Honored Contributor

Re: Summer is Coming to the Back Fence - June 2018

Oh Betty @yock  I am so sorry to read that you have Meniere's disease.  I My husband's ex son inlaw had it and I've heard it is debilitating.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Yock,take care. Hope your well soon

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello and happy humpday to everyone Woman Very Happy   

I see that being retired is not slowing down the passage of time.  My father told me (when I was a child) that time seemed to have sped up the older he got.  I blamed time getting away from me on being busy at work, running a home, blah, blah, blah.  Well I'm retired nearly 3 months and time is flying by like a rocket Woman Surprised.

I continue to work in the garage addition.  I've sorted through and purged all of the boxes that were on the shelves.  I've also sorted and purged the metals - various duplicate tools like caulking guns, nuts, bolts, scr3ws, you name it.  I might have to do a fine sort on the metals again, once I finish the first pass of everything else.

I know I'm unusually attached to my recycling center Woman Tongue  I've been able to recycle about 95% of everything that has been removed from the garage addition.  I need to get in the rafter and remove the wood.  Hubs took sheets of wood, old wooden shelves and laid them over the rafters to make even more storage Woman Surprised  I think I saw a really old fashioned looking metal wash tub up there.

I did peep up there with a flashlight on Tuesday afternoon and I did see a little mouse (deceased) in the far corner.  I'll be extra careful when I get to that corner to remove the wood planking.  I don't want the mouse to fall on me plus I have this thing about treating the dead with respect, even though I'm probably responsible for it's death.  

I had to revisit the second story front gutters on Sunday - saw a clog in the corner that was preventing rain from hitting the downspout.  I've learned how to work with my telescoping pole and duct taping tools to the end of it so as to minimize having to get all the way up there on the ladder.  Smarter, not harder, lol.

It was raining pretty hard today so I rechecked the first floor gutters and cleaned them out.  I looked like a drowned rat when I was done but it was okay because I planned on taking a bath this morning anyway.  

There's always something to do around this house.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Hello and happy humpday to everyone Woman Very Happy   

I see that being retired is not slowing down the passage of time.  My father told me (when I was a child) that time seemed to have sped up the older he got.  I blamed time getting away from me on being busy at work, running a home, blah, blah, blah.  Well I'm retired nearly 3 months and time is flying by like a rocket Woman Surprised.

I continue to work in the garage addition.  I've sorted through and purged all of the boxes that were on the shelves.  I've also sorted and purged the metals - various duplicate tools like caulking guns, nuts, bolts, scr3ws, you name it.  I might have to do a fine sort on the metals again, once I finish the first pass of everything else.

I know I'm unusually attached to my recycling center Woman Tongue  I've been able to recycle about 95% of everything that has been removed from the garage addition.  I need to get in the rafter and remove the wood.  Hubs took sheets of wood, old wooden shelves and laid them over the rafters to make even more storage Woman Surprised  I think I saw a really old fashioned looking metal wash tub up there.

I did peep up there with a flashlight on Tuesday afternoon and I did see a little mouse (deceased) in the far corner.  I'll be extra careful when I get to that corner to remove the wood planking.  I don't want the mouse to fall on me plus I have this thing about treating the dead with respect, even though I'm probably responsible for it's death.  

I had to revisit the second story front gutters on Sunday - saw a clog in the corner that was preventing rain from hitting the downspout.  I've learned how to work with my telescoping pole and duct taping tools to the end of it so as to minimize having to get all the way up there on the ladder.  Smarter, not harder, lol.

It was raining pretty hard today so I rechecked the first floor gutters and cleaned them out.  I looked like a drowned rat when I was done but it was okay because I planned on taking a bath this morning anyway.  

There's always something to do around this house.

@Bird mama  That is the annoyance of house cleaning, it is never done.

DH has tons of wood in the garage also, and his Grandfather's old tool trunk and tools, in addition to all of his including a table saw.  If he hadn't had to work all of these years, he could have built houses, pretty handy to have around, lol.

DH's attitude has changed with age, he is now painting the rec room ceiling on Sundays, and moans and groans, but we are saving money by doing it ourselves.  I can help with the walls.

I admire your gutter cleaning.  I bought a sun Jo leaf blowers and the extra attachments for cleaning out the gutters from the ground, but DH keeps telling me to call someone, and I tell him no, he has to at least try to do it, so will see if that happens this Fall.  He is such a curmudgeon that you would think he would leap at the chance to do it himself, well maybe not leap, lol.  I have to remind him that we are not rolling in dough, so we have to do what we can.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  the first story gutters are a piece of cake - don't need more than a standard step ladder.  the second story was something else - my little giant ladder wasn't long enough to reach so I had to wrestle with the extension ladder and figure that thing out.  I am getting smarter now and think I can use the telescoping pole that has shepherds hook duct taped to it at this time, lol.  The pole goes 32 feet and I can reach quite a bit if I am on a regular ladder and use the pole.  The back upstairs gutter needs to be looked at - now there is nothing but concrete to land on if it goes south.  At least with the front yard my fall would have been broken by some shrubs, lol.

I am not crazy about heights in general so I will spend 30 minutes plotting and planning before I even step on a ladder rung.  Plus I wear good gym shoes with grip on them and move really slowly.  

Respected Contributor

Quite chilly now but never fear it will get blazing hot before long. This COLD and then HOT sure zaps you.

If I can find some energy will try and snip some of the small dead limbs off one of the trees in the back yard. They are so straggly looking but driving around I see more trees like that rather than the way they use to look - full and beautiful. That drought sure left a legacy - some people still have the full and gorgeous trees - they probably have $$ and can afford professional gardeners. Sigh. Sure makes a difference. Not even sure if I can get those things trimmed. Just holding that tree trimmer is  troublesome any more. Will try it as day before yesterday I got some lower ones snipped but this time it will require a ladder. We shall see - if not will get Davey to do it. Of course I will have to stand right out there with a whip to ensure it gets done. LOL. 

Have a great day everyone. Leaving some coffee - it tastes really good right now - later will have some ice tea ready.  

Honored Contributor

The July thread is available

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Among-Friends/Summer-is-Heating-up-the-Back-Fence-July-2018/m-p/4751688...