, I feel like I work in a quarry.  I am not making the progress I hoped to make and am wondering if I should have rented a more robust demolition hammer or upgraded to a demolition breaker.  

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to control something more heavy duty, plus I am working with a real cooler that has freon or some kinda of coolant in it.  If this was just a simple metal box, I'd go for a demolition breaker and hang on for the ride Woman Very Happy

I'm exhausted and getting slap happy.  I'm also trying to maintain a sense of humor about the situation and that is really hard as I feel like I am choking on some serious resentment towards my husband at this time.

I've run into screws and hubby's versus of re-bar.  It was a flipping safe to hold his flippen handguns.  It's not like he was hiding information about aliens and area 51 Woman Tongue or the hope diamond.

@Bird mama  LOL!  Hope you can manage it until it is done, didn't know you were going to tackle it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's a demolition update as of 2 pm, Friday the 13th.

IMG_1691 (300x225).jpg

Honored Contributor

Birdie @Bird mama I see you've unearthed the safe, but how far down does the freakin' cement go... If it's a deep as it looks, you should take a serious break and go back to this after a few days off... You're not used to doing 'hardhat' work...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb

The concrete was 30 inches high, 36 inches wide and 27 inches deep, lol.  

I have the makita demolition hammer rented for a week.  At this rate, it might take me a week to get it cleaned out.

At first I was trying to fill containers and take them to a place that recycles concrete.  You know me, I have to recycle.  I was running out of smaller manageable containers and it was starting to look like $25 a pop for more than one trip.

I changed plans today and emptied out the three containers that were in the trunk into a nice pile on the open side of the garage floor near the garage door.  I am going to treat myself and pay a local company to come and get it.  It may cost me $100-$150 to have them come shovel it up and take it away but in the long run will save wear and tear on my body.

Money ain't everything - I'd like to be able to use my arms for the next 20 years  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama,

Why didn’t you just offer this safe to someone else on the condition they figure how to get it out of the house?   

A true redneck could figure out the moving process.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop  Believe me when I tell you as I have 2 days of experience with concrete demolition in a tight space, there is no one who would want the safe that bad to do what I am doing.  It's not just getting rid of the safe, it's getting rid of all the concrete and then getting rid of the freezer.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama,

I understand what you’re doing, but all it would take to get that freezer as is, out of your basement would be a commercial wench and a lift, as in wrecker service, and it could’ve been out of your basement in half an hour- -providing there is easy access to the basement door.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop  Interesting idea.  Not feasible with the layout of my house.

Honored Contributor

Friday 7-13, last update for the day

IMG_1692 (300x225).jpg