Honored Contributor

Re: Summer is Heating up the Back Fence - July 2018

@Winifred wrote:

Not sure how I got through the day yesterday - just miserable. Very hard to breathe. Last night was one of the worst nights I can remember here as usually our nights are cool and nice. Had to keep the ACs running and left only the one on in my bedroom. I do not have central cooling, only window units and they normally work exceptionally well. They struggled yesterday and the house never got cool. I was soaking wet ALL night long - just miserable.

It;s the pits when you cannot find even a little space to cool off in. There are a lot of cooling areas out here - they are always good about that. Our community center stays open as do quite a lot of other places when it is unusually hot and stuffy. A lot of people have NO cooling at all. Sad. But yesterday while I have it, they were struggling as the air was so hot and thick. Really hard to breathe with my COPD.

I think I may be drinking a lot of water again - well that is good for me and I usually do not drink enough - sure did yesterday.

Stay cool everyone - will not be sitting out at the Fence very much today.

@Winifred  I find sleeping with a wet towel around my neck and wherever else I am burning up, lets me sleep.

Trusted Contributor

tomorrow is to be a bit cooler,sure hope so.

i have a big pot of spaghetti sauce cooking on the stove.it smells so good,but will have some tomorrow.thinking of making lasagna for a change plus some extra to freeze.then freeze the rest of the sauce in containers with just enough for the two of us.I made about 7quarts,it's just as easy as makes a little. 

Have had my daughters dog for the past week,we love her but will sure be glad totaled her home tonight.my SIL's mother ashes were buried this week. She passed away while he was sick,so finally had her service.

everyone stay in and stay cool and safe.

Respected Contributor

And to top it off we have a nasty fire in the hills out front - so we are now also dealing with the nauseating smoke. It is in Forest Falls which is a hop skip and jump from my home but I am fine - I am always terrified of fires. Horrible. Mousiegirl I use the wet towel day time but would not use it at night - already sweat like a hog but those cooling towels are great daytime.

Birds need more food so am hoping it will be cooler tomorrow morning. So weird that this morning was hot - very strange for us. I filled ALL the feeders yesterday morning so they got them emptied out today - they are staying healthy.

Hope all are cool

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Would love to know what part of the country everyone is in..it sounds like it is hot no matter where you are...I am in Texas....my hydrangeas are fried in the shade and it just gets down to mid '80s at night. My mother used to tell me that autumn would always come....and bring cooler weather...I still believe that...but would like it to be before December....did I mention how much I hate the heat? I hope everyone is able to find some relief from the heat, no matter where you are...

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess  Shout out to you in the great state of Texas.  I am in the SE part of the great state of Michigan.  It was beautiful on Friday, Saturday and most of today.  I know it's going to heat up so I just closed my windows and kicked on the A/C.  It sure was great to have almost 3 days of tolerable weather and fresh air.  We're gonna ramp back up in heat through the entire week - sigh.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

today,im in N. Virginia,it is in the 70's. Just LOVLEY outside. I layed out on the deck and read for a while as I was tired. I,earlier made two pans of lasagna. One for tonight and one for the freezer. Also put two containers of sauce in the freezer. Whenever possible I like to fix double a recipe,then when in not feeling to great I have something ready for dinner.

slept late again today,I wanted to go to the farmers market.there are others,but the best one is only on Sunday's.youd better get there early as they are always crowded.

Honored Contributor

Today turned out to be pretty - a little warmer, but still pretty.  I closed up the windows around 3pm and kicked on the A/C.  It was nice to have a 3 day break from the heat.  

Trusted Contributor

Heat is moving back in.  I'm better but computer doesn't help my situation so will be scarce.  I have a hole in left ear drum which is old news. They want to do balance test. Don't think so.  Also struggling with eyes so have that appt in August. In other words, I'm pretty much a mess. .  

Respected Contributor

Betty, so sorry to read you still are having problems - even more. Take care my good friend> Also stay cool - now that is something I cannot figure out how to do in these past few days - absolutely miserable.

Honored Contributor

We had a couple of nice days here then that was over Woman Very Happy  I spent some time working on cleaning out that garage addition.  That's more or less a summertime project that has been on the back burner since my husband died over 11 years ago.  I've gone through dozens of boxes, sorted through and purged various metal objects that range from rusty caulking guns and spare tire irons to jars and jars of nuts/bolts/screws.  I've been able to recycle most of it.

Monday was 'getting in the rafters' day - wow did I find a stash of random pieces of wood.  There is more up there, it was hot and I could only stand so much.  I'm happy to say that I found a local yard associated with a mid michigan wood recycling company (who knew they existed) and I got rid of one load of scrap wood yesterday.

I'm in the process of reaching out to local concrete people - like concrete removal/installation for advice on the type of professional I need to remove the concrete out of the stand alone freezer.  

My basement has been walled off into 3 areas - main, laundry and furnace. In the furnace room is the stand alone freezer that hubby decided to fill with concrete (when I was at work one day) so he'd have a place to set in a safe for valuables.  He never gave me a clue he was gonna do it and I found out when I got home from work.  Dude could move fast when he wanted to.  Amazing how quickly that "Quick-Crete" sets.

In theory not a bad idea.  Had we talked about it, I would have said, let's move the freezer into the main room first.  As it is, I need a new furnace.  I've been putting it off for a couple of years.  I knew almost 5 years ago that the heat exchangers were going, they sure clang alot when the furnace is starting and stopping.

Anyways, I need to move the freezer in that room to allow the furnace people to do what they do.  I can't move the freezer which is 33 inches high, 27 inches deep and I don't recall how wide, because it is filled with concrete. I'm leery about hiring a handyman.  The room is small and the water heater is not that far from the freezer and I envision flying concrete chunks puncturing my water heater.

I've thought about trying to break up the concrete myself.  I don't think I have the arm strength plus this was a viable freezer that had/has coolant in it.

I get  feeling that I am going to be paying through the nose for this. That's assuming I can find someone qualified who will do the job.